Vets in Chicago

euterpe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know this is a long shot... especially as I want to find a vets by tomorrow morning and i'm not sure how many people here are from the Chicagoland area.

But i'll give it a shot...

Libby has been sneezing a little and has whiteish gunk coming from her eyes - not a ton, i've noticed 3 small amounts in each eye since yesterday morning, the same kind of stuff people get in their eyes after sleeping. So, I wanted to take her to the vets, obviously.

I got my husband to call a few minutes ago and fantastic news... our vets has closed down!
They didn't inform us of this though, they just have an answer message saying they've closed and will send out pet records in the mail.

I'm new to this area (Moved here from England 5 months ago) and my husband is at work right now, so I really need some help in finding a new vets :| We're a few blocks from Midway Airport, to give a better idea as I know Chicago is huge!

I'd found a site for VCA animal hospitals but after doing a search on here I found one thread where someone did not reccomend them at all.

Sorry for rambling and as I said, I know this is a long shot but, it's worth a try!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmmm....I live on the North Side...in Lincoln Park, to be more exact.

I use Dr. Amir Shanan at Compassionate Vet Care, which is at 620 W. Webster...wuite a ways from Midway.

I've also used Dr. Linda Ewald at Chicago Cat Hospital 2851 W Irving Park...still really far north of you, but farther west....

Sorry I don't know of anyone on the west or south sides!

ETA: I would also absolutely NOT go to a VCA....we recently had a cat come to the shelter in whose mouth was in AWFUL shape who matched a Lost Cat ad. We figured that the cat was being neglected despite being owned and so we had one of our humane investigators do some investigating. Apparently VCA told these people they didn't need to get a dental, despite SEVERE and obvious stomatitis. He had a tooth hanging out of his mouth! So, no, don't go to VCA.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

euterpe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for letting me know about VCA. That's several bad things i've heard about them now so I don't think i'll be trying them.

I really wish we lived on the North Side.. if I did i'd take her to the Chicago Cat Hospital. Of course if it was down to me i'd drive all that way to see a good vet, but I don't think my husband will be up for that. Plus it's not very handy if we needed to get her to her vet quickly.

I think anywhere would beat where we ended up taking her though :| It smelled in the small reception and when he took her temperature, he took the themometer out of a dish with needles in that looked like they'd been used. I wanted to run out of there.

I hope we have better luck with the next vet we pick!

Thanks for replying

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I live in northwest subburbs and I moved here a couple months ago. I found a GREAT vet. The people are nice, it's very clean, and very inexpensive. Plus, the first visit free! The name of the vet is Glenn Ellyn Animal Hospital Ltd.

I found them when I was trying to find a vet to neuter my cat. The accepted the Spay America coupons so I got the neutering done really cheap.

Anyways, I think it's about 30-45 minutes from the Midway airport but it's really worth it if you ever want to take your cat there. My cats had them same symptoms as yours and I took 2 of them there a couple weeks ago and the vet visit, plus the meds, only cost $10! How great is that! It's worth the trip to save the money!

Here is the address if you ever want to go:

21 S. Park
Glen Ellyn

Alos, they have a webstite: www.geahvet.com. Good luck!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Euterpe

Thank you for letting me know about VCA. That's several bad things i've heard about them now so I don't think i'll be trying them.

I really wish we lived on the North Side.. if I did i'd take her to the Chicago Cat Hospital. Of course if it was down to me i'd drive all that way to see a good vet, but I don't think my husband will be up for that. Plus it's not very handy if we needed to get her to her vet quickly.

I think anywhere would beat where we ended up taking her though :| It smelled in the small reception and when he took her temperature, he took the themometer out of a dish with needles in that looked like they'd been used. I wanted to run out of there.

I hope we have better luck with the next vet we pick!

Thanks for replying
Just bear in mind that the only Veterinary ER in the city (at least that CASA puts on their list) is at 3123 N Clybourn, so you'd be coming way up north for an ER visit anyway
Just so you're not scrambling for it, if you ever need their # it's 773-281-7110

euterpe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks again for your replies. It's so helpful when i've not been here very long and have no idea of the area and what's around.

I'll definitely make note of that number. I have the number of an ER vet but I know nothing about them so it's nice to have a place reccommended.

I'll have to talk to my husband about Glenn Ellyn. It seems like a long way away but we used to drive about that to get to our old vet anyway. As I said in my mind nothing's too far to travel if it means i'm gonna get her to somewhere clean and people who really help. I can't believe how cheap it was either! For just Libby we paid $45 for her visit and the meds.

Thanks again

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know! The prices are great! I'm sure it's alot more expensive in the chicago area just because, well, it's chicago! LOL! If you want good prices on anything you will have to travel out of the city. Also, I'm not sure how the gas is in Chicago, but here in the northwest subburbs it's only $2.14 so while your down here you should think on filling up your tank!

Anyways, I don't know how much a regular visit costs at this vet because I have only been here about 2 months and haven't had to take any of them back yet. I'm pretty positive that it's no more than $30 tops though. I took my male cat here to get him spayed and when I took my 2 other cats to the vet a week later I thought they were going to charge me for the visit because I had already taken my other cat there and was no longer "new", but I was wrong, EACH ANIMAL'S first visit is free. Soooo....if you had 10 animals and you took them all at seperate times, each time would be free, you just pay for meds! It's awesome. And, like I said earlier, they accept coupons from Spay America which I thought was really nice since they are helping to encourage people to spay and neuter their animals by lowering the costs. The coupon lowered the cost of the surgery to $35+meds and anything extra I wanted done. I ended up getting my cat his vaccines, a checkup, and some other test done and everything together only cost $100! Wow! I know I'm a little over excited about this vet, but...WOW...I never knew that vets like Glenn Ellyn existed! Okay...I think I have it out of my system now, wait...WOW!...okay, now I have it all out!LOL!

Good luck and I hope you find a great vet!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm even farther north than Allie, and I take my girls to Uptown Animal Hospital. I think my vet, Dr. Whisler, is great!
. They're way north, though

I agree...do not go to VCA, I've not heard good things about them.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a really awesome vet, but she's probably way too far from you... Dr. Lisewski is currently working out of Touhy Animal Hospital which is in Park Ridge. (2311 West Touhy Ave. Park Ridge, IL Phone: 847-698-3123)

There are other ER vets in the Chicago area, but they are usually not mentioned because they are in the suburbs not actually inside the city... The one I go to is Animal 911 (3735 W. Dempster Skokie, IL 847-673-9110) there may be others closer to you in the suburbs...

I also would not recommend VCA. I left my vet who my family had been going to for over 25 years when they became a VCA-owned hospital, due to lots of problems... Actually the vet I use used to work at that practice and she left when they went VCA as well...

tangerine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had great experiences with Burnham Park Animal Hospital, which is on 11th and State Street Downtown 312-663-9200. Also, there is a vet on pulaski around 59th or so... right around where you live... but i am not sure of the number.
I think it's called pulaski animal hospital

euterpe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We've narrowed it down to two vets now and Pulaski Animal Hospital is one of them
Seeing as I have no idea of the area it's in or what they'll be like i'm just going on the fact that it's AAHA accredited.

The other is a place called Carlson Animal Hospital. It's in Oak Park where our old vet was and is also AAHA accredited. It looks really nice from their site.

Whatever we chose i'm sure it can't be as bad as where we went at the weekend - and I just hope that if they've got the AAHA stamp of approval then they must be good!