Is my kitten calico, tortie, or torbie???

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here's some pics of my kitten. I think she is what is called torbie but I'm not for sure. Anybody out there know?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's weird because her mom is 100% tortie and her dad is black and white.

Oh yeah, I'm looking for a home for this kitten so if anyone nearby is interested in her or knows of someone interested, please tell me. If I don't a home for her soon my hubby will have a heart attack. He can't stand having 5 cats under one roof.(and with one litterbox)

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes she would be a torbie - tortoiseshell/tabby.

Calico would be mainly a white cat with patches of black/red.

Tortie would be black/red kind mixed together (and maybe a bit of cream).

Torbie is a tortoiseshell cat with deep tabby markings in the red (like your kitty). Red almost always shows some striping, but its pretty clear on your kitty that tabby IS in the background.

Are you SURE that dad is a black/white. If mom's a tortie and dad's black/white you usually do not get tabby. Was any of the siblings a tabby?
I suspect your kitty's dad to be red tabby rather then a black/white. Cats that free roam can and do mate with more then one tom.

My Ling (who started out as a blue tabby with points) is now a black/white - but she does have the ghost tabby markings in the sunlite - so she's carrying the tabby gene. She's spayed so we will never know what she might have produced

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
TNR - in order to have "patched tabby" you have to have a brown/blue/silver tabby with the red patches. She's not a brown tabby - she's a tortie.

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The daddy cat is my cat, he's the one in my siggy laying with the female tabby. I know the mom's parents: her mama was a tortie, just like her, and her dad was a black cat. I don't know about the daddy though, he was given to us.

The kitten and her 2 sisters are in my siggy too. One is a dilute tortie and the other is black and white(like the father). I just found a home for the black and white kitten, but as she got older she was developing stripes in her black fur. I thought they would fade away because I heard that cats couldn't have stripes in black fur, but the just got stronger.

I guess maybe the daddy cat had a tabby parent. I'll find a pic of the mama and post it.

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here's a pic of the mama cat. She was a kitten in this picture but it is the beest one I have of her fur. She's almost a year old now and she has more black fur and looks a bit darker all-in-all.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, dad or mom could be also carrying tabby. Its there pretty close (maybe even grand parents)

They are all very nice looking. I'm assuming that "dad" is neutered by now? Because if he's not, any non-spayed females in the house can become pregnant!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you look closely at the momcat's pic, you can see an "M" on her brow, that's classic tabby - she must have had a tabby parent.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

TNR - in order to have "patched tabby" you have to have a brown/blue/silver tabby with the red patches. She's not a brown tabby - she's a tortie.
My vet calls my girl a patch tabby:

but by your definition...she isn't. Of course...I just call her my Habenaro. Oh...and although you can't see it....she swears she has siamese in her....DEEP in her...right Gaye.

Katie

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In researching this topic a bit on the net, there appears to honestly be no real clear definition. Quite a few website call a torbie the same thing as a patched tabby, whereas others have them as separate colorations. So there may never be agreement on this.

I think it is safe to say - you have a BEAUTIFUL little kitty.

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you all very much and ,yes, goldenkitty, I have since neutered the daddy cat. However, I have one more question, I'm going to post it in a new thread too, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask it here too. Here it is:

Last night I noticed that the mama cat was in heat again(making funny noises and sticking her bum up to anyone who looks at her) and I also noticed that my neutered male was trying to mount her(I say "trying" because every time he did I would know him off and chase him away). Anyways, I had to put the mama in a crate last night so the male couldn't get her. My question is this: If my neutered male managed to "successfully" mate with her would she gat a false pregnancy? I only noticed last night that he she was in heat and was gone all day so I don't know if he got to her before than, that's why I want to know.

Oh yeah, just so you all know, I will be getting the mama cat spayed in a month or too(as soon as I have the money). I have already ordered a Spay America coupon. Also, we have a screen door and a regular door so she won't get out.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long ago was dad neutered? If less then a month he COULD still father kittens.

And even if mom has a false pregnancy, she still can be spayed anyway.

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It won't make the surgery more dangerous if she has a false pregnancy?

The dad cat was neutered some time around September 11, I don't remember the exact date. It has definately been over a month.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by TortieBaby

It won't make the surgery more dangerous if she has a false pregnancy?
Nope...because there is no fertilized egg. If you can get her in soon..the better.

Katie

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, we're kinda tight on money but I should have a job by next week so I would say within the next month, maybe 2, she will be spayed. I want to do it sooner, but it is either a spayed cat or payin the bills and I choose payin the bills. The cat can wait, the bill collectors can't!

jkrodger

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
TortieBaby;1396824 said:
I just found a home for the black and white kitten, but as she got older she was developing stripes in her black fur. I thought they would fade away because I heard that cats couldn't have stripes in black fur, but the just got stronger.
Do you have any other pictures of the black/white, I'd really like to see the stripes in the black. Also, where in IL are you? Are you close to Naperville?

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the black and white kitten that show the stripes. I didn't expect to find a home for her so soon so I kind of neglected my "picture taking" duties. Sorry. I think that when she is full grown her "black" fur will look like the fur on a silver tabby. Actually, the stripes were thick and formed a circle in the middle of her stomach. Is that tabby or is that called marble? I think marble. I actually wanted to keep that kitten because she was really sweet and I was curious of what she would look like, but I guess now I'll never know. Oh well, sniffle...

Oh, yeah, I'm in Addison, it's about 30 minutes away from Naperville, 45 if there is alot of traffic. I believe Naperville is right next to Wheaton, which, conveniently, is where I, hopefully, will be starting a new job within the next week.

Are you interested in the kitten? If you are, but you don't want to travel all the way to Addison, I can meet you somewhere in between. I would offer to drive all the way, but I just got my license about a week ago(I'm a late bloomer
) and have never driven further than Wheaton and am WAY to freaked out to drive all the way to Naperville.(I'm lucky I can make it all the way to Wheaton.LOL!)