Help me name my foal

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Shetlands have arrived, in the pouring rain, poor things, but here are some pix:

The mare is called Maisie. Her filly foal is four months old and has no name yet. Because of the French habit of allotting a letter to a year, her name must begin with 'T'. Any ideas, folks?

They are so small and sweet, and a bit nervous. I left Maisie's headcollar on so I could catch her later to worm her, but I thought I would let them have a few hours to get used to a new field. They wouldn't come near me of course, until I sat down in the field for half an hour ignoring them, with a bowl of carrot and apple slices. Then slowly Maisie came, the foal behind her, and in another twenty minutes she was eating out of my hand. The foal would only take bits from the ground so far - she is much more nervous. Funny how what works for feral cats also works for (almost) feral ponies! So I have my work cut out. The vet and farrier will come next week, when they are a little acclimatised. FYI, I got them from a BYB who is closing down - these poor ponies have been left in a field (with others) for three years with no vet or other care, and left to breed indiscriminately. The little stallion, who is a sweetie, is still there, but I have said it would be too much for me to take him on too. They have no papers or anything and I will keep them as pets and to graze the field, which I have carefully divided so they don't gorge themselves, as the grass is still very long and surprisingly lush.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about Takara it apparently means precious.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aww, are they ever cute! Looks like they're in paradise now with all that long, lush green grass.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, very dangerous if they get too much of it. They are penned in a small part of the big field to stop them eating too much.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely adorable.
I think shetlands look especially cute in their winter coats.
When is the mare due to foal again?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like Tinkerbell - it suits a Shetland's character. That can go on the shortlist. With a mother called Maisie and no antecedents she can speak of, I do not think she can have too high-faluting a name!
I don't know when she is due to foal - sometime in spring. I am hoping the vet can tell me more when he sees her. The previous owner did not know when she had been covered!

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your new arrivals are beautiful, Jenny, congratulations! You must be so excited that your ponies are finally home!

A fitting T name. I'm giving this a lot of thought. It has to be very pretty for this special girl, distinguished and matching her personality.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about...Tiny?!? Or you could add Tiny to any other name, and it would start with a T, but have another second name.

She is cute. So is her Momma. Won't life be different for them now that they will be truly loved?!?