A picky eater

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband's best friend and his wife are coming over for dinner this weekend, but the problem is that my husband's best friend is a REALLY picky eater. I was planning on making a red wine pasta, where I finish the cooking process of the pasta in a bottle of red wine. Well he says that he doesn't like red wine (he's never tried it), or any leafy green veggies (he's never tried that either). Do I lie to him and serve what I am making, or do I switch to the old stand by of burgers that he likes?

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Umm, my first response is to all go to a restaurant instead where can be as picky as he wants without offending anyone!
Granted, you want to make an effort when entertaining your friends, but if he's not going to reciprocate with a little effort himself, then why should you bend over backwards for them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

Umm, my first response is to all go to a restaurant instead where can be as picky as he wants without offending anyone!
Granted, you want to make an effort when entertaining your friends, but if he's not going to reciprocate with a little effort himself, then why should you bend over backwards for them?
True, I've pulled one over on him before. The last time we made Sloppy Joes I used ground bison and not ground beef. He was none the wiser, and still doesn't know.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I often add TVP when I'm using ground beef. My hubby has wised up to it though!
Ground bison sounds interesting. We had bison burgers here a while ago, very tasty.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he likes regular spaghetti, just tell him you didn't add the wine.

I lurk at etiquettehell.com and someone had a dinner guest whose girlfriend brought a hamburger and fries from McDs and went "ewwww" at what the person had prepared.

I will admit, I use to be a very picky eater. But I'm better and at least try something.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

If he likes regular spaghetti, just tell him you didn't add the wine.

I lurk at etiquettehell.com and someone had a dinner guest whose girlfriend brought a hamburger and fries from McDs and went "ewwww" at what the person had prepared.

I will admit, I use to be a very picky eater. But I'm better and at least try something.
Oh they've done that before to me. They brought over a big old bag of Wendy's and ate it while I was preparing a fresh fruit salad. It's slightly frustrating.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

It's slightly frustrating.
"slightly frustrating"! Gosh, you're polite!
I'm going to go check out that etiquette website.

lovinmom828

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I dont know about them but the red wine dish sounds yummy to me got a recipe?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They should be happy at what you cook for them. Do they really think FF is tasty???

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

They should be happy at what you cook for them. Do they really think FF is tasty???
Yes, it's sad really. He was raised on a lot of processed food, so when I cook anything fresh for him he says it doesn't taste right. I've told him that this is the way things are supposed to taste. I think he's just too used to all the chemicals.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The red wine pasta sounds great, but why bother going to the effort if you know they're going to just disappoint you and turn their nose up?

Save the recipe for someone more worthy, and just do spaghetti...

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm thankful that the only adjustments I ever need to make in what I'm preparing are for allergies or other sensitivities, and other than that the people who come to my table are mostly as adventuresome as we are, or are at least polite.

If I found myself in your situation, and couldn't redirect the event to a restaurant (first choice!), I'd do something that, in its basic form, would suit the picky eater, but that would be easily made more interesting for the rest of the diners, by using sauces and other garnishes. Let him be dull and stupid, and spend your energy on the people who will appreciate it.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jeremy is picky, it's so frustrating.
I go without some of my favorite foods because he won't he them, and it's just not cost effective to cook two different meals.

Good lucky with your picky guest.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first thought on this is that if he doesn't like what he's served, well, it sucks to be him. If you're a guest in someone else's house, it's only polite to eat what you're served, unless you can't due to health reasons (like you're lactose intolerant, or you're deathly allergic to peanuts). You don't have to eat it all, just make a token effort to show your appreciation. If you don't like it, you can always go out for take-out later on. (Or, in the case of my family, if we didn't like what was on the table we could make ourselves something else, but Mom wasn't making four different meals just to appease everybody!)

Since in theory you actually like this person, I'd either make something you know he'll like (or make the red wine pasta, which sounds great, and just don't tell him what's in it -- if he doesn't like it, feign surprise ... you know, "better to beg forgiveness than ask permission" and all that
), or go out to a restaurant where everyone can have what they like.

Really, he breaks two cardinal rules in my family: 1) You don't get your own special meal made for you, you eat what's put in front of you; and 2) You can't say you don't like something if you haven't tasted it yet. If he were my guest and my FI's best friend, I'd tell him to suck it up, buttercup!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've decided to make it, and just have him deal with it. If they go for takeout afterwards thats fine with me, but I don't have time between now and when they come to go get the stuff for a second meal. I also really don't want to make a second meal either.

He can eat the garlic bread.... Oh wait... he doesn't like the cheese I use (he's never tried that either). Oh well, it looks like he is drinking water.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

I've decided to make it, and just have him deal with it. If they go for takeout afterwards thats fine with me, but I don't have time between now and when they come to go get the stuff for a second meal. I also really don't want to make a second meal either.

He can eat the garlic bread.... Oh wait... he doesn't like the cheese I use (he's never tried that either). Oh well, it looks like he is drinking water.
Good for you!
(At least he likes water ...)

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Heres maybe a little different perspective. I am perhaps the pickiest eater I know. And certainly I would be offended if my BEST FRIEND invited me over for dinner, and then served me something they could pretty much guarantee I wouldnt eat. I would do just as you say he will do, drink water politely. Then I would have something else to eat somewhere else later, and then I would never return for a dinner at that place again. If you want to be a polite host, and are cooking for guests, you should make them something you can at least assume they will enjoy, not something you are almost certain they will not. Save more exotic meals for the friends you have who arent so limited in their tastes, and keep everyone happy, including yourself (unless of course, you can not enjoy simple meals like regular pastas and BBQ, in this case, then the multi cuisine restaurant probably IS the best bet).

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mirinae

My first thought on this is that if he doesn't like what he's served, well, it sucks to be him. If you're a guest in someone else's house, it's only polite to eat what you're served, unless you can't due to health reasons (like you're lactose intolerant, or you're deathly allergic to peanuts). You don't have to eat it all, just make a token effort to show your appreciation. If you don't like it, you can always go out for take-out later on. (Or, in the case of my family, if we didn't like what was on the table we could make ourselves something else, but Mom wasn't making four different meals just to appease everybody!)

Since in theory you actually like this person, I'd either make something you know he'll like (or make the red wine pasta, which sounds great, and just don't tell him what's in it -- if he doesn't like it, feign surprise ... you know, "better to beg forgiveness than ask permission" and all that
), or go out to a restaurant where everyone can have what they like.

Really, he breaks two cardinal rules in my family: 1) You don't get your own special meal made for you, you eat what's put in front of you; and 2) You can't say you don't like something if you haven't tasted it yet. If he were my guest and my FI's best friend, I'd tell him to suck it up, buttercup!
These were exactly the rules in my house growing up! Only not only did we have to make our own meal, we had to clean it up, too!

I'm really surprised whenever I hear about adults who are picky eaters! I've never met one, myself.