dogs that have been hurt by cats?

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello

Have any of you known or seen a dog get seriously injured by a cat??

A friend of mine claimes to of known a dog that lost an eye to a cat. I find that hard to believe ive never seen a cat go for a dogs eyes but i guess it could be possible~!

what have u seen?

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think its possible, cats have sharp nails, all it takes is one swat at the face. Doesnt always happen, but I can see how it could.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jada had to get right under her eye glued together (my vet doesnt use stitches). Annie Rose when she first came whacked her real good. If it had been a little higher who knows it might have messed her eye up enough to have to have it removed. Jada still has a nasty scar from it.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend had a puppy lose an eye to their cats wrath. Little Ra wouldn't leave their Maine Coon mix alone and zedka gave him a little slap, it just caught him right in the eye, it got swollen and pussy and due to infection had to be removed. It was cute (Ra) after, he looked like he was always winking at you, (They stitched the eye closed so you didn't have to look at an empty socket, that would be gross!) not that it was good for him to loose the eye but since he did, atleast he was still cute and didn't have any trouble adjusting to it. The same dog also put his nose through a window and had major blood lose from a really bad gash. What a mess, we went to her house after work and there was blood every where. So it can and does happen, but Ra just wasn't your usual pups, things like that always found poor Ra!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Years ago, our family friends' daughter (kind of a kook) let her dog Toby go after our tomcat, Socks. The cat ran to a corner of the porch, and turned to face the dog. When the dog rushed the cat, Socks clawed the dog's eye and it couldn't be saved. We had been yelling at the lady to get her dog, and she was bragging that her dog had already killed several cats - it was a relief to see the cat win, but shame on the owner for not stopping her dog.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsknowme

Years ago, our family friends' daughter (kind of a kook) let her dog Toby go after our tomcat, Socks. The cat ran to a corner of the porch, and turned to face the dog. When the dog rushed the cat, Socks clawed the dog's eye and it couldn't be saved. We had been yelling at the lady to get her dog, and she was bragging that her dog had already killed several cats - it was a relief to see the cat win, but shame on the owner for not stopping her dog.
That is horrible!
How could some one let a dog out on a cat when it (supposidly) killed cats! What if it hadn't turned out that way! I'm glad the cat didn't get hurt but it's too bad that poor dog had to suffer for ignorant owners!
Atleast the dog my friend had was an accident, they had just gotten the puppy and they were establishing who was in control (I think the pup figured it out!)

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reilly is constantly going after Jake. He can be dead asleep and she'll attack him. Luckily, she hasn't done any damage.
I had a cat Oreo who attacked my bull mastiff/english mastif mix and the poor dog had to have 7 stitches in her nose.. It's definatly possible for a cat to hurt a dog

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
when my cat use to go after our dog sometiems for no reason he just hatted my dog he would go crazy and just start waking the dog silly

The cat was so clumsy and un cordinated he never hurt our dog anywhere

this was a big strong cat also with a nasty set of claws

he never left any marks on our dog though it was so scary when the cat got like that because he went so out of control

maybe some cats are better skilled at using their claws then others i guess

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I knew of someone who's dog had a cat claw stuck in it's eye. Guess he learned not to mess with cats!

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

I knew of someone who's dog had a cat claw stuck in it's eye. Guess he learned not to mess with cats!
One time Lily got my old cat Sweetie Pies claw stuck in her nose. It looked really funny. I guess it was actually just the chaft the old layer of claw. I call it a chaft at least. I ended up taking her to the vet to have it removed. It was really hooked in there good.

sphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was walking with my Frenchie in the park a little while back and met a one-eyed dog (my dog also only has one eye, not due to a cat though) and I asked the lady how it had lost it's eye... it was due to a cat scratching the dog's eye. The vet told her that had the cat's claws been clipped the dog may not have lost the eye as the cat's claw would not have been so very sharp.

I wish I had not read this thread, as my darling Frenchie only has 1 eye and I would obviously hate for her eye to be hurt in any way whatsoever. I do keep my kitten's claws clipped and since I introduced him to her as a kitten they seem to get along just fine.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For their size, cats are amazingly dangerous animals... it's a good idea, if possible, to socialize them to accept dogs and other sorts of animals in their environment. A frightened or angry cat can really do some damage.

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a dog in our local animal shelter that lost an eye to a cat too.

Snoop, our dog has had quite a bad cut on his nose from either ju or Mav before.