Best automatic litter boxes? (special needs person)

jpinard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. I'm on disability and have a surpressed pulmonary immune system which means cleaning kitty litter is kind of dangerous for me.
Currently have a Giant Booda Box and use normal litter (non-clumping), but the new kitty (6 months old now) needs pretty clean litter or she poops in front of the box. I used to change the litter (full exchange) once every 27 days. Now it's way more often - like every 7 days - and is too much.

So I've been looking at the automatic litter boxes:

* Litter Robot
* Littermaid (biggest one)
* Simple Clean
* Purforma Plus

It appears the Litter Robot is the best one with the fewest complaints, but I thought I should come here and get more opinions on this. I know they're terribly expensive, but right now I'm spending ~$28 a month on litter anyways - so in the long run clumping litter with an auto-box might save me money. So any feedback (good or bad) on these boxes?

Thanks for the help and advice

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jpinard

Hi everyone. I'm on disability and have a surpressed pulmonary immune system which means cleaning kitty litter is kind of dangerous for me.
Currently have a Giant Booda Box and use normal litter (non-clumping), but the new kitty (6 months old now) needs pretty clean litter or she poops in front of the box. I used to change the litter (full exchange) once every 27 days. Now it's way more often - like every 7 days - and is too much.

So I've been looking at the automatic litter boxes:

* Litter Robot
* Littermaid (biggest one)
* Simple Clean
* Purforma Plus

It appears the Litter Robot is the best one with the fewest complaints, but I thought I should come here and get more opinions on this. I know they're terribly expensive, but right now I'm spending ~$28 a month on litter anyways - so in the long run clumping litter with an auto-box might save me money. So any feedback (good or bad) on these boxes?

Thanks for the help and advice
i have 3 littermaids, & i like them just fine. i've had very few problems with them that i haven't been able to solve easily. if you only need one box, then you could maybe afford the more expensive ones. with 4 cats, i need 3 boxes, so i need the cheaper littermaids.

catatoniccat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am new to the site and came when I saw this topic, I wanted to see if anyone knew about the Cat genie. I saw this it on hgtv and am seriously considering it. Since it is $300 I thought I would ask you all to see if anyone can help me with info before I buy it.

I am NOT into scooping and I hate buying heavy bags of litter. So when I saw this box that self washed and self flushed without litter I was VERY interested but is it too good to be true?

thanks

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatatonicCat

I am new to the site and came when I saw this topic, I wanted to see if anyone knew about the Cat genie. I saw this it on hgtv and am seriously considering it. Since it is $300 I thought I would ask you all to see if anyone can help me with info before I buy it.

I am NOT into scooping and I hate buying heavy bags of litter. So when I saw this box that self washed and self flushed without litter I was VERY interested but is it too good to be true?

thanks
has to be near both an electrical source & a water source. wouldn't work for me.

fluffcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've got the Cat Genie and so far it's working well but it all depends on the cat - of my four, three will use it, one won't have anything to do with it and they generally prefer their old trays. The unit itself is well made but does have some issues with solids and needs cleaning every few months. The best place for information is http://www.litterbox-central.com/for...4a60e050af8702

catatoniccat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fluffcat

I've got the Cat Genie and so far it's working well but it all depends on the cat - of my four, three will use it, one won't have anything to do with it and they generally prefer their old trays. The unit itself is well made but does have some issues with solids and needs cleaning every few months. The best place for information is http://www.litterbox-central.com/for...4a60e050af8702
What do mean it has trouble with solids? Isn't that what it is supposed to take care of? I do not think cleaning every few months is too bad. I mean I clean my toilet once a week.

Thanks for the link it was VERY helpful. I was ssuprised to see how many people were so passionate about the Catgenie that I think I may just order it. However, before I do I want to hear more about the questions I asked about what you said above.
thanks

fluffcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
http://www.litterbox-central.com/for...pic.php?t=1271. I think the issue is too much poop at one time can leave poop in the bowl and a nasty ring around the unit. Running it again clears the problem but that takes another 25-30 mins meaning the box is out of commission and if kitty wants to pee too bad!
Overall I like the Cat Genie but the cats aren't sure - I'm down from 4 regular litterboxes to 2 plus the Genie so I'm winning and will be keeping it. Customer service is excellent - I received a bad cartridge and they replaced it immediately. Any problems/questions are answered asap.

Cost wise it's cheapest from www.petedge.com and so is replacement litter and sani solution cartridges.

aiko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
COOOOOOOOOOLLL!!! & i thought i was spoiled with my littermaid! might have to look into getting one of those!!! Wow.. the thought of never scooping/dumping...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jpinard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fluffcat

http://www.litterbox-central.com/for...pic.php?t=1271. I think the issue is too much poop at one time can leave poop in the bowl and a nasty ring around the unit. Running it again clears the problem but that takes another 25-30 mins meaning the box is out of commission and if kitty wants to pee too bad!
Overall I like the Cat Genie but the cats aren't sure - I'm down from 4 regular litterboxes to 2 plus the Genie so I'm winning and will be keeping it. Customer service is excellent - I received a bad cartridge and they replaced it immediately. Any problems/questions are answered asap.

Cost wise it's cheapest from www.petedge.com and so is replacement litter and sani solution cartridges.
Does petedge sell kitty litter? I didn't really see any.

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm looking at the Scoop Free, and since I have only one cat, can *hope* to get about a month out of a cartridge. I like the idea of just picking the whole tray up, and throwing it away. No scooping, no trays to empty, and no clumps to clog anything (I hope, at least!)

I'm actually going to leave here in a few minutes to pick one up/at least look at one in person, before I go to work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jpinard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marishka

I'm looking at the Scoop Free, and since I have only one cat, can *hope* to get about a month out of a cartridge. I like the idea of just picking the whole tray up, and throwing it away. No scooping, no trays to empty, and no clumps to clog anything (I hope, at least!)

I'm actually going to leave here in a few minutes to pick one up/at least look at one in person, before I go to work.
Will you post your results here?

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jpinard

Will you post your results here?
No problem. I set it up before I left, so hopefully I will see if she is using it within a few days (hopefully sooner!)

A few things I already like:

-The trays are so easy to set up and replace. They just sit on the floor, and the box sits on that. Just lift up the box, put down the tray, and put the box back down.

-It's pretty big! The box it comes in is huge, and took up a lot of the back of my car...hah.

-I got it for cheaps without having to get it online. At Jack's Aquairum & Pets I got it for $119.00, the same day, and no shipping (and with something as big as it is, I thought the shipping and handling would be huge).

The only downside is the cartridges are not cheap. At the above store they were almost $20 a piece. But I can get them online with Amazon.com with free shipping for like $43 for three, which comes out to, what, $14? At $14 a month, it is worth the extra money for the convience it offers (esp. working and going to school full-time).

I can see with your immune deficiency that handling as little litter possible is a necessity, and with the whole tray system maybe that will help since you don't have to touch the waste, just the tray. I will take some pics soon for ya, too.

Hope that helps!