Vibes needed- Ismene has some sort of neurological disorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I just spent 4 hrs at the emergency vet clinic to try to find out what is happening to my tiny girl, Ismene, and the best the vet can tell me is it is some sort of neurological problem
I was up late last night and noticed that Ismene was walking very strangely, like her back legs were not really doing what she wanted them too
She would kinda half fall over and when she tried to jump up on the couch she did't quite make it and had to drag herself up. I had to work this morning, but when I got home she was still in the same condition so off to the vet we go. There is nothing obviously wrong, no ear infection, all vitals normal, the blood work that they did was all normal too. The vet is speculating that she may have some sort of spinal infection and put her on anti-biotics and suggested steroids, but I elected to put those off for now to see if there is any improvement with the anti-biotics. Izzy is acting perfectly fine, other than her back legs kinda have a mind of their own. Can you please send some vibes her way that this isn't anything permanent? My poor little Iz

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor little baby, she's so cute. I'm sending many vibes her way that it's nothing serious. Ismene will be in my thoughts and prayers.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Katie, I'm sorry to hear about Ismene. There was a kitten, Taz, at the shelter here with similar symptoms. The vet suspected that he had a stroke. Hopefully Izzy's health will improve ont he antibiotics....with her being FeLV+ is it safe to give steriods? I know the vet didn't really want to give Twitch steroids because of the health risks & she is FeLV-.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Katie, I'm sorry to hear about Ismene. There was a kitten, Taz, at the shelter here with similar symptoms. The vet suspected that he had a stroke. Hopefully Izzy's health will improve ont he antibiotics....with her being FeLV+ is it safe to give steriods? I know the vet didn't really want to give Twitch steroids because of the health risks & she is FeLV-.
That's why I elected to hold off on those, Natalie, I honestly would rather not give them to her EVER, but if there's no improvement I may try, for a very short period of time, and if there's no change get her off them ASAP. This is just so strange! I thought about a stroke too, but I don't have the $1000 to get an MRI done to verify. She's bright and alert, loving the extra attention Meowmy is giving her
just looks like she got dizzy

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for Ismene. At least she is smart enough to know meowmy is worried & she should milk this for all it's worth!

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Katie, I'm so sorry. It's so hard to be at work away from our babies, isn't it?

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vibes coming that way!!! I hope it is something simple and that can be foxed EASY!!

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

Well, I just spent 4 hrs at the emergency vet clinic to try to find out what is happening to my tiny girl, Ismene, and the best the vet can tell me is it is some sort of neurological problem
.............. Can you please send some vibes her way that this isn't anything permanent? My poor little Iz
I'm so sorry you're going through this! Neurological problems are the worst since they are so hard to pinpoint and so expensive for the tests. The vets stated that Nakita's hyperesthesia could be neurologically related as well. I hope this isn't permanent

How old is Ismene? Has she been tested for diabetes? Diabetes often causes weakness in the hind legs of cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your well wishes

Originally Posted by Russian Blue

I'm so sorry you're going through this! Neurological problems are the worst since they are so hard to pinpoint and so expensive for the tests. The vets stated that Nakita's hyperesthesia could be neurologically related as well. I hope this isn't permanent

How old is Ismene? Has she been tested for diabetes? Diabetes often causes weakness in the hind legs of cats.
The vet didn't mention diabetes, hmmmm, she's only 7 months old, but I guess if humans get juvenile diabetes, no reason cats couldn't. I'll call to see if that is one of the tests they ran

Originally Posted by Anakat

Just looking in to se how she is today.
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

Give us an update when you can Katie, and a hug from me to her!
She is very very weak and her poor little body is still not doing what she wants it too, but she did eat last night and this morning.... and she used the litter box! it took her about 5 tries to get in there, but she did it
I basically sat on the couch with her all last evening, she just slept on me and then her and Nike snuggled for a bit in the cat bed. I really think she's fighting, but I don't know if her spirit can win over her body
I'm seriously thinking about leaving work early today to go home and check on her
if you all can, please continue the vibes, I know TCSers have helped a miracle happen before, my little Iz is too young to go to the Rainbow Bridge, she still has a lot of life to live

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Katie, my thoughts and prayers are with you and little Izzy.
Please let me know if there's anything I can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.