Promise Rings

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did anyone have one of there before they were engaged or like the idea of one? I kinda wish Lee would give me one before he leaves as like a promise to come back to me and to show his intention is to one day marry me. Am I just being over emotional?

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

Did anyone have one of there before they were engaged or like the idea of one? I kinda wish Lee would give me one before he leaves as like a promise to come back to me and to show his intention is to one day marry me. Am I just being over emotional?
John bought me one but wont give it to me.
Because he says he wants to wait for the right time. Why not just give it to me. Hello its not an engagement ring. At least it better not be.
Its WAY to soon for that.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 3. The first one he gave me right after our first fight. We went to the movies the next day and during the movie, he slipped it on my finger and said I love you.

The second one he bought me the next Christmas as a better one because he said the first one was too cheap. Its hard to see in this picture, but it is 3 sideways hearts with little jewels in the middle.

The third one isn't really special or anything. We were at Wal Mart and I was looking at the rings and I said this looks just like the engagement ring I want someday. So he bought it for me until he can buy me the real thing. This picture is even harder to see, but its your normal 3 diamond ring with the middle one being a bit bigger.

georgethefish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my husband gave me one before we were engaged. nothing fancy, just a sterling silver thing w/ a stone off a rack i think. i gave him one too, a silver ring with a mountain range on it. i meant to get it for him *before* we left alaska to remember by, but didn't end up getting it till after we got back up here, kind of defeating the purpose. :eek:) we had been together for about 2-3 years. i like the idea of them as long as they're not super fancy just in case something happens... you could always give him one.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one.It has a heart done in Black Hills Gold.Shawn gave it to me not long after we started dating.
I like the idea of them

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had one that my first serious boyfriend gave me. It was a gold ring, with a heart cut out, and little diamond chips around. Not really my taste, but it was very special to me.

About four years into our relationship it went missing. I only took it off to bathe and swim so I had no idea where it could have gone. Not too long after that he broke up with me. I'm convinced to this day that he took it back. I'll never know the truth.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know? Maybe youre just over reacting?

Are you scared that he will go off and get someone else while he is here?

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suppose you could call my ring a promise ring; J refers to it as my "placeholder" ring. Basically, it's a pretty ring I picked out myself that sits on "that" finger until the ring J designed for me can be made. If the jeweller hadn't had a heart attack a few months ago, the ring would be made now and I wouldn't have a promise/placeholder ring, I'd have the actual engagement ring. But J wanted me to have something to show others when people ask to see my ring, so he had me pick out the one I'm currently wearing.

Otherwise, I don't really understand the concept of a promise ring. Isn't the engagement ring more or less a promise ring? It's like saying "I promise to some day at some point ask you to marry me, eventually."

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would rather him save his money and get me a higher quality enagement ring.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did. It was a cute, tiny purple heart stone (birth stone...not mine but it's the one I wanted cuz it's pretty) and I got it for Christmas gift as a surprise when I was 16....got married 3 years later. Now I have that ring on a chain that I like to wear.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that promise rings are ok for some couples. For me though, I think Colin and I are far enough along in our relationship that I wouldn't want a promise ring. I'm much rather have an engagement ring.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't get a promise ring when Jeff moved away for work and we were apart for 6 months. If you trust him it won't be an issue, and he'll give you an engagement ring when you least expect it!

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband and I will be married for two years in March. We dated for four years previous to getting married. We started dating when I was almost 16. When we had been together a year he gave me a promise ring. Its a gold band with three beautiful saphires in it. That was the most precious thing in this world to me, and nothing could've made me happier. Three years later, I got my engagment ring and shortly after that my wedding set. Of all of them, I could almost say that promise ring means the most to me.

I think that it all depends on the couple and of course where you are in your relationship. Being 17 years old, that promise ring put me on cloud nine. I loved it and still do even though my wedding set has taken its place, it will always hold a special place in my heart.

kiki_585

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love the idea of a promise ring. It is so romantic. I don't think it has to be anything spectacular or expensive. I just like being able to have the ring on my hand to let others know that I am in a committed relationship. It's almost like a stepping stone before the engagement ring. I have never received one though

My sister got her promise ring and now her engagement ring. I guess the next step is her wedding set!!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, I have no good advice...I don't think your being over emotional at all though..Us women are sometimes thinking of things that our boyfriends/spouses have no idea about..Men really are a different breed.

The only promise ring I ever got was special at the time, but of course wasn't "real" because the relationship wasn't really real..

With you guys, if you really feel solid about everything and you know he does, I wouldn't worry about a ring. He will get to that stuff when he thinks about it

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH never gave me a promise ring, my step-father did, on my 16th birthday. He believes that girls should learn how they should be treated by their future husbands/boyfriends, from the way their father's treat them and their mothers. One part of that is that a girls first diamond and her first rose should come from her dad. My Dad gave me roses once when I was young, but almost every single Valentines day since he married my Mom, my step-father has given me roses. Until now of course! I have a husband for that!

Now the promise part comes into pledging myself for my future husband, which I am proud to say I did.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have to say my promise ring means as much to me as my engagment ring,wedding band and Anniversary ring.That was a symbol to me that Shawn valued our relationship enough to want to *show* everyone and each other that we were serious and were to be only with each other.I got mine about 2-3 weeks after we started dating.We've been together for almost 12 years and married for almost 10.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one and if I could get a decent pic, I'd post it.
Plain, white gold band with 4 tiny diamonds (.75 twc) in a platinum setting.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I have one and if I could get a decent pic, I'd post it.
I tried getting a good pic of mine or even putting it on my scanner.......nothing worked