Could she have a fake pregnancy?

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I noticed last night that my female was in heat and about the same time I noticed, my neutered male did too. He kept trying to mount her and I kept knocking him off. I eventually sepereated them for the night but I was gone all day yesterday and so I think he may have gotten to her. My question is this: If my neutered male did indeed manage to "successfully" mate with my female cat, could that cause a false pregnancy. If so, what are the odds and how soon can I tell? She has had one litter before and so I can't tell by her nipples.

By the way, just so you all know, I will be getting the female spayed within the next month or 2 and she can't get outside so she won't be getting preggers againI already have my other female and my male cat fixed. I appreciate any advice I can get.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From my understanding, when a female in heat is covered by a neutered male, it simply tricks her body into coming out of heat, but not a full false pregnancy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So do you think I should just leave them alone. I mean, it's torture. The poor girl is rolling around and desperate for a male and the poor boy is being taunted by her and yet whenever he gets close to her I shoo him away.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
but by letting them try and mate even though she can not fall pregnant will still be tourture i think as cat's do not have sex for pleasure unlike us lol they do it to breed only . were quite lucky really lol

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Heehee!LOL!

So...what should I do? Just keep them seperated until she is out of heat?

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that is what i would do. but i do understand it can be hard lol good luck with it

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She can go into false pregnancy which I believe is not a good thing. I asked this same question a couple days ago and got a good answer. It is not a good idea to let this happen and they should be seperated while she is in heat if he is trying to "mate" her.

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I tried separating them and just ended up with a steaming pile of poo next to my bed because thw cat didn't want to be in the bedroom. Sooo, I just kept my eye on them and scared the livins out of the male if he even thought twice about touching her. It got to the point where he started running away from the female and beating her up because he was scared I would yell at him. LOL! Anyways, she's no longer in heat so I can relax now. I'll watch her belly for the next couple weeks and tell you all if anything happens.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TortieBaby

Well, I tried separating them and just ended up with a steaming pile of poo next to my bed because thw cat didn't want to be in the bedroom. Sooo, I just kept my eye on them and scared the livins out of the male if he even thought twice about touching her. It got to the point where he started running away from the female and beating her up because he was scared I would yell at him. LOL! Anyways, she's no longer in heat so I can relax now. I'll watch her belly for the next couple weeks and tell you all if anything happens.
Are you watching for false pregnancy, you mean? How long ago was the male neutered? if it has been under a month, they still carry active sperm, and you may end up with more then a false pregnancy