Innova or EVO?

delilah_blue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed my cats regular Innova canned and dry. I'm interested to hear your opinions on the pros or cons of EVO as compared with the regular Innova formula. I'm not totally confident about my own knowledge when I look at the labels. From what I gather, high protein is good, carbs are bad, cranberries are good, garlic is bad (maybe depending on amount), high ash is bad... correct? Am I missing anything important? TIA for your wisdom!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Evo is a great concept food and i love the wet formula... The dry is often too rich and can cause issues in some kittys... Unfortunately neither of my kittys can handle evo but they love california natural

Innova is going thru formula changes so right now I am hestitant about it

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you clarify "issues", Sharky? I haven't heard anything negative about the Evo before and I have a foster cat and her kittens (7 wks) on both wet and dry Evo. I thought it was the very best food I could give them (besides raw), but I had no idea there may be problems with it (even potentially).

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Switching from a 'regular' dry formula to EVO is a bit like switching them from dry to raw. EVO is a very 'different' food, many cats have problems adjusting to the high protein levels and richness of food and it can cause tummy upsets etc.

Also, you must make sure your kitty gets enough water when drinking EVO as it is very rich and not enough water can lead to problems (which should be fine if you carry on feeding wet also). It also has a very high ash content.

It is also quite high in cals per cup so some cats have a hard time switching to the amount of food they will get and will overeat because they are used to getting 1 cup compared to 1/2 cup.

Saying that, all cat foods cause 'issues' and IMO EVO is one of the better foods, if you can afford it and your cats take to it. It was the first food we found that all of our cats will eat and do well on, which is saying something when you have a 30+lb cat on a diet and another with a sensitive tummy

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started feeding my cats Evo wet in the last couple of weeks. They love it! I started because I want Jake to stay at a healthy weight and he's had issues growing his fur back since he was sick. He's doing very well on it. And I dare say, I think his fur is growing a bit. I have been getting it at a store called the Dog's Meow. I buy a case of the large 13.2 oz cans for $18.23 and once you buy 10 cases, the 11th is free.

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good, People need to be aware of a cats true carnivorous nature. It's as bad for them to eat a high grain diet as it is for us to eat their diet of mostly meat. Humans are omnavores plants/meat and by studies of our teeth are actually are geared towards eating, degesting and utilizeing more vegan sorses then meat. The reason why meat tastes so good to humans is because its high in fat, long ago our homid anscestors never knew where their next meal was coming from so it paid to eat fatty meat then. Wisdom teeth are actually molars, that were once used by our homid anscters to grind roots and tubers, when they turned to scavenging meat they started to become useless. Over thousends of years their brains grew larger while the jaws grew smaller and that's why most of us have to get our wisdom teeth removed.

commericals are useally overrated anyway the importent thing to remember is the companies like all of us here have a limited budget to spend. They can either chose to do so for the animals best instrest or their own and just use the money for advertizing. In most cases its the advertizinghttp://www.thecatsite.com/forums/images/smilies/angryfire.gif

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

I have 2 cats over 10 and we feed EVO with our vet's complete blessing
Yes some vets do think it is fine for EVO to be feed to older animals... I would hesitate if only feeding dry but my vet say s the wet EVO is fine evan for some older kittys with issues ....

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scully has issues and is around 12 and has done better on EVO than any other food we tried

Bumper who was on 'sensitive tummy' type foods also does well on it, so we made the decision to feed all 4 of them EVO even though Magnum is getting older rather than risk Scully and Bumps eating the food meant for the other two.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

I forgot to mention earlier that all the puking on the rugs has stopped since I switched the kitties to Evo.
No puking is a wonderful thing

jiazzi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been in the process of switching from Royal Canin dry to EVO dry. I think my kitty, Tyler, has been on Royal Canin for all of his 3.5 years because he is so sensitive to any food switch! I've gradually added EVO dry little by little but he's puked it up for various reasons. One time, he puked up a hairball with the food. Two other times, I tried to feed him 100% EVO dry without his previous food b/c I thought he'd transitioned by then. Then I started noticing patches of hair missing SO...

Now he's eating Natural Balance Venison & Peas wet. He loves it and hasn't puked but it's only been 2 weeks or so. It doesn't smell when he eliminates unlike when he was on Royal Canin (real STINK BOMB). Natural Balance also has the Venison & Peas dry formula which I really want to try b/c I don't have all the wonderful resources to feed him premium wet food 24/7.

From what I've been reading, cats react so differently to various foods so good luck!