How much to feed kitten

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Smudge is about 10 weeks old now I guess, and I'm not sure how much to feed her. She gets free fed kitten food which she eats, and I also give her tinned food. She gets Nutro Natural Choice tinned food at the moment - the 3oz/85g tins, and I guess she gets about 1/3 of those tins each meal, and 2 meals a day.

She's always desperate for food, so we tried feeding her more, and she got diarrhea, so we fed her more frequent small meals, and she still got diarrhea. So we've gone back to 2 meals of a day of the smaller portions.

If that's not enough for a growing kitten (2lb 2 oz at Saturday's weigh in), we could gradually start feeding more, but we really don't want to overfeed her.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go by what it says on the back of the can or bag of food

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Smudge is about 10 weeks old now I guess, and I'm not sure how much to feed her. She gets free fed kitten food which she eats, and I also give her tinned food. She gets Nutro Natural Choice tinned food at the moment - the 3oz/85g tins, and I guess she gets about 1/3 of those tins each meal, and 2 meals a day.

She's always desperate for food, so we tried feeding her more, and she got diarrhea, so we fed her more frequent small meals, and she still got diarrhea. So we've gone back to 2 meals of a day of the smaller portions.

If that's not enough for a growing kitten (2lb 2 oz at Saturday's weigh in), we could gradually start feeding more, but we really don't want to overfeed her.
Sarah...what type of food are you feeding her?? You want to look for a kitten food that has protein as the first ingredient....chicken, lamb, tuna.....many kitten foods start with grains such as rice or corn which doesn't fill up a kitten's tiny tummy and ends up making them more hungry.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She gets the Nutro Natural Choice tinned kitten food and Chicken Soup for the Kitten Lovers Soul dry kitten food. She seems to eat the big cats food though which is Nature's Variety Lamb and something or other dry food.

She was getting Chicken Soup for the Kitten Lovers Soul wet as well, but they didn't have any on my last pet store trip, so had to change tinned food to the Nutro. I couldn't remember if this was a good brand or not, but there was sooo many choices, and I didn't have my faithful TCS advisors with me

The problem with the recommendations on the back of the tin, is that they are based on a kitten eating nothing but tinned food. They don't take into account that she's also chowing down on dry.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well you could feed half the recommended amount of wet and dry.

tkaner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am trying the reduced amounts as well for a 7 pound kitten who I adopted at 2 pounds. She has gaiend weight over four months from the 2 - 7 pounds. Her ummy was big when I got her and it was still big until a few days ago. She gained a pound in tow weeks and the vet finally said to cut her portions down to tow feedings a day 1/2 canned food and 1/2 cup dry. I splet them in half for 1/4 each for each meal. Thedry is sort of free feeding, but it only lasts a few hours.

I ahd had a lot of diarrhea from this poor kitten. Especially from Wellness Kitten canned food. I have another kitten who is 8 months old and is friendly but dominant to the smaller one. I can not tell, but I think she eats really fast when he is around so he does not get her foodafter eating his.

I stumbled across this after locking ookke up in the bathroom when (yes another problem) she was not urinating in her two boxes. She woudl cycle between using the boxes and urinating outside the boxws.

I think she and my other cat were both eating too much too quickly and smelling up the boxes. They were bad.

That is my take on the food and diarrhea thing.