KittenKiya's Clan Ferals

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have set up with winter sleeping tent for the ferals as of last week. (it is NOT cold here yet by any means, but for some reason the cats were looking for the tent).

I was wondering what others were doing to give their ferals some extra something for the winter. For example, I put out a dish of milk for the ferals each night, but during the winter, they get canned milk. I also give them some fat from bacon and some drippings and meats and fats from turkeys or chicken or whatever we are eating. I hate to say it but they love hotdogs, so that is a treat too. I also have given them cheese.

What is everyone else doing?

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKiya

I have set up with winter sleeping tent for the ferals as of last week. (it is NOT cold here yet by any means, but for some reason the cats were looking for the tent).

I was wondering what others were doing to give their ferals some extra something for the winter. For example, I put out a dish of milk for the ferals each night, but during the winter, they get canned milk. I also give them some fat from bacon and some drippings and meats and fats from turkeys or chicken or whatever we are eating. I hate to say it but they love hotdogs, so that is a treat too. I also have given them cheese.

What is everyone else doing?
Warmed chicken broth is good for in the wintertime. BTW..I wouldn't give them cow's milk.

Do you work with any TNR group?

Katie

flamingo13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We used to have a feral colony - the site I was working with brought me: one of those large Rubbermaid tubs (like you would get for clothing, decorations, whatever) - Straw in the bottom (about 4" or so) - a hole cut out (just large enough for a kitty) on opposite ends of the wide sides (hope that makes sense) - we also had some old carpeting that we put underneath it. We had this out on our deck (in Virginia) - the cats LOVED it - they could get in there and snuggle, it kept out most of elements, and kept in the body heat.

Post if you have any questions, I have other tubs about the same size, so could get you the dimensions and explain better if needed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
TNR1:

Nope, I am a loner. Couldn't find anyone around when I decided to get the ferals spayed and neutered, got the trapping info here, talked my vet into letting me come down when I caught them, and then I released them back at my home. I told the ferals that if they wanted to stay, there would be food and water 24/7. I guess they decided to stay. I build a "den" on my porch each winter, lined with cardboard and blankets. They love it. I know most people don't like giving cow's milk to cats, but if these guys didn't like it, they wouldn't drink it. It is always gone the next morning. It is sort of a "night cap" for them.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKiya

TNR1:

Nope, I am a loner. Couldn't find anyone around when I decided to get the ferals spayed and neutered, got the trapping info here, talked my vet into letting me come down when I caught them, and then I released them back at my home. I told the ferals that if they wanted to stay, there would be food and water 24/7. I guess they decided to stay. I build a "den" on my porch each winter, lined with cardboard and blankets. They love it. I know most people don't like giving cow's milk to cats, but if these guys didn't like it, they wouldn't drink it. It is always gone the next morning. It is sort of a "night cap" for them.
That's great that you got them spayed/neutered yourself.

As far as the cow's milk....If you want to provide them a nightcap...I would switch to goat's milk.

Katie

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much. Any and all advice is accepted with gratitude.

kura

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In the area I live in there are not ferals about

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Where I live there aren't any ferals that I see...but I know there are ferals in my area. I volunteer at a monthly feral cat clinic and every month at least 50 cats are brought in cages to be spayed/neutered. Most feral cats only come out at dawn and dusk unless there is a food source.

Katie

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a trailer park and so people feel that they can drive in and throw their animals out the windows of their cars and then just take off, whereas if they tried that in the open, they could get prosecuted and fined.

In the last two years, there have been anywhere from 3 to 5 dogs running around and 5 to 9 different cats, many of which found their way to my house for a meal and some water and rest. Then they just vanished. I can tell if there have been extras around by how much food has disappeared from the time I leave for work and the time I get home.

I actually watched one guy throw a small calico kitten out of his car window. I was stupid, I went for the kitten instead of getting his license plate number. The kitten was freaked out and scampered away, just as that moron drove his car around the bend so I couldn't see the plate number.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We've been following each other's "ferals" for quite a few years now - and you've done such a great job!!!!!!!!!!

They do tend to love the cow's milk - but it usually gives them diarrhea. Switching to goat milk or boiled chicken broth is probably better for the kitties, and they'll lap it up just the same! :;

You're such an angel! And - down your way it doesn't get too cold. Up here we use straw in wood houses, but that'd probably be too hot where you are.

Give them all some scritches from me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laurie