Just a note of thanks and an update.....

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the last month I was off the boards to get some things in my life sorted out. As many of you know, I had to send Phoenix back to the shelter because Nakita's health was declining and they were not getting along. For those who aren't familiar, here's the original thread: Rehoming Phoenix

I just wanted to thank everyone for the support of my decision and for the PM's and thoughts you sent my way. They were so appreciated and I really needed the support after making such a difficult decision. I am happy to report that Phoenix found a home this past week. I will so miss that little calico.

I have taken Nakita to the vets a couple of times over the last month. We currently have her on short-term Prednisone to calm down her system and a restricted diet. The problem has been that she refuses to eat the diet after a couple of days so I'm hoping this new food will agree with her. Once we wean her off the Prednisone I hope the food will maintain her stability otherwise we'll have to look at other options. She weighed in at 4.8 pounds at the vets and the receptionist couldn't believe that Nakita is 4 years old!
Hopefully she will gain a little bit of weight since Prednisone has a side effect of increased eating. I'll be happy for her to gain some weight!

Also, I will be starting a new job on Oct. 30th! It's been a struggle over the last few months but it looks like things are finally changing. Plus, the company is just up the street so I can walk to work. No more long commutes or subway delays!!
After my probationary period is over we can continue with our renovations - which will include tearing down walls on the first floor, expanding the bathroom and moving and building a new kitchen.

Just wanted to give an update and a big thank you to all who sent their thoughts, prayers and good wishes my way.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Kass,...
...thinking of you about your hard decision to send back to Phoenix!

At least he have a new home now!!!

Prayers and lots and lots of good thinkings to Nakita´s good Health!!

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

I'm so pleased to hear that things are looking up and that Phoenix found a new forever home!

I hope Nakita is back to her usual self soon too!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kass I'm so happy to see you and especially to hear that things are turning around for you.
I've been worried about you!
I'm so happy to hear that Phoenix has been rehomed, I know that had to be weighing on your mind a lot. And a new job is always exciting as it holds unlimited possibilities!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad things are starting to look up for you and phoenix found a new home. I hope things continue to improve with little Nakita. Also, congradulations on the new job! That is excellent news!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad to hear that things are turning around, Kass, and that the little one has a new home. I hope with this stress out of Nakita's life, and new approaches to her health concerns, she'll settle soon and start putting on some weight. Congrats on the new job, too. May it be all you are hoping for!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Kass, I am so glad to hear things are going a bit better for you.
I hope your sweet girl starts to put on some weight soon.

Good luck with the new job.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Kass, I'm glad things are looking up for you!
Having gone through food allergies, hyperethesia, and non-tolerance of other cats with Jamie, I can really sympathize.
If Nakita accepts the new restricted diet, you may want to rotate it with the "old" one. I've found a couple of different foods that Jamie can tolerate, and I have to keep rotating them in order to get him to eat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! Your ongoing support is wonderful. I'm hoping we can finally tackle Nakita's health issues and get them sorted out.

Originally Posted by jcat

Kass, I'm glad things are looking up for you!
Having gone through food allergies, hyperethesia, and non-tolerance of other cats with Jamie, I can really sympathize.
Hey, I think these cats are two peas in a pod! It seems like Nakita is following Jamie's pattern.

Up until now, food was never an issue. As long as it wasn't fish or beef, Nakita would eat almost anything. I tried converting her to an all wet diet back last spring/summer but she eventually started to refuse it. They say a cat will eat if it's hungry...but not Nakita. She will starve herself and only drink water until I give her something else.
But these prescription diets are going to be the death of me. Nakita refused two other types and she actually backed away from her bowl when I poured the venison and pea.
We started the Royal Canin prescription duck and rice this past Wednesday so I'm keeping my fingers crossed she'll continue eating it. The only other option is rabbit and pea after this one.

We're still not sure it's IBS, food allergies or both. I guess only time will tell. I'm going to buy some Wysong meat only canned food this weekend to see if I can start getting Nakita over to wet food. Its been awhile and she may be interested. I'm just looking for anything that Nakita will enjoy eating but won't make her potential allergies act up.

Thanks again guys!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Jamie is a dry food fanatic, and the only luck I've had is with canned foods that are all meat, all fish, meat & fish, or one of those with at most 1% rice. I can't advise you about brands, because the canned I get is European, and often fish, though I'm thinking about trying "Ziwi Peak", a New Zealand brand also available in North America. The price is really prohibitive, though. The thing to be careful about is that the calcium/phosphorus ratios in the all-meat food aren't always balanced (there should be more calcium than phosphorus; if there isn't, the advice I've gotten is to feed a combination of canned and dry).
Once we got Jamie's food allergies under control, the hyperesthesia dramatically decreased, although I had one or two vets tell me there wasn't any connection(!). I believe the irritability caused by the hyperesthesia was a major factor in Jamie's rejection of other cats (and children), but I have no proof of that.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of good postive changes in your life.
My Ox as he ages (17yrs 7 mo.) has gotten picky with dry food in the past yr. He can eat any wet available but then I have some BM issues as he is a non litte rbox user to begin with!! So I know what its like buying all that different food. Lucky he tolerates all the other cats.
It must be nice having a job where you can walk to work!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!

Originally Posted by jcat

Jamie is a dry food fanatic, and the only luck I've had is with canned foods that are all meat, all fish, meat & fish, or one of those with at most 1% rice. I can't advise you about brands, because the canned I get is European, and often fish, though I'm thinking about trying "Ziwi Peak", a New Zealand brand also available in North America. The price is really prohibitive, though.
I just picked up some Wysong meat only duck and rabbit. Hopefully we'll get this solved soon!
I really want Nakita off the Prednisone.