An alternative to fleece??

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
Well, the cold weather is here and since I have to pay for my own heat, that means that my apartment will be fairly cold for the next few months.

When I'm sitting on the couch or at my desk and it's cold, I really like to wrap myself in a nice blanket. Last year I was using a fleece blanket but I'd really like to find something else. That blanket was constantly covered in cat fur!

Finding a blanket that matches the cats isn't an option either (with one black and white cat and one brown one, that'd be hard to do...)

So what could I use instead of fleece? Preferably something soft and warm.

I'm also thinking of replacing my house coat, which is also made of fleece.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmmmmmm what about a sleeping bag?DH has one that is an Artic sleeping bag.....I think is what it is called.It's for temps around 30'.It is SOFT and soooooooooo warm.
I make our quilts,so I can use whatever I want to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

Hmmmmmmmm what about a sleeping bag?DH has one that is an Artic sleeping bag.....I think is what it is called.It's for temps around 30'.It is SOFT and soooooooooo warm.
I make our quilts,so I can use whatever I want to.
Oh, that's a good idea!! Maybe I can find a cute kid's sleeping bag and remove the zippers

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Wool collects hair like the fleece. I'm thinking down blankets with duvet covers that you can wash frequently.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have wool throws for our leather furniture (leather's cold in the winter!). They don't collect hair like fleece because they don't have anywhere near the static like man-made fibers do. Our kitties like the wool throws, too, but you can hardly tell.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was going to suggest a sleeping bag as well. With the nylon outer shell it won't hold the cat hairs. When our computer was in the basement I often wrapped myself in a sleeping bag to get cozy.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Target has some really cute and warm "chinelle" throws that I LOVE for very reasonable prices!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can afford it or get someone to buy it for you...a lap sized pashmina - pashminas come in various sizes and one of the largest is around 2x2 meters - lovely, soft and warm and you can buy them in various colors!

If not, there are some synthetic pashmina shawls and throws floating around - hey, if we can get both types of pashminas in hot and humid Malaysia, I'm sure you can find them over there!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just looked up pashminas, and oh boy would I love one of those!!!
Ahem, but I believe money is an object here, so I'd second the suggestion of a down throw, or the sleeping bag idea sounds better because of the nylon shell.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

I just looked up pashminas, and oh boy would I love one of those!!!
Ahem, but I believe money is an object here, so I'd second the suggestion of a down throw, or the sleeping bag idea sounds better because of the nylon shell.
Forgive me
, but since all the good suggestions had been put up already I thought I'd just put this one in!
That's why I said "get someone to buy it for you!"

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use flannel jammies and flannel sheets, with my fleece blankets tucked 'tween the covers. I also have a flannel duvet cover I put over my regular comforter - helps me stay toasty warm, and if cat hair gets on anything it's easily washable.

Oh, and they are ALL leopard print.
I find that pattern pretty much matches the fur on both cats.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We call fleece "cat mats" in our house!! I have a couple of the down throws from target however if you are tall they and are laying on the sofa they don't provide really good coverage. (I got at target) Also at target there was a fake syede throw my woolrich that is heavier and works well with repelling cat hair too, Get yourself a pair of down booties for your feet (Lands end?) they keep your feet nice and toasty which important if the heat is turned down.
At night perhaps an electric blanket too?? (I have a wool quilt which is perfect in the winter)

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You know I was just thinking, if you're cold, why not encourage the kitties to lie on you? They give off heat and are so nice and snuggly!
Make 'em work a little for the kibble!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

You know I was just thinking, if you're cold, why not encourage the kitties to lie on you? They give off heat and are so nice and snuggly!
Make 'em work a little for the kibble!

But they're cats!! They're not gonna jump on my lap unless I'm getting ready to get up or I'm trying to eat or write!