How many is too many?

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this has probably been asked before.But, thought I'd ask it any ways.
How many cats is too many for you?
How many do you have?
names & approximate ages
I am at my limit!!!

Anymore than 5
I have 5
Blaze is 1 1/2
Corwin is 5 months
Lilly is 4 months
Sapphire is 3 months
Mia is 2 months

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't ever want to put an absolute number on this. We have three and it's a comfortable number for us. I would consider more, in the right circumstances, but what are those circumstances? I don't know. Cross that bridge when we get there.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cannot vote on this poll - too few options...I have 10 with two litters coming, another aby male and two more aby females coming hopwfully before february of next year!

My current cats are:

Stevie - 2 yrs 2 months
Reecie - 2 yrs 1 month
Gpop - 8 years 4 months
Lou - 17 months
Donny - 1 yr 8 months
Tuah - 4+ years (I think, he's my rescue)
Dodo - 10 months
Tam tam - 1 1/2 years (maybe, she was catnapped by my mom from the wet market)
Mocha & Milo - 2/22/06 - so that makes them7 months or so

I had 14 in the beginning of August this year. I should be at 20 or so by February of next year so, at the moment, the sky's the limit!

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think as many as you can handle-both financially and physically-is fine with me
Think of Katie and all her wonderful FLV kitties! And she has 13!

I have one named Oscar and he is 4

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For me my limit would be 3...so that means that somewhere down the road (in a couple of years maybe) I will have to add to my fur family

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would love to add to our fur family, but at the moment we are stretched for space with 4, but once we move we will probably add a kitten to the family (he says puppy I say kitten!)

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Uh......I don't know!

3 was going to be it....but then a co-worker friend called to tell me that he'd found a nearly starved buff kitten on his cattle farm, trying to gnaw pieces off a feed block made for cattle. That's how Rumpleteaser came to live with us, and it became 4.

4 was going to be it....but then they opened a railroad boxcar at work, and a tiny little red and white kitten, that had been inside for at least the 6 day ride, was waiting at the door, and he promptly demanded the turkey sandwich that our production planner had in her backpack. That's how Skimbleshanks came to live with us, and it became 5.

5 was going to be it....but then the bonded pair of cats that I'd been sponsoring at the shelter went past the 3 month mark, and they told me that they would either have to be adopted out separately, or sent back to the old shelter and put back on the countdown clock...but since I'd already paid half their adoption fee, and they were spayed and up to date on shots.....
Thats how Peanut Butterum and Sassy Sasparilla came to live with us, and it became 7.

7 was going to be it....but then I volunteered to work at the shelter's "adoptathon", on local public television. Thats where I met Trace, the smashing white, 3 legged boy with the heart of gold....and also heard the little girl call him "icky" because of his missing leg. Duh, you guessed it. That is how Trace Tumblebrutus came to live with us, and it became 8.

8 is going to be it!

To be continued.......

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, should be another option to vote for - "It depends". We have two now, but about 20 years ago we had over 30 at one point (we were in the country until the suburbs started closing in.
).

I'm still a bit sad I had to turn down taking in one of Ari's littermates whose human gave him up. (For all the wrong reasons, IMO. He did find another home, thank goodness!
)

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I said 4-7 just because I personally could never afford having that many...I think 2 would be my max.

Ideally, I would have alot more, but I can't imagine affording it...maybe I'll meet a cat loving husband who will tolerate me being a crazy cat lady

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two, but 6 years ago i had 21 cats.
I think it depends on money, and space issues.

I know if i had a big house again with a huge garden id foster.
I guess that can wait, maybe one day ill marry a rich guy and i can be a stay at home mum! Then i could take in more kitties

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At the moment, it is 2 - I have gone up to 3 permanents twice, the first time nearly crippled me financially, the second didn't, but both times it was only for a couple of months, so (stupidly or not), I decided that I am not destined to have 3 cats. When you add in fosters, my comfortable limit is 5, but I have spent a large amount of last year and this year at 6, which is slightly above!! Have had 7 for a couple of nights occasionally, but wouldn't like to do it for more than that.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I voted 4-7, although i agree with needing a 'it depends' option. I only have two right now, but only because I'm a renter, in a large apartment complex (prefer those to smaller rentals because if something needs fixing it gets done MUCH faster), and they only allow two pets. Most only allow two. There was one that said they allowed 4, but i never heard back from the manager dude... idiot. I'd have paid to live there... man oh man... kinda like an artists colony building...

That all said... someday when I own my own place, it'll have tons of space and hopefully a room all JUST for the felines... so I definitely want more! I think 4-7 is a good number... keeps them all social and busy... though I do think they'll be banned from my bedroom at that point... either that or I'll have to have a CA King bed... just for me and the cats...

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I voted 12 plus - but only because there wasn't an option that said "no more than you are able to afford to care for."

If I had 12, I'd have to move out into a tent in the back yard, LOL...

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I said 8-11, but I think it all depends on space. I can't imagine ever having 8 cats, but I could certainly imagine 4 or 5 cats once we get a decent size house.

I think one per family member is a good number.

And we all know that there's a formula to the amount of cats we NEED. The amount of cats we need = n+1, where n is the number of cats you currently have

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3 - we have 2 now (Harley 1, Davidson 5 months) and when we move into our own home someday - we will be adding another to our fur family (plus a dog!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't think to add one that said it depends on the circumstances.SORRY!!!
Physically,finacially we are at our limit.But, if for some reason there is a special kitty that needs us,then we would add also.
I just can't imagine taking care of 6 cats.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
just as long as you can afford to care for your cats, I don't see any problem with how many cats you have. same that goes for dogs. I have 2 and that's my personal limit..it's not like I don't like cats, I DO love them but I have my hands full with 4 dogs and 2 cats anyways.
besides Miagi and Tiger are the only cats I have ever had in my whole life and I adore them very much and wouldn't give them up for the world.
they are so very special to me and I am blessed to have them in my life.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 5 cats and would love to add another one in the near future. As soon as I help Tino and Ducky work out their new found hate for each other
I wouldnt mind having 10 cats total. But my cats are Mother and her children and Ive always been concerned how they would accept a "new" member to the family, especially since Easy doesnt seem to like cats, period. But we will see how it goes, if Im able to add another one successfully, I will just go from there.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont think I better follow the 'one per family member' rule, as I live on my own!!

vampirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thats a difficult one !

For me it would it depend entirely on the character of the cats in occupation at the time, the size of the house and bank balance

For us our 4 is the maximum, purely because i dont believe that my current tenants would be happy with any additions despite what i may be able to cope with both financially and living space.

We have had Tigger for 3 weeks now and things are going ok but any more would be pushing Jaz, Jake and Izzy tolerance levels to the limit.