Halloween Candy- How Many of You Are Guilty???

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Soo...as i'm currently sitting here eating some of the Halloween (did I spell that right?) candy that Colin and I bought for our trick or treaters,
I was wondering who else is guilty of this???? Last year Colin almost ran out of candy because we ate a bunch of it before Halloween
....Who else eats the candy that was intended for those poor little trick or treaters??? I KNOW I'm not the only one

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL *raises hand*

I live in an apartment now so I don't get kids coming around for treats, but when I lived in a house I would usually have to go back to the store at least once to buy more candy to give out because I ended up eating most of what I had bought earlier, LOL

For some reason candy at Easter and Halloween just tastes yummier

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't get trick-or-treaters out here in the boonies!! But, I am quilty of eating my kids candy.LOL!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

LOL *raises hand*

I live in an apartment now so I don't get kids coming around for treats, but when I lived in a house I would usually have to go back to the store at least once to buy more candy to give out because I ended up eating most of what I had bought earlier, LOL

For some reason candy at Easter and Halloween just tastes yummier
mmmmmmmmmmm, Easter candy!!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

We don't get trick-or-treaters out here in the boonies!! But, I am quilty of eating my kids candy.LOL!!
Tammy! Shame on you!
You eat take candy from your children??? That's just mean now

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

But necessary for the safety of the kids!

janb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had last year a fully grown woman come to my door trick or treating. She was about 6ft tall and well made and she was dressed as a witch. I asked her where the kids were she said ' they couldn't be bothered to come so i am doing it for them'
After i stopped laughing at the site in front of my eyes i sent her on her way, with NO sweets to put in her little goodie bag.
Talk about cheek

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

But necessary for the safety of the kids!
Hey, you GOTTA taste it to make sure it's not rotten!!!
And what if the kids don't like the taste
gotta check that too!!

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We just spent $20 on halloween candy Friday night. We bought Skittles, White Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups, Blowpops, Milky Way, 3 Musketeers, Snickers, and Peanut Butter M&M's. Let's just say that I should not have opened the bags and dumped them into the candy bowl so early! We have been nibbling all weekend! The poor trick-or-treaters
I wonder if they would be happy with a mint, or possibly some type of food from the fridge

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Hey, you GOTTA taste it to make sure it's not rotten!!!
And what if the kids don't like the taste
gotta check that too!!
When my niece was younger, her and my nephew came over just after trick or treating...... I was sitting with her on the couch and had her candy out telling her, "Now let me check to see if this is ok for you to eat" and I would pop the whole thing in my mouth. I kept doing this until finally she just bust out crying
I felt so bad I had to take her immediately to the store to replenish her candy. She never understood the theory of safety

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by janb

I had last year a fully grown woman come to my door trick or treating. She was about 6ft tall and well made and she was dressed as a witch. I asked her where the kids were she said ' they couldn't be bothered to come so i am doing it for them'
After i stopped laughing at the site in front of my eyes i sent her on her way, with NO sweets to put in her little goodie bag.
Talk about cheek
Back when I was 18 my youngest nephew was barely more than a toddler and he didn't have the stamina to go trick or treating with his older brother and sister and tired out after only about 10 houses, hehe Bulky costume and plodding through snow tends to do that to a little guy
Anyway, I was dressed up to go to a halloween ball so I figured I'd go around the neighbourhood and trick or treat for him to get him a little more goodies. My friend and my cousin who were also dressed up came with me. The neighbours thought it was great and we came home with nearly 3 pillow cases of candy for little Ryan. Of course now his older brother and sister were upset, so my brother had to split the goodies 3 ways but they were in sweets heaven for months! Of course that was back when people used to give you a handful of chocolate and candy or full sized bags of chips and things. Now things are so expensive that people tend to give out only 1 item per child instead of heaps.

It's such a shame that kids have to be so worried about what they get now. Back when I was a kid you didn't hear about poisoned candy or needles in apples etc. We used to get tons of apples and my mom used to make apple pies from them. We even got lots of homemade goodies too. Now if you get homemade goodies you simply throw them out.

One year my friend and I had bought treats to give out and also made some homemade goodie bags with rice crispy squares, brownies and cookies (all nut free). We put our names, address and phone number in the bags and only gave them to kids who had parents with them after asking the parents if they minded. Once the parents made sure the address in the goodie bag matched that of the house, they were happy to accept them. There were a few hold outs who refused, but that was fine we understood it wasn't anything against us.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always end up eating the candy!!

We live in an apartment, but I always buy it just incase

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, not me, never
I haven't handed out candy since the boys were born. I usually just eat the candy the kids bring home.. I have to inspect it to make sure its safe... and besides, we wouldn't want thier teeth to rot out would we?

Edit: I just thought about something. You remember as a kid when people would give you fruit or pennies at halloween? I now know why... THEY ATE ALL THE CANDY!

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
To stop this problem, we only buy the candy the day before (or the day of) Halloween. But over the past few years, trick or treaters has dwindled in the neighbourhood, so we get a max of 10 doorbell ringers and then nobody else comes, so we get to eat the rest of the candy. Last year, though, mom picked up only gummy-type treats that we hated (all the better to stay away from them, I guess!) but last year was a record low so we had a horrible amount to somehow eat. This year, I vow to allow ONLY chocolate in the house! No more gummy Spongebob Squarepants!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The gummy Crabby Patties were pretty good.
I am not buying any candy until Halloween, so I won't be tempted, but I am sure we will have plenty left over. I am not sure if kids even trick or treat in this neighborhood.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We haven't had and trick or treaters in 2-3 years but I buy candy-just in case and Just in cae no one comes I better buy something I like!!!
When we were little I remember trick or treating for Unicef and collecting pennies. We would get "full size" candy bars too.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trick or Treating is strongly discouraged in this area, a lot of the church folk are against Halloween altogether, but they still hold Trunk or Treats in the church parking lots.

We buy Halloween candy specifically for us!

Nov. 1st is our favorite day at the store