I Lost my sweetheart Lenny Last Night :(

howiej

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For those of you who remember me, I had been on this board a few months back, detailing the illness of our sweet, older guy Lenny. He was diagnosed with Hyper-Thyroid and cystic liver disease back in May. My wife and I had to give him fluids and 4-5 injections, on top of two trans-dermal creams every day. Lenny was the sweetest, most beautiful Orange tabby I ever met. My wife and I adopted him together when he was 6. He was at the SF SPCA outreach @ a festival. There were ten kittens, and Lenny. He was a bit dirty and thin, and they did not know his previous status. Anyway, my wife and i were still dating at this point and I got Lenny to be a big brother to my sweetie Ragdoll, Vinnie. When my wife moved in with us 6 years ago, she brought her baby Jimi. Lenny was the definite Alpha cat, who had the sweetest disposition, and was extremely friendly and always talking. He had the most beautiful eyes, that I can't stop seeing.

About a month ago, we took Lenny in to our vet for a checkup, and his Liver results improved so much that the Vet called him the Miracle cat! His Thyroid levels were still very high, which left him at about 7.2 pounds (he used to be around 12). We loved him so much and took care of him as best we could. I took days off of work to be with him when he was sick.

My wife and I arrived home from work last night at the same time (rare), opened the door and saw Vinnie and Jimi. When we went into the bedroom, poor Lenny had gone over Rainbow Bridge and was on the floor
( I guess the only happy thing I can think about right now, as I cry profusely, is that at least he passed at home with his brothers around him, and we did not have to take the trip to the vet. However, I think I will be grieving for a very long time, as will my wife. I can not eat anything, and I've smoked 8 cigarettes already today.

I would like to really thank everyone on this board who has helped me in the past..

I am sorry that I did not visit this site lately, but I've been working two-three jobs to pay off my vet bills (still have 2k to go) and have not been on the net much lately. I sincerely appreciate the existence of this forum and all of the wonderful people here.

Most non cat lovers do not understand the love one can feel for a cat. We do not have children and our cats are our babies, and I would do anything for them. I often wonder if Lenny was in too much pain, but I know that the Veterinarians that I see are truly the best, and he had the best care during his ordeal, and I can't thank them enough. They even stayed open for us last night so that we could bring Lenny in until we can decide what to do. Thank You Linda mar Vet Hospital !!! All of the doctors there and the staff as well are the best !

Thank you all for listening. I am going to go see my therapist and the SPCA Grief counselor to hopefully calm me down.

Long Live Lenny !!! We will always love you sweetie "Lenny-Love."
Thanks for listening

Howie and Claudine

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am very sad to read this. I am so sorry you lost your baby Lenny. May he Rest in Peace.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Howie, I am so very sorry for your loss, I cry everytime I read one of these posts. I have no idea how I will be as I have 8 so there will be alot of grief here at some point, I have lost cats in the past and I know that it does not get easier.
Your post proves how much you Loved Lenny and I'm sure he knew that and we can alway's tell how much they Love us, we just know. I hope during this hard time that you know that you did everything you could I am sure. I can tell you I know what you are feeling but I have no idea how you feel at this time, and also that the pain you are feeling will ease when you are ready to let it do that. Lenny will forever be in your Heart and it will get easier. I also tell everyone I like to beleive that they don't miss us as that would make it twice as hard, instead he's at the Bridge waiting to see you and share the Love you had together forever. He is no longer suffering and in pain though you are. He is playing and Happy with all the kitties before him.. Please take care of yourself as he will be watching you he doesn't want you to suffer now because he no longer is... Dear Sweet Lenny RIP and run to your Dad when you see him...Lots of Thoughts and Prayers coming to you in this time of need

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry about Lenny! Bless you & your wives hearts for taking him in all those years ago. He was so lucky to have you. Play happily over the Rainbow Bridge Lenny.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sending my own condolences to you and your wife on the loss of your special boy Lennie. He'll always have a special place in your heart.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry about your loss of Lenny. What a sweet story of how you adopted him while you and your wife were dating, and eventually became a family with 3 kitty kids! He sounds like he was a lovely kitty, and you took very good care of him.

Condolences to Howie and Claudine, in the loss of dear Lenny. Rest in peace, dear kitty!

myboys15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to read about your little boy Lenny. Bless you for taking him in and giving him a great home and so much love. I lost a kitten two years ago so I know how much it hurts. my little boy is sick right now
and I worry that he may leave me soon.
As time goes by it will get easier, I promise. You never forgot but it does not hurt so much to remember. Best wishes.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. I remember your posts. It sounds to me as if the second best thing possible happened...he got better, he had more time with you, and got to pass at home where he was safe, and loved.

It is so hard to have different lifespans than our beloved cats, but I think we'd all agree it is worth everything to have been loved by them.

Hugs to you and your wife,

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry. I know how much you loved Lenny, it showed in your posts when you talked about him how special he was to you. I hope that somehow in time you will remember the happy times with Lenny and begin to smile again when you think of your special boy. Remember that Lenny would only want you to be happy now. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife. Please take care of yourself.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Howie-
I remember you and Lenny very well, and I've often thought about him and wondered how he was doing. I was hoping the old saying about "no news being good news" was true, and apparently for awhile, it was.

I'm very glad that you, your family and Lenny got more time together, though I know you would have wished for more.

You and your wife are exceptional people - from adopting Lenny at 6 from the SPCA (a wonderful thing) to your determination to help him in any way possible when he became ill was a shining example of what unconditional love is all about. He truly won the "kitty lottery" when you rescued him.

Howie, it's been evident from your first post here what Lenny means to you, and I understand his loss causes you tremendous heartache. Please take care of yourself (and Claudine) and do go to the grief counselor. Those of us on this board who've lost our cat-kids know that the grief is all too real and painful, and it helps to talk to someone who understands that.

Please try to post again to let us know how you're doing.

Rest peacefully now sweet Lenny.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My deepest sympathies go out to you all, Howie, Claudine, Jimi and Vinnie. Lenny was certainly blessed to have such a caring, devoted family. I do hope that you find the peace and comfort that you will need to be strong for your family during this rough time. I was very touched that you understood that Lenny would rather pass away at home, surrounded by his brothers - indeed, that "final" trip to the vet's can be a difficult journey, and dear Lenny spared you that. Godspeed over Rainbow Bridge, Lenny

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss, Howie, Claudine, Jimi and Vinnie.

Rest in peace and perfect health Lenny. Play happily at Rainbow Bridge.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, Howie, I'm so sorry! I'd read your previous posts about Lenny & I've wondered how he was doing. I know how extremely difficult this is for you; it's been so obvious in your posts how much Lenny meant to you. You and Claudine gave him a good life in a loving home.
Please give yourself time to grieve, be kind to yourself. You did the best you could for your boy, and I'm positive he knew how much you cared. You & Claudine & your kitty family have my very deepest sympathies.

ripken

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So sad to hear of Lenny's passing.

God bless you, you're wife and especially Lenny.

See him on the other side.

Ripken

lovinmom828

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry for your loss of lenny. I hope this hugs bring you and your family a little comfort.

animal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
so sorry to hear about your loss, i cant think what your going through..huggs from us all here