I cannot believe this - small rant

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
My MIL has a 2 year old male neutered cat. After losing one cat to some predator and having this one treed several times by the neighbor's dog and in a cat fight, she has decided to keep him inside (finally). She wanted to get Charlie some company and her vet says: you can't get another cat with an old tom

I cannot believe he thinks that Charlie wouldn't adjust to another cat. He grew up with their older cat who just recently passed away (natural causes) and Charlie is still very young. So I'm thinking that Charlie would do just fine. What do you think?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So long as they are introduced properly it should be okay, probably good for him seeing as he's used to having company.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had 1 male who was around 14 and 1 female who is about 8 1/2 and I brought 6 in they didn't care
they all get along we have a few smacks here and there but nothing serious ever, I would think if it's done right of course it would work, and he's not an old Tom 2 yrs old is not old at all. Good Luck hope your Mom gets him company

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Calling a two year old and 'old tom'?
What an odd thing for a vet to say!!

Tibby wasthree when Annie came into our home and you know what they're like with their wrestling!
I think that no matter what age Tibby is, he'll still be the first to make friends with any new additions to my house!

I think it should be fine and agree that it would probably help with the transition to indoor kitty!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would also think things done properly,would be alright.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've brought in kittens, with a 10-to-12-year old male and things went fine.

BTW: you mom needs to find a new vet - THAT one is just plain ignorant.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sheesh I am amazed dometimes at the things some vets say
I say your Mom should definitely go for it!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gosh Ox was 15 when I brought Bakker into the house-he has adjusted to all the cats. What was the vet thinking??

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd be getting a new vet right away f my vet ever said that!

First of all, they cease to be toms when they're altered. Secondly, two years old is not old. FInally, most cats, save the occassional alpha female or extremely aggressive male LOVE to have other cats around. I would reccommend a younger kitty, maybe a neutered male, who has a similar level of activity to the other kitty.

lovemybabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's so strange!
Our old tom, Wuzzy, we had him for about 14 years and he dealt with all of our kitties great! He simply asserted himself as the alpha and the others accepted that, and they got along fine. Maybe talk to another vet in town?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

I'd be getting a new vet right away f my vet ever said that!

First of all, they cease to be toms when they're altered. Secondly, two years old is not old. FInally, most cats, save the occassional alpha female or extremely aggressive male LOVE to have other cats around. I would reccommend a younger kitty, maybe a neutered male, who has a similar level of activity to the other kitty.
Pixel was 7 when Cable came, & they get along just fine. took awhile, but they got there. i don't understand that vet at all.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katl8e

BTW: you mom needs to find a new vet - THAT one is just plain ignorant.
I think it's very ignorant of the vet to make a blanket statement like that. He sounds like he doesn't have much to do with cats.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know its already been said, but geesh-what was that "vet" thinking??
A 2 y/o is not OLD! And if hes used to another cat-I think he would be just fine with another cat. Your mom should get another opinion OR just get another cat, if thats what she wants to do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Thank you all for your responses. I'm going to talk to my MIL about this. She introduced Charlie into the household with Ramsey (the one who just recently passed) and Ramsey was about 10 years old. I just was in shock that he said something like this.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know why he would say such a thing but maybe he meant well. Is he an older vet? Sometimes the older ones get set in their ways and they may be good clinically but still in the old mind set. But I am not excusing him just trying to see why I kind of try to see the best in people. But I do agree that if the cat is already used to having cats around that he should be okay. And we want pictures. I love looking at kitties.