Feral distemper shot question

fishtreatsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, as an update to my captured feral. He went to the vet today, got neutered, de-flea/ear mite, rabies, distemper shot. Now the animal tech told me I have to bring him back in 2 week for a second distemper shot. I don't think I will be able to do this! I will try to socialize him, but it may take months! She told me if he doesn't get the booster shot its like not getting the vaccination at all!

"Harley" I found out is only 1-2 years old, and FIV/FeL neg.
Hubby is mad I spent so much money and effort on a stray...while some neighbors are talking that I may be up for sainthood...LOL (its well known I have a fondness for animals in this neighborhood) In any event, I sure hope I can tame him, even if we don't/can't keep him -so that he may be adoptable.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by FishTreatsMom

Ok, as an update to my captured feral. He went to the vet today, got neutered, de-flea/ear mite, rabies, distemper shot. Now the animal tech told me I have to bring him back in 2 week for a second distemper shot. I don't think I will be able to do this! I will try to socialize him, but it may take months! She told me if he doesn't get the booster shot its like not getting the vaccination at all!

"Harley" I found out is only 1-2 years old, and FIV/FeL neg.
Hubby is mad I spent so much money and effort on a stray...while some neighbors are talking that I may be up for sainthood...LOL (its well known I have a fondness for animals in this neighborhood) In any event, I sure hope I can tame him, even if we don't/can't keep him -so that he may be adoptable.
At 1 year of age...he should have received a 3 in 1 vaccination. I would certainly point out that you cannot bring him back in 2 weeks because he is a feral (btw...did he get "eartipped"??...if you catch and plan to fix any additional strays...eartips are the best visual way to ensure that no one else traps him and trys to take him to be neutered only to realize he is already neutered).

I honestly would return him back outdoors....although getting a distemper shot is useful, you have to balance that against his wellbeing.

Also, you may want to provide this information to your vet for the future:

http://www.alleycat.org/resources_vets.html

Katie

BTW...THANK YOU for caring for this cat!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fishtreatsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's the problem...I could return him back outdoors...but that would mean that I would be going twice a day to feed him under the bushes by my condo where he pitched tent. We are not supposed to be feeding any animals on the condo premises. He can't sit there in 0 degree weather in January. It is also not a very safe area, trains nearby, traffic. There was a lot nearby he hung around in and now I hear that will be the sight of a new building next year. There are other strays in the area but they are hiding someplace in the daytime, maybe garages?, not sure where, but the auto shop owner near me told me some horror stories of animals crawling under the engines in cold weather. I wish I could rescue all the ferals out here but I can't. I can't even put up an outside shelter. It's safe and warm here and I have Mozart playing for him, but I know he's not thrilled so far. He's hiding in the closet. If things don't work out I'll see if I can get him into a designated feral cat colony.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by FishTreatsMom

Here's the problem...I could return him back outdoors...but that would mean that I would be going twice a day to feed him under the bushes by my condo where he pitched tent. We are not supposed to be feeding any animals on the condo premises. He can't sit there in 0 degree weather in January. It is also not a very safe area, trains nearby, traffic. There was a lot nearby he hung around in and now I hear that will be the sight of a new building next year. There are other strays in the area but they are hiding someplace in the daytime, maybe garages?, not sure where, but the auto shop owner near me told me some horror stories of animals crawling under the engines in cold weather. I wish I could rescue all the ferals out here but I can't. I can't even put up an outside shelter. It's safe and warm here and I have Mozart playing for him, but I know he's not thrilled so far. He's hiding in the closet. If things don't work out I'll see if I can get him into a designated feral cat colony.
Relocating feral cats is not recommended and it takes time. As much as we do not like the idea of these cats living in less then ideal situations....these cats have adapted to their territories..they know where to hide....who will provide food etc.

Below are some links to relocation information:

http://www.alleycat.org/resources_care.html#7

Katie