Help with IBD

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my cat's has mild IBD. His weight and behhavior is fine, he throws up a bit more than normal and has alittle bloody stool. Right now he is on a prescription food, Purina DM (its a diabetes food) and he should be tahing an anitbiotic, Tylan Powder but he won't eat it, and i tasted it and its AWFUL tasting, too yucky to disguise.

His IBD is not bad enough to justify Pregnisone yet. Any thoughts?

Stephen

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephenq

One of my cat's has mild IBD. His weight and behhavior is fine, he throws up a bit more than normal and has alittle bloody stool. Right now he is on a prescription food, Purina DM (its a diabetes food) and he should be tahing an anitbiotic, Tylan Powder but he won't eat it, and i tasted it and its AWFUL tasting, too yucky to disguise.

His IBD is not bad enough to justify Pregnisone yet. Any thoughts?

Stephen
What is IBD? I have looked through the index of all my cat's reference and cannot find this term or abbreviation. I cannot help you with you question but want very much to know what IBD stands for, for future reference.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi

What is IBD? I have looked through the index of all my cat's reference and cannot find this term or abbreviation. I cannot help you with you question but want very much to know what IBD stands for, for future reference.
its irritable bowel disease or syndrome as its sometimes called....
I had a kitty that had a horrible problem with runny stools and since leukemia cats tend to have tummy problems, I figured that he had IBD, I kept trying food until I found one that helped and the winner was- Iams! not the best, but it worked on poor Rocket, that would be my advice, try different foods, switching over slowly of course, until you find one that works

candyangels4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If his antibiotic is a pill (and from the sound of it, Tylan Powder, I am not sure that it is), you shoudl try Pill Pockets. They are AWESOME. It used to be such a pain to give my cat his medicine, but with these, you just put the pill in, pinch it shut and they just eat it like a treat. You can get them at PetSmart for about $10.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would talk with the vet ... but my IBD dog is nearly perfect on a raw or homemade diet//

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

its irritable bowel disease or syndrome as its sometimes called....
I had a kitty that had a horrible problem with runny stools and since leukemia cats tend to have tummy problems, I figured that he had IBD, I kept trying food until I found one that helped and the winner was- Iams! not the best, but it worked on poor Rocket, that would be my advice, try different foods, switching over slowly of course, until you find one that works
Wow, you were right, it was listed under IBS in my documentation and what is so amazing is that I, not my cat, am taking medicine (Librax) for this very same condition. I only mention this because often I have seen people make references to medicines that are also prescribed for cats that are taken by humans (or would that be vice versa?)

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi

Wow, you were right, it was listed under IBS in my documentation and what is so amazing is that I, not my cat, am taking medicine (Librax) for this very same condition. I only mention this because often I have seen people make references to medicines that are also prescribed for cats that are taken by humans (or would that be vice versa?)
Isn't it amazing the list of ailments that can befall our kitties? everything we can get and then some!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try a probiotic in pill form, such as acidophilus.

Diabetic, huh? Is there any way you can switch to an all-wet, grain-free diet? It might actually help the diabetes, depending on how far the condition has progressed. I use Evanger's Organic Turkey and Butternut Squash and have had great luck with it. I had reasonably good luck with Wellness Chicken, too.