ragdolls - correct weight range?

sparklesbling

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello
I have two ragdoll kittens - one is male, 7 months and 5.3kg (approx 11.6pounds) and the other is female, 6 months and 3.7kg (approx 8.1 pounds).

I'm wondering if they're in the correct weight range for their age? I know they're big cats by breed but the male in particular seems quite large for his age and was wondering if any breeders had any advice on whether this range seems right for ragdolls?
Thanks

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It sounds like your 2 Raggies are doing well. It all has to do with genetics. Each line can mature at different rates, such as we have a kitten who is growing very quickly her first year, her Daddy grew very much in his first year, but has only slightly filled out more since then. I also have a 5 year old neutered male Ragdoll, that grew at an average speed and continued growing longer and more weight all the way up to and past age 4.
The Ragdolls are known to be a slower maturing breed, they can and do grow up to 4 years of age, but some cats will do most of the growing in the first year or two, and some will grow up to and past the 4 year mark.
Your Ragdolls are doing well within the weights you mentioned. Our neutered 5 year old male was about 11 lbs at age 1, 13 lbs at age 2, 15 lbs at age 3, and now at age 5, he stays between 16-18 lbs depending on our seasons. He is very healthy, no fat on him, except for the fat pad located at the bottom of his belly, which is very normal on all cats, but more prevalent in the Ragoll breed.
If you do still feel worried, a vet check will be coming up soon, ask the vet how he feels about their weight and size.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not have a ragdoll but I do have a six month old male Persian that weighs in at 7 pounds, yet his brother only weighs 5 pounds. They have pedigreed parents and both appear quite healthy despite the difference (and kind of unexplanable to me) difference in weight.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think they sound fine. My girl Sabina is a RagaMuffin (mother a Ragdoll), and she is 9lbs at six months

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just "weighing in" - Smudge is 6 1/2 months old and 9 pounds! He's as big, if not as heavy, as all our adult cats!

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Just "weighing in" - Smudge is 6 1/2 months old and 9 pounds! He's as big, if not as heavy, as all our adult cats!
I wonder how much bothers Ares and Chance weigh. Ares is atleast 9lbs and chance weighs slightly less I think, he is longer and slenderer.
Chance will be going to the vets soon, to check-up on his leg and see how the heart murmur is, mabey I will bring them both for weigh-ins, LOL!