New cat fears

r1david

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I am thinking about bringing a third cat into my home and am a little worried that he wont get along with my current cats. I have two 3 year old males and they arent terribly fond of each other so they occasionally fight. The one doesnt like the other, and the other knows it so he antagonizes him. Someone at work is looking to get rid of her cat, a one year old male siamese mix, and I am interested in bringing him home but I'm worried that this could be a disaster. Theyre all neutered and all have claws, but is it a bad idea to have three male cats in my home?

Thanks in advance!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No I dont' think it is a bad idea at all. I have 3 males, and also 5 females all altered of course.

I would buy some Feliway plug ins if I were you and get those going a day or so in advance at least.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Right now I have 7 male cats, and I do not think is a problem. I must admit though that one is more territorial than the rest and I've had the occasional catfight. But like in human families, quarrels happen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

r1david

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the info, I was worried about them fighting and marking territory and everything due to them all being males, I hope everything goes ok...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

r1david

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so that link is a good process to follow? It mentions kitten, but doesnt say if this is ok for an older cat. I think it would be traumatic locking the new cat in a 10X12 room for a few days...

chester&piper

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by r1david

so that link is a good process to follow? It mentions kitten, but doesnt say if this is ok for an older cat. I think it would be traumatic locking the new cat in a 10X12 room for a few days...
The advice given in that link is good regardless of how old the kitty is. As much as you want them to meet and get along quickly, it's best to introduce them slowly.

As for locking them in a room; as long as you give them toys to play with, and spend some time with them, they'll be ok in the room. Sure they may meow, scratch, etc, but they'll be ok. When I first brought Nala in (she was a stray) I had to keep her in our spare room. I felt so bad for her being cooped up (especially since she was used to having the freedom of being outside), but I would check on her throughout the day and would go in and spend time with her.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

No I dont' think it is a bad idea at all. I have 3 males, and also 5 females all altered of course.

I would buy some Feliway plug ins if I were you and get those going a day or so in advance at least.
I did manage to change my username but be cautioned that it did reset the counter.