Taking Quicksilver to the vets

kura

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I taking her to the vets tomorrow so the vet can see if she is the right size for spaying. I'm gonna use the young nuthering study arrguement if they refuse. Wish us luck.

P.S
Do you think that if they will spay her, tomorrow if they say yes to her age?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck! I am very interested to hear what your vet says, I have to wait til mid November for my boy's neutering, he has to be 6 months. Please keep us updated!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good luck!! If he's older than 2 months and bigger than 2 lbs, and the vet won't do it - then I'd find a different vet. A vet knows the benefits of "pediatric" spaying and neutering, but if they won't do it's probably because they're not comfortable doing it.

I highly doubt you'd get in straight away if he's big enough. You'd need to make an appointment, and depending on his age, make sure he gets no food and water on the day of his surgery.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kura

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Quicksilver is a she and she is 3 1/2 months old.
Yer if the vet says no because she too young blah blah blah, I've printed this http://www.winnfelinehealth.org//rep...y-neuter.htmll
as my arrguement.
As of 9:00pm (uk time) tonight I'm gonna remove all food and water bowls from the floors :p Just incase

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kura

Quicksilver is a she and she is 3 1/2 months old.
Yer if the vet says no because she too young blah blah blah, I've printed this http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/repo...ly-neuter.html
as my arrguement.
As of 9:00pm (uk time) tonight I'm gonna remove all food and water bowls from the floors :p Just incase
Oops sorry - I read the neutering part, but ignored the "she" parts...
Just FYI - girls get spayed, boys get neutered. A vet would have a lot of trouble neutering a girl

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Oops sorry - I read the neutering part, but ignored the "she" parts...
Just FYI - girls get spayed, boys get neutered. A vet would have a lot of trouble neutering a girl
The word 'neuter' just means to desex - to make 'neutral'. My vet's bookings computer uses the terms 'male neuter' or 'female neuter'

kura

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
lol... Vet "Humm I wonder where the balls are"... lol

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are two issues...one is convincing your vet that it is safe to do pediatric spays...the second is having a vet with experience. After all, if you do convince him/her, but it will be the first surgery on such a small kitty, do you want your kitty to be the first?

My foster agency has convinced several vets to begin the pediatric spays/neuters, but we had about 50 kittens at one point this summer. So obviously, the vets get lots and lots of practice!

If your vet has never done this, or will not spay your kitty, try calling local rescues and see who is doing it for them.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

There are two issues...one is convincing your vet that it is safe to do pediatric spays...the second is having a vet with experience. After all, if you do convince him/her, but it will be the first surgery on such a small kitty, do you want your kitty to be the first?
This is the problem as I see it. Even if my vet were aware of pediatric desexing procedures, it is not routinely done in this country! I do not want my kitten to be a 'guinea pig' for a new procedure (at least to vets here), unless that procedure was potentially life-saving... and neutering does not meet that criteria.

I will wait til Radar is 6 months old. He lives indoors with no chance of escape, and no chance of meeting a female cat. It is not worth the risk to have a vet practise something new on him!

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Even if my vet were aware of pediatric desexing procedures, it is not routinely done in this country!
I was going to mention this until I came to your post!

Molly had an earlier spay that is the 'norm' as she was an early starter on heat, so it was best to get her sorted! My vet was very good about it and had done the procedure numerous of times previously.

My last vet would also do very young spay/neuter as they worked closely with a rescue organisation.

I think it does all depend on the vet and their experience with it.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kura

I taking her to the vets tomorrow so the vet can see if she is the right size for spaying. I'm gonna use the young nuthering study arrguement if they refuse. Wish us luck.

P.S
Do you think that if they will spay her, tomorrow if they say yes to her age?
They might if they have an opening. I took Kitten in for her shots and they said they had time so did I want them to spay her that day. I said sure since she was already 7 months old. Thankfully she never went into heat. Bagheera I just called the day before he got neutered and they said bring him in tomorow. He was 14 weeks old.

kura

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

I'm not sure as I have become very attached to her. (I nursed her threw cat flu)
If it would the vets first time I think I would ask to sit in on the op. I would like to sit in on the op it they had done it before anyway, just out of curiosity.