I need to lose weight, please help!

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I 5 feet tall and im weighing 128lbs. Before my son I was 115 at my heaviest. I would like to go back down to this weight, as we are going to be trying for a baby in a year or so and want to slim down a bit.

Does anyone have a good diet or diet pills, shots or whatever? Im desperate! Ive tried everything but I have a sort of anxiety when it comes to eating and I am slowly but surely gaining more weight. The more weight I gain the further I feel myself slip into depression again!

Is it true that I can eat everything I want to just less of it? Like if I normally eat a whole sandwhich, only eat half? Im desperate

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JulieKit

I 5 feet tall and im weighing 128lbs. Before my son I was 115 at my heaviest. I would like to go back down to this weight, as we are going to be trying for a baby in a year or so and want to slim down a bit.

Does anyone have a good diet or diet pills, shots or whatever? Im desperate! Ive tried everything but I have a sort of anxiety when it comes to eating and I am slowly but surely gaining more weight. The more weight I gain the further I feel myself slip into depression again!

Is it true that I can eat everything I want to just less of it? Like if I normally eat a whole sandwhich, only eat half? Im desperate
Thats how my sister lost weight. She stopped drinking all soda. Just water and cut her portions in half. She lost 50 lbs and never stopped eating things she liked just ate less of it.

pippy-pops

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I'll make you a deal... lets both start this sparkpeople.com thing and do it together... ok so we may be millions of miles away from each other but the motivation will be enough!

What do you say???? Deal?

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was like you for years... granted I haven't had kids, but I had office jobs and no self control... my highest was 175 last summer (in defense of that summer, I had sprained my ankle and wasn't working so I was lying on my arse eatnig crud for 5 weeks... gained ten pounds). I am currently at 156 because of what I'm eating (or more precisely, NOT eating). I'm barely exercising, but I know that'll help. My current job is very active, so it's helping... two pounds just this last week.

Here's what I'm doing:
no soda at home... if I eat out, which isn't that often, maybe once a week, I drink a soda. only drinks at home: water and juices. Oh and Chai... but that's my addiction preference over coffee. You mix it with milk, which IS good for dieting. My rule of thumb at home is as follows: juice in hte morning, then a large glass of water. The something else that's flavored (juice, chai), then more water...alternating throughout the day. Try more water than other stuff... something I heard once, from a reputable source, is that when you are hungry, it's not actually food that your body is craving, but water. So drink several glasses of it a day. I have large plastic cups htat hold 28 ounces. I drink at least 3 or those a day.

Food, I do eat less than 'normal' portions. If you have a plate of food in front of you and you don't see much of the actual plate beneath the food, then it's too much. And NO SECONDS!!
Also this is a hard time here in the States because of Halloween (candy), Thanksgiving (TURKEY!!!), and Christmas (parties with food, dinner with food, cookies, candy, etc...), but if you can make it through the holidays and LOSE rather than gain... you're doing fine. Also, don't snack. If you must, drink water and healthy snacks... but in moderation.

I know 128 may seem like a lot... when I was in high school, I weighed about 105... I was a dancer. In my senior year i had to GAIN 5 pounds so I could participate in the Senior Blood Drive. The minimum weight is 110 for donation. But honestly, 128 is roughly what my current goal is... I want to be between 125 and 130. I would love to be down there again. Will I be 115 again? No, I'd probably topple over in light breezes with what my bra size is and at that weight. 130 sounds good to me.

Seriously... instead of the burger, choose a salad with stuff on it... go easy on the dressing... but do live a little. I still splurge once a week and hit a fast food place... wanna know what I get? Chicken sandwiches or, in the case of a local joint (Portlanders read: Burgerville) their Turkey Club... granted I get the fries with that and a soda... but average size, not SUPER size.

Moderation, not fad diets and pills, will be the best plan. Your progress may not be fast. BUT it will have a better chance of sticking.

I have a buddy who goes on Atkins every so often... He's morbidly obese. Great guy... but he just gets cravings, goes off the diet and loses whatever momentum he had during the diet. To put your weight issues in perspective, he's over 400 pounds... he's like ot get to the mid-200's. I wish I could smack some sense into him... but he's 2000 miles away now.

Anyway... good luck. If yo uwant medical advice, talk to your doctor... and he/she may send you to a nutritionist... if the doc feels it's necessary. You don't have much to lose, so it'll probably be just a matter of adjusting eating habits and getting a little more exercise.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever considered Weight Watchers? Its a great program - my mom lost about 60lbs on there last year!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think all of the above advice is excellent. There is one thing I'd like to add, though, especially since you are gaining weight after having your child, and if diet and exercise just don't work.

Please ask your doctor to test you for thyroid antibodies. There are three different tests, I believe, but you need only one. Testing for TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) or Free T4 or T3 (the different thyroid hormones present in your blood) is not adequate if you have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. It is an autoimmune disease where your body is attacking your thyroid gland. It is often triggered after having a baby because your body still has traces of the baby's blood and your body gets confused if this is a virus or something else to attack. If you have Hashimoto's, you are probably also hypothyroid (everything slows down including metabolism) but it won't necessarily show up on TSH tests.

Three days after having my baby, I weighed only eight pounds more than when I got pregnant. But then I started gaining weight even though I exercised every day and watched my vegetarian diet very closely. I also started getting depressed, which is another symptom of low thyroid. My TSH was tested every two months and swung from 3 to 18 without a change in medications. (People with Hashimoto's usually want a TSH of about .5 to 1, but testing for Free T4 and T3 is a better indication if things are getting balanced once you are being treated.)

Feel free to PM me if you want. There are plenty of sites about Hashimoto's Thyroiditis which list the symptoms. It is also difficult to get pregnant if you have low thyroid and it's not being treated. Good luck!

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

p.s. I lost the weight after about two years on dessicated thyroid tablets, without changing anything else.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I wish I only weighed 128lbs. I weigh about 160 and I'm only 5'2". I would think that I would actually lose some weight seeing as pretty much all I eat is Subway, and not even the bad subs..but I don't. My mom is 5'0" and she went from being like 170 to about 130 pounds just from eating smaller portions and drinking lots of water.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pippy-pops

I'll make you a deal... lets both start this sparkpeople.com thing and do it together... ok so we may be millions of miles away from each other but the motivation will be enough!

What do you say???? Deal?
Im joining as I type, I really want to try everything! I think with another person I will be able to do this.

I am weighing 128 but because of my height and overall build I look way bad. The first thing to bulk up are my arms and they are huge, and my face also balloons up. My belly isnt horrible, and my legs always look great, but its those two aspects that really kill me.

I think I can do it!

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlover19

I wish I only weighed 128lbs. I weigh about 160 and I'm only 5'2". I would think that I would actually lose some weight seeing as pretty much all I eat is Subway, and not even the bad subs..but I don't. My mom is 5'0" and she went from being like 170 to about 130 pounds just from eating smaller portions and drinking lots of water.
I hate Subway for that whole ploy... what they don't tell you is that you're getting a ton of carbs in those sandwiches... there's practically no meat or cheese, so of course the calories are low... but the carbs are massive because all you're pretty much eating is bread and condiments (with some lettuce and tomatoes thrown in). If i had my choice between a big, honkin' salad and Subway? I'd choose the salad... much better.

I'm also only 5'2", something i failed to mention in my previous post. I am currently 156, down from 175... I look and feel better than at 175, but i still have a long way to go.

Juliekit... 128 and in the same general height category as us is not bad... really. It could be much worse... you could have ballooned up to 200. Which I've seen during pregnancy. it may seem like a lot... but in the scheme of things, you're still a 'lightweight.' Talk to your doc about the thyroid thing and discuss the desire to lose the weight. I'm only 2 inches taller than you...

Amanda

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DO NOT go for diet pills or some magic diet - they may work short term, but they're not a long term solution.

Learn how to eat healthy, and get into an regular exercise routine.

I'm 175 at the moment which is the heaviest I've been in a loooong time. I started eating more and stopped exercising, which has been very bad for me. I've just started watching what I eat more closely, and starting at the gym. Maybe I'll go to sparkpeople as well....

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Diet pills can lead to bad things...plus they don't work if you don't diet/exercise regularly (IMO they're nothing but sugar pills...but anyways...)

Cut out Fast Food is #1!!!! The Drive through may be quick and easy and they may advertise salads, but seriously have you looked at the nutrition content of those salads?? Still fat and calories.

Your best bet is to make your own food as often as possible. Then you have control of what is being take in.
Throw out all snack food too...or if you "need" snacks, then do the eating every 2 hours. Just take a handful of chips once every 2 hours. Or yogurt, etc.

Also watch the serving content. I.e. a Pint of ice cream does not serve one, but normally 4 people.

Avoid fad diets, those fail quickly. Also make sure you're not losing more than 2-3 pounds per week. It may seem like it'll take you forever, BUT you have a greater chance of doing damage to yourself. I.e. cutting out carbs entirely may shock your body and result in you developing diabetes....

Good Luck!

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eek, 5 foot and you are worried about weighing 128! Join us on Sparkpeople, it's great. They have free meal plans and everything. Also, see your doc. Do not take weight loss pills. They are addictive and they don't work. Since you don't weigh that much I would focus more on being healthy and fit and less on losing weight. Maybe join Curves or do water aerobics or something. I weigh 160 and I'm 5'2, while I know I am overweight, I know getting control over it won't be too hard.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe I missed it, but did anyone mention EXERCISE?

I think that is a big part of shaping up isn't it?? I have lost like 6 pounds in the last month..the 2 reasons? I cut way down on fast food, and I go to the gym every other day rain or shine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I think all of the above advice is excellent. There is one thing I'd like to add, though, especially since you are gaining weight after having your child, and if diet and exercise just don't work.

Please ask your doctor to test you for thyroid antibodies. There are three different tests, I believe, but you need only one. Testing for TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) or Free T4 or T3 (the different thyroid hormones present in your blood) is not adequate if you have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. It is an autoimmune disease where your body is attacking your thyroid gland. It is often triggered after having a baby because your body still has traces of the baby's blood and your body gets confused if this is a virus or something else to attack. If you have Hashimoto's, you are probably also hypothyroid (everything slows down including metabolism) but it won't necessarily show up on TSH tests.

Three days after having my baby, I weighed only eight pounds more than when I got pregnant. But then I started gaining weight even though I exercised every day and watched my vegetarian diet very closely. I also started getting depressed, which is another symptom of low thyroid. My TSH was tested every two months and swung from 3 to 18 without a change in medications. (People with Hashimoto's usually want a TSH of about .5 to 1, but testing for Free T4 and T3 is a better indication if things are getting balanced once you are being treated.)

Feel free to PM me if you want. There are plenty of sites about Hashimoto's Thyroiditis which list the symptoms. It is also difficult to get pregnant if you have low thyroid and it's not being treated. Good luck!

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

p.s. I lost the weight after about two years on dessicated thyroid tablets, without changing anything else.
Ive been thinking about this and I think a doctors visit is in order. A week after giving birth to my baby I was down to 129, swollen and all. I eventually got down to 120, but I am slowly going up again and my diet has not changed at all. I eat the same amount, the same things etc.

lovinmom828

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

I wont go to much on this SwampWitch did a great job explaining this topic. Yes i too have a Thyroid problem and i had never had this before until i had my first son. Then i gained pounds really quickly but once they found out what was wrong they placed me on thyroid tablets and now my weight is down alot. I still have a little to lose but i am so glad they figured this out. I am down to 125 pounds now and i am 5'3 I was 115 pounds when i before i had my first son. I wont tell you how much i was before they figured out my thyroid you cant make me haha. But really please do have the test done better to be safe and have it check right?