Sometimes I don't know wether to cry or to smile

willie'slove

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Alright, so with this whole new thing I've gone with with Willie,

when I see him fall off of something, and sometimes get embarassed, or walk funny, bob his head, slip ajnd fall, or any other stuff that is not normal for a cat, I get upset.

Sometimes a tear will come to my eye, and other times I'll just try to think of how much better he is since the first day he got home!

So what is it, Should I be upset about what thye vet did, or Should I be happy about how much hes gotten better, although he will never be the same??????!!!!!!!!!!!

Please help me think of good things!

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Speaking as someone adopted by a brain-damaged cat, I say celebrate every success you have with Willie. With Spike, whose brain damage is fortunately mild, I get excited every time he learns something new, even if he doesn't retain that knowledge, even if it's something ridiculously simple like the fact that water is wet or the stove is hot. To me, the little slips and falls he has, where he forgets where he left us (seconds after leaving the room we were in) or he tumbles down a few stairs because his feet don't coordinate as well as they should, are minor in comparison to the leaps and bounds he's made over the three years we've had him. There are some things we have to accept with Spike, like the fact that he'll always behave like a kitten, or the fact that he really does need constant reassurance, but all in all, as difficult as he can be at times, when he curls up on my lap and purrs his little heart out, it's all worth it.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willie'sLove

So what is it, Should I be upset about what thye vet did, or Should I be happy about how much hes gotten better, although he will never be the same??????!!!!!!!!!!!
Whatever you feel like at that moment in time is valid. Willie did get cheated of a normal life, and it's ok to be upset about that when the thought hits you, as long as it's not - and it's clear that in your case it's not - all that you see in him, all that you see about him.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mirinae

Speaking as someone adopted by a brain-damaged cat, I say celebrate every success you have with Willie. With Spike, whose brain damage is fortunately mild, I get excited every time he learns something new, even if he doesn't retain that knowledge, even if it's something ridiculously simple like the fact that water is wet or the stove is hot. To me, the little slips and falls he has, where he forgets where he left us (seconds after leaving the room we were in) or he tumbles down a few stairs because his feet don't coordinate as well as they should, are minor in comparison to the leaps and bounds he's made over the three years we've had him. There are some things we have to accept with Spike, like the fact that he'll always behave like a kitten, or the fact that he really does need constant reassurance, but all in all, as difficult as he can be at times, when he curls up on my lap and purrs his little heart out, it's all worth it.
This brought tears to my eyes, you are a wonderful person for letting Spike adopt you

The way I look at my leukemia cats is that they will one day be taken away from me, but everyday is a gift. You have Willie, and while he's not "perfect" you have him and that is what really matters

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both

it is ok to upset with the vet. i would be also.

the good thing is easy to think of,

be happy for him, it was not his fault,
He loves you and needs your care.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

willie'slove

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh thank you guys for all the help!!!!!

I know I will ALWAYS be here for him, and I'm glad for what I have, I really couldn't ask for a better cat. He's actually more human than cat! He just has this great personality that when people meet him, the always comment on his differentness. Not the retardedness, just the differentness in other ways.

I'm am so glad for Willie! I'm proud of all that he's done to come this far, and I do believe that everything that happened with Willie's life was meant to be, because my Tyna up in heaven sent Willie for me to handle, because no matter, what, this was going to happen to Willie, and they needed someone who could do it. And someone who had references on The Cat Site! And thats me!

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have been such a good cat mom to Willie, look how he has progressed in your care, he can feel your love for him. You can be sad whenever you feel you need to but I think Willie is really happy.