Q for those who use Feline Pine...

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Recently we bought some Feline Pine and yesterday I used it for the first time. I followed the directions on the bag: 1" pine followed by 3" usual litter (I probably only did like 2 or 2.5" on the litter though). That was yesterday morning-ish and then I was gone all day so I didn't see them use the box or anything. This morning when I woke up I could smell poo really strongly through the house and when I went and checked there were 3 poo's in front of & around the box!!

I saw Bandit use the box this morning while I was trying to clean everything so I know it wasn't him. I think it was Maui cuz the poo's were too big for Skunk
I'll be watching them today to find out who the culprit is...

I should mention that I have another box that has just litter in it right next to his box.... one of the poo's was in front of that box and the rest were in a hidden corner of the room. There was plenty of poo in Maui's box (the kittens use it) and in the just litter box it was mainly pee...

Anyone have any problems like this before? What should I do?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh man that sucks. i never have had that sort of problem though. I don't do gradual switches, I just switch to the new litter all at once. How about trying a covered litterbox?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I probably would've just switched them over cold turkey but I thought maybe I should try and do it the "right way." Usually I just switch and I've never had any problems either

They do have covered boxes- because Maui loves to play in the box & he's a major litter flinger...

I'm still trying to keep an eye on who's doing what, I saw Maui go down there but I didn't see any poo anywhere

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe your cat doesn't like the smell or the feel of the new litter?I think I'd use a bit less of the pine stuff and see if that helps.
GOOD LUCK!!

furbum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The kitties responsible have rejected that litter. What kind did you have previously? It is difficult for some kitties to switch between rock-based/tree-based/food-based/other litters.

Is it possible to leave a box with the old stuff in it?

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The litter I was using is Tidy Cats Long Lasting Odor Formula...

All along there has been 1 box out of the two with just their normal litter... I'm not sure what to do. No one has had an accident

Ok!!!! I just went and checked and there was another poop!!! BUT I noticed that the door on his box was sticking out some, so I pushed it and it wouldn't go in!!!!! Since there was poop in the box when I cleaned it earlier today I know they could get in all yesterday & last night, I guess when I cleaned it today I put the lid on wrong so the door wasn't working

So I know that wasn't the reason for the poops today but maybe that's the reason for the poop I just found... After I realized it I fixed it and Maui went right in and started playing around!
Now I just need to make sure Skunk is going in there.

For some reason Bandit won't use the regular box and I can't figure out why
I'll just have to keep an eye on them- as long as they're using a box at least!

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe it's the smell. I use just enough to get one layer on the bottom and not as much as they say. I also had some pooing out of the box when I started, but I am not positiv it was the FP that was the problem. I do like how it soaks up the odors and make cleaning the box easier.

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I checked this morning and we had no accidents (intentional or otherwise
) so... woohoo!!!!

I can't wait until I am using just FP- I hate regular litter and from what I can see the pellets doing now I think it will work great!

Another question for those of you who use it- did you have to get a new scoop? The one I have now scoops up the pellets when I use it... I noticed on the bag if you send in $3 they'll send you a wider scoop, maybe I'll do that.

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think if you are scooping the pellets maybe you are digging too deep? I find that ths stuff disintegrates on the bottom level and absorbes the smell nicely. My scoop is coarse so even if I do get a few pellets they will shake out easily.

prosperity

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did buy a new scoop for mine. I found one with bigger holes at the pet store and didn't need to send away for it.

I love Feline Pine!

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 2dogmom

I think if you are scooping the pellets maybe you are digging too deep? I find that ths stuff disintegrates on the bottom level and absorbes the smell nicely. My scoop is coarse so even if I do get a few pellets they will shake out easily.
I think it's a problem right now because I have both FP and regular litter in their box & it's all mixed together now that they've been using it.

Makes box scooping kind of worse than usual- cuz the two different litters try to process their treasures two different ways

I'm just so relieved there weren't any carpet poo's this morning!

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my cast hate it, they use the floor in front of the box more then the box. I have used a bottle of pine sol and tons of toilet paper since I got it! but I haven't had to scoop the litter box much. I have seen them all use it, so they can use it, so mabey they just feel like being nasty on occasion? I am getting fed up with them and litter. Righty now I have 5 cats and they are all about to get put out (or gone to new homes) I think it's mostly the young boys, chance and ares, but if I don't get it figured out soon they will all be gone. I have tried switching to regular now too, and they are still using the floor. Never had a problem till the fp now all I do is clean poo off the floors, the the idoit I live with doesn't like cats much anyways so he is threatening to "fix the problem" and i am getting to the point were I am ready for them to go. If I was in a better situation I would just get rid of the kids father, since i like the cats better (even pooing on the floor they are better companions and still make less of a mess.)

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gizmo didn't like the Feline Pine. She used the box, but not enthusiastically. I found her only 'accident' outside the box just at that time and got the hint. I switched to Nature's Miracle and there were no more problems.

I always switch her cold turkey. Mixing the stuff is not good with the flushables.

furbum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gizmocat

Gizmo didn't like the Feline Pine. She used the box, but not enthusiastically. I found her only 'accident' outside the box just at that time and got the hint. I switched to Nature's Miracle and there were no more problems.

I always switch her cold turkey. Mixing the stuff is not good with the flushables.
Bootsie was the same way with World's Best. She got used to it but would look for excuses to miss the box on occasion. For a long time I was pretty selfish about making them get used to the litters I liked, but after enough accidents I gave in and let them choose. They really preferred the regular rock litters as opposed to the natural alternatives.

I think switching the litter gradually is a good way to get a cat to use litter they would otherwise leave alone. But, it is probably better to just give them the option of different kinds and let them choose, for example, you could set out a box each of rock-based, tree-based, and food-based litters and count how many goodies you find in each at each scooping.

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gizmocat

I think next time I change the litter I'm just going to go straight FP and see what happens- I'm not a huge fan of this "weaning everyone on to it" deal. I kind of feel like- give it a shot and if they don't take to it then try weaning them onto it...

Anyway- I am not flushing this stuff since I'd have to carry it all the way across the house to do it
Not something I want to tote around! I am trying to convince Chad to let me use it as fertilizer but he's not too crazy about that
I'll probably just end up putting it on our compost pile.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
there are some sites about composting animal manure...it's fine for flowers, but you should not put it in compost that is intended for vegetables that you intend to eat.

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I definetely wouldn't plan on using this for growing any type of food!!

It's all of the grass clippings, leaves, and other garbage Chad gets out of peoples yards when he mows... You wouldn't believe the things he comes home with
my particular favorite is a bright blue pair of ladies undies and a bra... all the weirdo stuff comes from the gas stations

PLUS if I knew I had thrown kitty litter in there
I definetely wouldn't consider using it! But good suggestion because who knows what kind of ideas people have & who knows who else is reading this!