Is it possible to be Calico AND Tortie?

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the butthead question but now that Ceci is actually starting to WANT to be near me im sort of questioning her coloring. She is definately a Calico and a precious one at that. Her white is spotless and shiny, her black clearly defined and her orange is that of an orange tabby.

But ive noticed at the top of her head, and I believe on her underside its a tortie sort of marking, the patches are not clearly defined but rather mixed in.

Is this even possible? I will try to get some pictures up as soon as possible.

Thanks in Advance!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Torties do not have any defined white patches, from what I understand, although I could be wrong.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that if the patches are very well defined, the cat would be considered a Calico, even if some areas were splotched. A Torti has NO well defined patches, if I remember right.

By the way, that cat is beautiful!!!!!!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A tortie is a blend of red/black and maybe a bit of cream shading - NO white.

A calico is a white cat with patches of black/red - sometimes the colors do mix together, but for the most part they are separate.

A tortie and white would be a tortoiseshell with some white on her - mainly face, chest, tummy, legs.

So it would depend on where the white was as to if she's a calico or a tortie/white.

Ok from your pictures she would be classified as a tortie and white - not a calico!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Then there is the Torbie - a tortie with areas of tabby clearly visible. My Ginger is a torbie - tortie crossed with orange tabby. She has a cream patch under her chin, and some areas like under her right front leg where she has red and cream tabby markings.

I would say that Patches is definitely calico.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gingers, Patches is NOT a calico - read my description above - a calico is basically a white cat with patches of color - not the reverse.

And torBie would be basically a brown or blue or silver tabby with the red color mixed in.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Gingers, Patches is NOT a calico - read my description above - a calico is basically a white cat with patches of color - not the reverse.

And torBie would be basically a brown or blue or silver tabby with the red color mixed in.
Excuse me!

My Ginger is most definitely a torbie - see her pic in my siggy? Turn her upside down, and she has splotches of orange tabby. I did a lot of research on her coloring when I got her, and she is confirmed by three vets to be a torbie - tortie with orange tabby. Tortie + Tabby = Torbie.

I've not seen anything anywhere that states that a torbie is a mix of two tabby types. Not sure where you are getting that info, but you are not correct.

So maybe I'm wrong about Patches - I can admit that, but I am NOT wrong about my little girl.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I stand corrected - was mixing up torbie and patched tabby.

Torbie is a tortoiseshell cat that has tabby markings (in the red color) - you are right - your cat is a torbie.

PATCHED tabby is basically a brown/blue/silver tabby with the red color. - you would have to have the striping in both the brown and the red colors.

forgive?

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Torbie is a tortoiseshell cat that has tabby markings (in the red color) - you are right - your cat is a torbie.

PATCHED tabby is basically a brown/blue/silver tabby with the red color. - you would have to have the striping in both the brown and the red colors.

forgive?
Hmm okay then that is what one of my cats is. I thought she was labeled as a torbie but from what you said she is a Patched Tabby.

She is a grey tabby with patches of red/orange and she has three pink/ginger toes and a pink/ginger bridge of the nose.

I will have to inform my daughter tonight

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sicycat

I'm curious too. Patches seems to me to be a mix of calico and tortie?
so Patches is a Tortie & White, like Rosie.

i have a patched tabby among my ferals - her name is Lisa. i'll try to get a pic of her - her coloring is very unique!
& of course, my Java is a calico, pure & simple!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i have a patched tabby among my ferals - her name is Lisa. i'll try to get a pic of her - her coloring is very unique!
Oooh, I'd love to see her pic!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Oooh, I'd love to see her pic!
ok, here is the lovely Lisa. now, she's very feral, so 3 of these are thru the window, & one is outside, but from quite a distance. i apologize for the quality of the pix upfront [& for the filthiness of the window
].

[for those of you unaware, the apple Lisa was an early version of the Macintosh computer. Lisa's mother is another feral, Apple.]

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
While We're on this topic, I got a new kitty last night, her name is Gaia (G-a) anyway, she appears to be a calico, but her "black" spots seem to be ticked, kinda like an abyssinian's fur, with gray, but her orange is pretty solid, no real tabby patterns in it, so what does this make her besides gorgeous???

ETA: sorry no pics yet, I have the ancient film camera

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Oh, she is beautiful! Look at that FACE!!!!
i have a kitten pic of her, too - you can easily pick her out of the bunch...

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lacey is a tortie tabby and white if you live outside the US. 

The US would call her a torbie and white.