Village politics - a whole can of worms

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As you know, I have been doing all I can to find out what happened to Napoleon and the other cats in our hamlet. And I now have three large tubs of stuff to get rid of rodents, that won't kill cats. So I wrote a general letter to all the neighbours in my best French, updating them and offering to give them some of this so they can try it. I also took a copy of the letter to the local farmers and to the Mayor's office. Basically it asked everyone to search their property and to let me know if there was anything bad, whether they intended to continue using it or not, and offering an alternative. I was very polite and neutral and totally non-accusing.

Now I am getting replies, and even some visitors. All of them are lovely to me, but boy, are they accusing each other! All the ancient hatreds are coming out. I have even been warned that one woman in my hamlet, whom I like very much and who has a dog and feeds the squirrels, is crazy and that I should be careful in case she tries to put poison in the ponies' drinking water! This is on the basis that she runs every morning with her dog in all weathers, something no 'normal' person would do. One farmer's wife said that her daughter had three sheep who died, maybe from colic, but that it could have been poison. It is like the old witchcraft trials -anything that can be dug up is being attributed to someone. I don't think anyone escaped untouched, including my English neighbours who moved out three months ago. But apart from ensuring that everyone for miles around now knows the whole situation and having given away a lot of samples of the new organic pesticide, I am not much further on.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh what a situation? It certainly sounds pretty much like general village politics though - the village I grew up in can be very similar at times!

Hopefully the name calling will cease and people will begin to use the organic pesticide

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Jenny, I really just have to give you many kudos and a round of applause

Not everyone would go to the great lengths that you have to ensure the safety of all the neighborhood animals. You really should be commended. I think Napolean is quite proud of you.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like something from a movie...all the neighbours plotting against eachother..Hopefully aside from the blaming, this does help in your neighbourhood from losing any more pets.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Similar to the "small town mentality". Does it ever make you wonder what they are saying about you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course - I know at the beginning they all thought I was very rich! I think they realise now that I am not. But I don't know where that idea came from.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What they all said, Jenny! Kudos to you for all your work. Perhaps once they get done pointing fingers, they'll be ready to get on board and contribute to the effort.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

Of course - I know at the beginning they all thought I was very rich! I think they realise now that I am not. But I don't know where that idea came from.
its only the impression, because you bought a house in france, making it all pretty, and bringing all these animals ect.

Alot of people think we are rich, because my dad has 2 apartments in italy and a beach house in italy, adn the fact weve made alot of holidays, and we were very confortable with our money in England, Australia and Germany.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Karen said it well. I hope it all settles down soon, and that they will use this new pesticide you are giving them samples of.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think once all the hubbub dies down, people will get on board as you are being reasonable. Sometimes it doesn't take much to stir people up, especially in small village where this is bound to be big gossip.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are doing a wonderful thing to help both the neighbors and the animals.
I hope everyone will realize that and start using the organic pesticide. I guess it's typical small village politics. At least you are current on all the gossip.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

...But apart from ensuring that everyone for miles around now knows the whole situation and having given away a lot of samples of the new organic pesticide, I am not much further on.
You've accomplished a lot! No doubt you've saved animals that would have been poisoned.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe. But it doesn't help me much as I still daren't let my cats out. And worst of all, it doesn't bring Napoleon back. ( Dixie, there is a thread about it in Nutrition and in the Bridge)