Feral kittens caught in trap?

syrisisabully

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm worried about the traps I have...they are very nice, clean, brand-new-looking humane traps from the AC but since I'm trying to catch a couple moms and their babies, I'm worried maybe mom will go into trap, kitten behind her and the baby will get caught when the door shuts. Has anyone ever had this happen? Am I just being overly paranoid again? Thanks alot, I start setting the traps tomorrow.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SyrisIsABully

I'm worried about the traps I have...they are very nice, clean, brand-new-looking humane traps from the AC but since I'm trying to catch a couple moms and their babies, I'm worried maybe mom will go into trap, kitten behind her and the baby will get caught when the door shuts. Has anyone ever had this happen? Am I just being overly paranoid again? Thanks alot, I start setting the traps tomorrow.
I can only speak from experience at the clinic I volunteer at...we have had traps come in with either multiple kittens or even a mom and kitten. So far, I haven't see a situation where a kitten's paw or tail was caught in the trap. But....that is one of the reasons you should not leave the traps unattended. The moment you hear one close, go and remove it from the other traps....this gives you the opportunity to make sure that whoever you trapped is ok and it also doesn't spook the other cats into not going into the rest of the traps.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

syrisisabully

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply! Well I got one momma, I caught one of her kittens by hand about 2 or 3 days ago. She did have 2 more kittens, but we have only seen the one today(black) and I guess for a couple days he(gray) has been missing. The lady who's backyard he lives in says we will be able to catch the black kitten before 2 days for sure, if not momma will be released. I feel so bad leaving him out there all alone, but the longer hes alone the better chance he'll go for the traps. So mommas hiding in my closet, scared out of her mind worried aboout the baby I'm sure. She is not too bad though. I can't wait for her to get over her fear of me. I shouldn't have let her have the opportuinity to get in my closet, but its too late now. I really hope she remembers to use the litter box!! I did see her laying in it, but I know I might be SOL there. I did have a big dog crate set up for her, but she squeezed out somehow. I'm sure she feels better hiding though. Oh well, one day at a time. The lady who has been feeding her has been calling her Koda.
Once I catch this kitten, I can start trying for the other litter. I REALLY hope we catch him tonight!!!!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thanks for the reply! Well I got one momma, I caught one of her kittens by hand about 2 or 3 days ago. She did have 2 more kittens, but we have only seen the one today(black) and I guess for a couple days he(gray) has been missing. The lady who's backyard he lives in says we will be able to catch the black kitten before 2 days for sure, if not momma will be released. I feel so bad leaving him out there all alone, but the longer hes alone the better chance he'll go for the traps. So mommas hiding in my closet, scared out of her mind worried aboout the baby I'm sure. She is not too bad though. I can't wait for her to get over her fear of me. I shouldn't have let her have the opportuinity to get in my closet, but its too late now. I really hope she remembers to use the litter box!! I did see her laying in it, but I know I might be SOL there. I did have a big dog crate set up for her, but she squeezed out somehow. I'm sure she feels better hiding though. Oh well, one day at a time. The lady who has been feeding her has been calling her Koda.
Once I catch this kitten, I can start trying for the other litter. I REALLY hope we catch him tonight!!!!
Do NOT return mom outside again until she has been spayed. She can still provide milk for her kittens but will not be able to become pregnant again. Far too often, cats are released with the intention of trapping them again to be spayed at a later date...but either the cat disappears or becomes trap savvy. While you have this girl in your care, you need to take her to the vet to be spayed.

Katie

syrisisabully

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh of course she will be spayed, I meant if we could I would like to tame her but if we can't get the kitten we're going to have to let her go after the vets (and a little recovery time of course). She's alright with people, a little bit anyways, so I think she could become a housecat. If I let her loose, I really don't think she'd be falling for a trap again anytime soon so the odds of catching her to tame her would be slim to none. I really think we will catch the kitten though, so thats what I'm hoping for.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Oh of course she will be spayed, I meant if we could I would like to tame her but if we can't get the kitten we're going to have to let her go after the vets (and a little recovery time of course). She's alright with people, a little bit anyways, so I think she could become a housecat. If I let her loose, I really don't think she'd be falling for a trap again anytime soon so the odds of catching her to tame her would be slim to none. I really think we will catch the kitten though, so thats what I'm hoping for.
Ok...good...yes, some cats are actually "happier" outdoors and as long as she has someone willing to feed her and provide her with shelter, she should be ok.

Good Luck trapping.

Katie

syrisisabully

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Still no luck with that kitten...we will try again tomorrow.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending {{{{prayers and vibes}}}} that you catch the kitten soon! I'm reading your posts with interest, as I may be trying to trap an abandoned kitten soon. Bless you in your rescue work!