Vibes for my daughter...

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure where this thread belongs even...

I am at home, taking a shower and picking up a few things, but felt I needed to post this. My 20 month old daughter is in the hospital tonight following a vicious attack by our 4 month old kitten, Shannon.

While she napped today, our usually sweet boy lept into her crib and ravaged her. She has severe bites and scratches throuhout her torso and face. We will be seeing the plastic surgeon in the morning regarding the scars to her face and rebuilding her left nipple.

Obviously, (and this might not be a popular opinion amongst those that frequent this board) Shannon WILL need to find a good home. Currently, he has been turned over to animal control, but we have offered to try to help rehome him.

I'm really at a loss for anything else to say...

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your family. This must have been terrifying for everyone involved. Prayers that your daughter is completely healed. I understand your position that Shannon be rehomed. May the angels look over you all.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry to hear about this!! I don't know what to say except that I'm here if you need to talk, you can just pm me. I know that Childrens in LR is quite a drive for you but they have some amazing doctors and plastic surgeons, and money is no issue there. Please let me know if you need anything. I'll keep you and your daughter in my thoughts and prayers.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG!!! How horrible for your daughter and you.That poor baby!!!

As far as the kit goes,I do NOT for one minute blame you.Your #1 priority has to be for your child.I'm so sorry!!
I am praying that God heals the wounds and she doesn't have to deal with life long scars on her HEART or mind!!!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG I'm so sorry, lots of healing vibes headed your and your daughter's way

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How very awful! I completely understand your need to rehome the kitten. You would never know for sure that there wouldn't be another incident or how to anticipate it, and your daughter has to come first. You'll find a home for him, and he'll be fine. I hope your daughter will be, too, and you will all be in my thoughts and prayers.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of healing vibes coming from over here - I feel for your daughter - Stevie bit me 2 weeks ago (different thread) and the small scratches have healed but the deep bites are still a bit red and painful. I gad to go to see an orthopedic surgeon for my bites...

I hope your baby feels better soon!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

OMG!!! How horrible for your daughter and you.That poor baby!!!

As far as the kit goes,I do NOT for one minute blame you.Your #1 priority has to be for your child.I'm so sorry!!
I am praying that God heals the wounds and she doesn't have to deal with life long scars on her HEART or mind!!!
That was very wonderfully spoken. I couldn't agree more. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family through this very tough time. While I am an avid cat lover- I too have seen first hand what a kitty is capable of....When my niece Taylor was a toddler...she was sitting down at the table eating dinner with us. Out of no where, my sister's maine coon Alfie hopped up by her and attacked her horribly....she was doing nothing to provoke or excite him. He attacked for no reason (and he definitely wasn't playing.). Taylor had to be rushed to the hospital immediately after that....she had very deep scratch and bite wounds all over her body- mostly on her face. Thankfully though, the doctor and plastic surgeon were very diligent and excellent doctors- they took wonderful care of her- as i'm sure your daughters doctors will. Today, you can bairly see any of Taylors scars unless you look really really close. This is one of the only times that I am not against declawing.....if it is a choice between that or euthanizia (at the time, it was, the shelter was going to euthanize him if they took him back...and they could not have him attacking their children...so they had him declawed. (This was before softpaws were around) I am in no way advocating declawing...but for them, it was that or euthanizia...so they did that, and never had any more problems such as that with him again. He lived to be around 18 with them.(he was around 8 when they adopted him). I just want to let you know that my heart goes out to you right now. I understand and can relate to what you're going through. I know it's a difficult decision to rehome your kitten- but I honestly think it's the best one right now. I wouldn't risk another repeat of that happening to your daughter again. My thoughts and prayers are with you that the shelter is able to rehome the kitten into a new home successfully. And my heart goes out to your daughter right now. I am praying that God will guide the hands of her plastic surgeons and doctors and she will be safe and sound through everything. I am sure she is in excellent hands. My heart goes out to you right now.
I just want you to know that you have the love and support of numerous TCS people with you right now through this difficult time. If you need someone to talk to- i'm only a pm away. Please keep us posted on your prescious daughter's condition.

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so so sorry this happened. I hope that your daughter has a full and speedy recovery. I completely understand about rehoming Shannon, and you're a jem to be willing to help with the process, considering all you have on your plate now. Please don't blame yourself in any way, as mothers sometimes do when their children are hurt. This was an accident and there was no way you could have known. You're doing the best thing for your sweet baby by getting her the care she needs and taking steps to make her home safe. Lots of hugs your way! PM if you need to talk, I know you must be going out of your mind having your baby girl out of your sight right now!

babygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no! I'm so sorry for your daughter. I'm sending her lots of healing vibes and a hug for you.
I hope she feels better soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I really appreciate everybody here. I'm finding it hard to get away from the computer. There is so much anger in my family right now, but I know I'll always have compassionate people here.

Maddensmom... They have discussed Children's for the future (mostly for the breast reconstruction as she develops). If I thought it would help now, we'd be on the transport ambluance headed for Little Rock.

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AnnasMom

I really appreciate everybody here. I'm finding it hard to get away from the computer. There is so much anger in my family right now, but I know I'll always have compassionate people here.

Maddensmom... They have discussed Children's for the future (mostly for the breast reconstruction as she develops). If I thought it would help now, we'd be on the transport ambluance headed for Little Rock.
I'm sure your family is reacting with anger because they love you and your little girl. It's a natural reaction to want to defend and when you can't, it's hard to know what to do with all that emotion. We're all happy to be here to offer support and an ear to vent to. Family can be a blessing but also hard to deal with, especially when emotions run high. Lots of love to you and yours. We will all be praying and sending healing vibes to your little girl, but also to you, because I know this day must have been such an exhausting ordeal.

P.S., Many of us find it hard to get away from the computer every day, but you have a free pass today if you need anything.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The anger from your family, I hope is because of what he did to your child and NOT for you placing your kit in the shelter!!!
God gave us children to protect.They are only a loan from him and we have to do ALL that we can for them.
I will say a prayer tonight for your baby.With her being so young,she shouldn't have too many problems in the Future with cats/kittens.
It took a couple of years for my son to get over his fear of dogs.He was 7 at the time he was bite by our Cocker.
PLEASE keep us posted.HUGS!!!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How terrifying for you and your family. No one could have seen this coming. I don't see how you have any choice but to rehome the kitty. Your daughter is so young that I'm sure the scars will disappear completely. I'm very sorry to hear what happened, and you and your daughter are in my thoughts.

SwampWitch

footersownsme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I pray you find the bestest surgeon around. I know how important it is, my schipperkee (god rest his soul) ripped my upper lip wide open. Thank god my parents found an awesome plastic surgeon. I'm sorry this all happened and I wish you the best of luck finding a new home for Shannon.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I certainly can't add anything that the others have not already said. I'm sorry you have to have this happen in your family. Prayers and healing vibes for your little daughter and hugs to you.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to say how sorry I am, and that I wish your daughter a speedy recovery, and for the kitten to find a good new home.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh what an awful situation! I think you've done right. We love our cats so much; they are part of our families. It's hard for some people to understand that and it's hard when we have to make the kind of decision you've faced today.

I will be praying for your daughter, you and your husband. And your family and Shannon during this time.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my, how horrific for your little daughter. I am sending many prayers your way, and just hoping she will be okay with minimal damage...Poor little thing..This is just awful.