Re: Spraying? Peeing? Pooing?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WELL, despair not! Accidents DO happen in the best of households! Don't blame the cat, ever...make sure it's not something clinically the matter by letting your veterinarian assess the problem and rule out anything dire. Older cats and those with dysplasia and arthritis/stiffness are more apt to be incontinent than other cats. Unneutered males and a surprising number of unspayed females will spray, as will a significant number of "fixed" cats, for a variety of reasons. A good reference to have is CAT vs. CAT by Pam Johnson-Bennett (Penguin Books, 2004: ISBN 0-14-200475-8) which should be readily available through Amazon.com and all of the usual places. A must-have in my house is Nature's Miracle Just For Cats enzymatic stain/odor remover liquid, available at Petco, PetsMart, and other fine "pet" supply stores. I buy it by the gallon. It is money-back guaranteed to remove completely any stain or odor, following the directions. IT WORKS. Don't get mad at the cat. Get this cleaner and use it.

chaunte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I understand if the cat has an infection, but if its doing it just to do it or make you mad, I will yell. LOL They know better. They aren't stupid.

Thanks for the info.
My cats are really good *knock on wood*.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dear Chaunte:

Cats NEVER "do it just to do it or make you mad". Read the book I recommended -- it is a treasure trove of Cat 101 information. (I yell, too, sometimes, but never for these reasons. There IS an underlying cause when cats go outside the litterbox, or spray. We owe it to the cats we love to find out why, not to blame them for doing something that is not their fault.

salaizia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree, cats generally dont do things to upset you, there is a reason and being mean to your cats will only worsen problems when they arise, your cats may be smart but some of the things humans do sometimes dont make sense. Another good way to get bad stains out and PREVENT more stains is white vinegar. It wont hurt your carpet and the smell will evaporate but the cats can stll sense it there and wont spray there again.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We use www.nokout.com. Nature's Miracle doesn't work for us.

The only problem I have with Pam Johnson-Bennett's book is that she recommends using a spray bottle with water to help alter unwanted behavior (not related to peeing problems). I think it's far more important to simply "speak" to cats in a language they understand rather than scare the wits out of them. A loud hiss or short sharp puff of air in the face is far more effective to help discourage jumping on counters, etc.

chaunte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a cat that had a peeing problem.
I know she had issues, but she is gone now.

I only say this because I have a spiteful cat. lol
almost human like.

She would get mad at me & do things that would irritate me.
Like jump on the shelve & look right at me. I cleaned the litterbox & minutes later after she got mad at me, she pooped on the floor.
Maybe most cats are not like that, but SHE is. lol

A few weeks ago, she smelled a cat outside from an opened window.
All of the sudden, she squat down & peed!!!! I was MAD!!!!!!! She has never done anything like that in all the years I've had her.
My husband said she probably did that to mark her territory & she did not want those cats in the house.
Ya see, years ago a cat adopted our pourch as her home & I fell in love with the cat & kept her. The other female cat (one I'm talking about) hated her & didn't want her living there. The cat died & that's when she started doing this. I've only seen her do it once.

What do you guys think?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DEFINITELY territorial in the first instance, and regarding the shelf-jumping, some of "mine" do that, too; I do not believe, however, based on all I have read, that it is "spiteful", nor do I attribute "human-like" emotions to someone who is feline. (Actually, it's next to impossible to tell what ANYONE else is feeling, let alone someone of a different species, with different wants, needs, and motivations!) PS By the way, your CATS sure are cute!!!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Chaunte

I had a cat that had a peeing problem.
I know she had issues, but she is gone now.

I only say this because I have a spiteful cat. lol
almost human like.

She would get mad at me & do things that would irritate me.
Like jump on the shelve & look right at me. I cleaned the litterbox & minutes later after she got mad at me, she pooped on the floor.
Maybe most cats are not like that, but SHE is. lol

A few weeks ago, she smelled a cat outside from an opened window.
All of the sudden, she squat down & peed!!!! I was MAD!!!!!!! She has never done anything like that in all the years I've had her.
My husband said she probably did that to mark her territory & she did not want those cats in the house.
Ya see, years ago a cat adopted our pourch as her home & I fell in love with the cat & kept her. The other female cat (one I'm talking about) hated her & didn't want her living there. The cat died & that's when she started doing this. I've only seen her do it once.

What do you guys think?
I noticed you have your cats de-clawed. This can cause cats to have issues such as biting, litterbox problems. That is likely why your cat had issues.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, you're so right. That would certainly do it! Sure am hoping for the day when everyone knows the truth about declawing and NO ONE EVER DECLAWS A CAT!!!