Trying to sell a car, ugh.

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So my mom gave me her car to sell for her, I've never sold a car before, Im not a good hagler(sp). Her car is a 2001 mercedes station wagon,excellent like new condition, and only 39,000 miles.

I feel this one women is trying to take advantage of me, sort of, at the same time I know she is trying to find the best deal.
I originally asked for $25,000 for the car, which now I realize was probley too high, but I was also thinking about the bargianing aspect of selling a car when i came up with that price.

Anyway I had really liked this lady, I told her I'd give her the car for $20,000, thats the absolute lowest I want to go, I mean this car is literally in new condition and to find a 2001 with such low miles is rare. So I definitly believe 20,000 is fair,infact the value of the car according to edmunds, is around 21,000. She emailed me and said she would give me a cashiers check today if I was selling it for $19,000. Its only $1,000 less then what I want, but I still feel like I should get $20,000. I had already told her others where interested, but maybe I should tell her someone offered me $20,000 but I wanted to give her the first chance to buy, so unless she wants it for $20,000, the car will go to someone else?

I havnt had anyone else look at the car, but to be honest I havnt really been trying. My mom's benz guy said he can get the car sold for me if this women doesnt work out.

I dont know what to do, Im so new to this stuff, Im definitly not a businesse women. But I also just want to sell this car and be done with it, I actually really need the money right now.

What should I do, what would you guys do?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would check the value on kbb.com-that is what I used to use at work. Print it out and show it to her. (if the value is close to the offer) also find out a bit more from your mother's "benz guy" on the value if you can.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

I would check the value on kbb.com-that is what I used to use at work. Print it out and show it to her. (if the value is close to the offer) also find out a bit more from your mother's "benz guy" on the value if you can.
I second that idea. I wouldn't go much lower than the KBB value.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's a difference between getting a good deal and stealing - you deserve to get at least what your car is worth regardless of how much she's looking for a good deal.

Be firm - tell her you are sorry, but your price is firm - take it or leave it as you are sure you'll have no problem selling it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I sold the car!!!!
After I posted here I sent her an email saying i could not go any lower and that I hoped she could find the car she wants. So she emailed me back and said she would take it!
She picked it up yesterday, im so excited!I just hope i did all the paperwork right, ive never sold a car before, and my mom wouldnt help. But I did it! Yay!