20 year old dog?? What are these people thinking???

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

On craigslist...
im looking for someone that will take my 20 year old dog will give you a cage and dog box to put him in and will pay for the dog food and must allow us to come see him, i need to find him a home if not we will have to put him to sleep and i really dont want that someone plz help me with this i have had him since i was a lil girl.

trixtersmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
wow, 20 years old!? Why on earth, if a dog lived this long, would someone decide to give him up!? The heartbreak will probably kill him.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
she said she has been crying and upset to have to do it, but she is moving to a place that doesn't allow animals...

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor thing...

I just wish more places allowed animals--at the very least, with deposit to cover any damages.

A 20 year old dog is not going to chew anything up or be trouble at all--he is just going to sleep a lot of the time, and trot around on slow walks with his owner... That is about the least destructive pet you could possibly have in any place, except maybe for an old cat.

It really is sad.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

On craigslist...
im looking for someone that will take my 20 year old dog will give you a cage and dog box to put him in and will pay for the dog food and must allow us to come see him, i need to find him a home if not we will have to put him to sleep and i really dont want that someone plz help me with this i have had him since i was a lil girl.
if she's from the cleveland area, she should see if the sanctuary for senior dogs has any openings http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/OH103.html

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sweet72947

Sad to say, it might be better for the dog to be put down than to be rehomed at this point.
That's what I thought. Really...the heartbreak of loosing his family will kill him...

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No she is from Marietta, which I believe is way south. But I sent her the link anyways.

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd write to her and tell her to put the dog down. It would be much sadder to have the dog die from a broken heart, at least by having him PTS he will enjoy his last moments with the person he has known and adored all his life.

This seems kind of irresponsible, I would never leave my 20 year old dog in another home, just to move into a non pet home, i'd much rather live on the street with him until his death.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree 100% Julie.
Although I'm not a dog person ( I don't dislike them, I'm just scared of them ) ...maybe because a German Shepard tried to have me for lunch when I was in Kindergarten....I would NEVER do that to any animal.
Like you I would live in the park in a tent before I would go anywhere that my furbabies weren't welcome.

trixtersmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree. Thats just not right. I would figure something out before I sent my furkid off to live somewhere different, with different people, surroundings, etc. This dog has got to have sight problems. The whole change would be far too much for a dog this age. How unfair.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also wonder where are people's families? In my first marriage, dh was military, and we did end up with a no pet apartment for about a year. My parents kept our dog for us. As soon as we were able to get her back, we did. Because she knew my family, she was just fine with them.

By the way, we adopted her at a shelter. Her owner was turning in her dogs because they were retiring, and needed to be able to travel. Sheba was over 6 years old, so by that shelters rules, she was to be put down. We took her instead, and she was one of the best dogs I have ever had. I had a lot of lonely times as a Navy wife, and Sheba was there beside me all the way.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

I also wonder where are people's families?

By the way, we adopted her at a shelter. Her owner was turning in her dogs because they were retiring, and needed to be able to travel.
Sometimes people just don't have families to turn to for any kind of support. Me & DH are in this position.

I'm apalled at the retiring owner! OMG, you're supposed to look forward to spending more time with your dog!! We've lost 2 clients this year because they retired.

In the case of the 20 year old dog, I agree that it's probably better off being put to sleep.

I can't fathom owning a pet for that long and then abandoning it. It just wouldn't be an option.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JulieKit

I'd write to her and tell her to put the dog down. It would be much sadder to have the dog die from a broken heart, at least by having him PTS he will enjoy his last moments with the person he has known and adored all his life.
I tried to, I told her I saw her post and wanted to help. In just a few quick sentences I explained that the best thing to do might be to put the dog down because it would be too traumatic to try to rehome such an old dog. I gave her my number and said please elt me know what I can do to help. I also sent the link to the Senior Dog Rescue in Ohio and she sent a very nasty reply back that if I can't take the dog then butt out basically. She said by telling her to put the dog down I made her feel like *beep* and she had been crying non stop about it since she found out she can't have pets.

I was like, ooookaaaayyyy... so much for trying to help... I didn't send anymore emails, I just hope she looked into that senior dog rescue.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I tried to, I told her I saw her post and wanted to help. In just a few quick sentences I explained that the best thing to do might be to put the dog down because it would be too traumatic to try to rehome such an old dog. I gave her my number and said please elt me know what I can do to help. I also sent the link to the Senior Dog Rescue in Ohio and she sent a very nasty reply back that if I can't take the dog then butt out basically. She said by telling her to put the dog down I made her feel like *beep* and she had been crying non stop about it since she found out she can't have pets.

I was like, ooookaaaayyyy... so much for trying to help... I didn't send anymore emails, I just hope she looked into that senior dog rescue.
Well, you did the right thing by speaking up. You made her feel bad...what a joke.

I was very young when I got Sheba, and was more focused on the great luck that we got a wonderful dog when we couldn't afford to pay the adoption fees at the shelter. But looking back...the fact that the original owner was hugging her and crying showed that she was going to leave Sheba to be euthanized, rather than have her be a problem when they wanted to travel. (Hello, ever heard of a dog sitter?)

And I'm sure there are people without families to help out. I've been very blessed to have a pet supportive family, even if they all live in different states! I cannot imagine trying to rehome an elderly pet to strangers. Poor old dog...

jrosler04

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wish there was a way that i could help this poor pooch!! I am only about an hour away!
...but I already have a 17 year old chi- mix that isn't doing too well....

I think the big thing with her is probably, she doesn't want to see her die! and she is sick of the "messes" i see a LOT of animals given up for them!

deni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Let him go, it will make your heart hurt, but he will struggle in a new home as would the owners. Be with him, he knows you love him. It is the greatest kindness. You will always have the most wonderful memories. I can't find a smilie for sad but happy, your heart will find one.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, they sure can live that long...even longer.
My BIL had a dog, a Wire Haired Fox Terrier, and he was almost 22 years old when he died.
That dog was never sick a day in it's life poor old man just died of old age.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that makes me so mad!
wth is wrong with people these days?!!
that poor dog!
why can't people get animals are not disposable?!