My poor sister just got fired

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She worked for Child Protection Services and was on maternity leave and on disability (her baby is due Novemeber 7th). The sent her a "You're Fired!" letter today. My dad said she should get a lawyer cuz I really don't they can do that. I don't know. They didn't really give a reason so that makes it sound like they fired her for having a baby maybe. Ridiculous I think. I can't believe it. Of all times to get fired, right before her baby is due and right before Christmas.

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On maternity leave and getting fired? I know that the rights of the mother, when speaking of employment, are well protected in Ontario - but not sure what the regulations are in the U.S.

I would get an appointment with a lawyer. Usually the first consultation is free so it couldn't hurt to inquire.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

She worked for Child Protection Services and was on maternity leave and on disability (her baby is due Novemeber 7th). The sent her a "You're Fired!" letter today. My dad said she should get a lawyer cuz I really don't they can do that. I don't know. They didn't really give a reason so that makes it sound like they fired her for having a baby maybe. Ridiculous I think. I can't believe it. Of all times to get fired, right before her baby is due and right before Christmas.
What sucks about this is that Ohio is an "at will" state, so she may have a hard time sueing. Trust me, I've looked into suing my former employer, and found it almost impossible because of Ohio's employment laws.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

What sucks about this is that Ohio is an "at will" state, so she may have a hard time sueing. Trust me, I've looked into suing my former employer, and found it almost impossible because of Ohio's employment laws.
Actually she lives in Glendale, Arizona.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, that sounds totally indefensible. I agree with seeing a lawyer straight away.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending vibes your sisters way..that is pretty bad to fire someone for no reason..especially when they are prego and they probably need the money more than ever!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is terrible! Please tell your sister that she has lots of people on TCS praying for her and sending her lots of vibes
./ Her employeers out to be poped a good one for doing that to her during her pregnancy!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could she be covered under the family leave act-were the employer has to hold a job open??? Man that just doesn't sound like an employer could to that.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Won't hurt to get a consult. Sorry to hear this, lousy bit of stress

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Actually she lives in Glendale, Arizona.
Arizona is a "right to work" state and one can be fired, for ANY reason, as long as it doesn't violate Federal labor laws.