Do you respond to telephone surveys?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I usually just say I'm not interested, and hang up, but I got a call from a woman working for a very well-known PO polling company (read: commissioned call center) about fifteen minutes ago, and she sounded so hesitant, apologetic, and downright scared that I decided to respond. Maybe her approach was all a ploy? Anyway, I told her right away that I wasn't a German citizen and therefore couldn't vote, but that I was politically opinionated, so she'd have to decide whether it was worthwhile interviewing me. The poll turned out to be all about telecommunications (land lines, cell phones, fax machines, Internet access and use), so I actually found it interesting. How do you react to such calls? I fear that I'm usually impolite.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could it have been her first day? or maybe she has social phobia?

I get nervous if i have to call people that i dont know, or have to speak to someone that i havent met yet.

I dont get phone calls with surveys though?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a radio station that keeps calling me to rate the songs, but I did it once and the call lasted about 15 minutes! and they always call right when I get home, and the kitties MUST be fed! I tend not to answer the phone at all for unknown numbers, so they usually don't catch me

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have call display and don't often pick up calls from numbers that we don't know. Occasionally, though, I'll pick it if I'm not up to my eyeballs in something, and if it's a survey, I'll often participate. (If it becomes a telephone solicitation, game over, NOW.) I figure at least some of the surveys are worth participating in -- if they are gathering marketing information, it can't hurt to have my/our habits and preferences reflected in their results. The worst that can possibly happen is I spend 10 minutes on the phone and nothing changes. And some of them are interesting.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the survey sounds interesting or reflects some aspect of life that I want to have a say in (like, whether or not we pre-empt good television shows like House for stupid baseball games
or where do I think my tax dollars should be spent), then yes, I take the survey. Like another poster said, if it turns into solicitation, I end the call. I want my opinions and needs to be taken into consideration -- if I don't speak up, I can't complain later on. (Pretty much the same reason I have for voting, actually. If you don't vote, you don't have the right to complain about the results of the election -- unless, of course, you're not eligible to vote. In that case, complain away!
)

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i usually respond to surveys, but will hang up on people calling to ask for donations.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last time someone called for a survey, they asked for someone in the house over the age of 18 and I wasn't 18 yet so I just said sorry nobody here old enough and hung up. Now I only answer the phone if I know it is for me.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends which polling company it is and what they are calling about and what I am doing at the time. If its something I am not interested in at all I will say no, if it turns into a solicitation I just hang up, but if it is something I am interested in I will generally take the time to answer

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG I do!!! I LOVE to mess with telemarketers and people like that who call when i'm busy! I'm on the do not call list- but they still manage to call me occassionally. That's ok though- HEHE!!! I usually scare them off of the phone

The last time that one called here's what I did:

The telemarketer started talking and trying to sell me stuff and then In a really quiet voice here's what I said, "My husband is the masta'.The masta's not home right now. I'm not allowed to talk on the phone...when I do and he catches me, (at this point i alsmot screamed out the next part for dramatic effect lol) the masta beats me because he says that his woman isn't allowed to use the phone! Do you know the masta' ? He would be very angry if he knew you were talking to me! he will probably beat you too.....

-it was hysterical...I went on and on until the telemarketer couldn't get a word in edge wise....they finally go soo freaked out that they hung up....guess it worked! They never called me back. I highly suggest this tactic if you want to scare away those annoying phone calls
works like a charm

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't...I always say I'm heading out the door for work..but I am never rude, I just don't feel like talking to a stranger.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a feature on my phone that does NOT allow anyone with a private/blocked number to come through.Also, if I have a # come across that I don't know......I'll let the machine get it.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you are so funny, Nikki!
we are on the do not call list, because seriously we used to get 5 telemarketing calls a day and it was so friggen annoying!
this has nothing to do with this thread, but one time I haven't slept for a day and I was out in the snow in a santa hat and a dominos guy drove guy and I said something like "Domino's sucks, pizza hut is better.."
I didn't say that more than once it was just because I was delerious.
and that was when I was 16.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miagi's_Mommy

you are so funny, Nikki!
we are on the do not call list, because seriously we used to get 5 telemarketing calls a day and it was so friggen annoying!
this has nothing to do with this thread, but one time I haven't slept for a day and I was out in the snow in a santa hat and a dominos guy drove guy and I said something like "Domino's sucks, pizza hut is better.."
I didn't say that more than once it was just because I was delerious.
and that was when I was 16.
It works
You soo have to try it sometime- it really freaks them out!
I'm on the do not call list- but sometimes those sneakly little punks get through anyways, and when they do, I LOVE to mess with them and thoroughly freak them out
/ Oh and I agree- Pizza Hutt ROCKS!!!!!!

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since I'm on the "do not call" list, I only get the political ones. Last week, once called and asked who I am voting for and told her that it was nobody's business, but my own.

One surveyor asked for the male head of the household. I told her that he doesn't speak English and, unless SHE spoke Catinese, he wasn't going to be able to answer her questions. Opie wasn't inclined to get out of my bed, anyway

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We don't have a "Do Not Call" list here, but you can put your numbers, address, etc., on so-called "Robinson lists" to block unsolicited calls, faxes, mail or emails. I hate to talk on the phone, because I'm hearing-impaired, and even with a special phone I have trouble understanding callers, and usually hang up or put Jamie on the phone (he loves to meow into the phone!), but sometimes I get a guilty conscience, because I like to read survey results, and I feel sorry for the call-center employees. We don't bother with caller ID (extra charge), because I don't hear the phone unless I'm sitting right next to it at the computer, and hubby can't be bothered answering unless he's expecting a call. Label us "anti-social".

felicia's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not bothered by these calls because, I don't have my own phone (at the present time).
when I had a phone, I was on the Do Not Call list