Shotguns?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Soo....out of curiosity, how many of you lovely TCS people have been trained how to use a shotgun? I can. Pretty well too - Colin tought me well.
I actually like shotguns better than pistols- to me they're easier to use and easier to shoot. When Colin got back in town last night he made me show him how I would "use" it again since the whole "gargage scare" this week when he was out of town. After I showed him, he said he was proud of me and felt sorry for any idiot if they ever tried to hurt me while I have a shotgun. He showed me a few more cool moves last night (like what to do depending on each room of the house i'm in, how to keep a VERY low profile, how to distract them ....etc...good stuff to know if I should ever need it.) I don't like the idea of shooting someone, but if it came down to someone breaking in and trying to harm me- darn straight I would save my life by defending myself. Thankfully, I have had a bit of training and I'm able to responsibly use and store all guns (I would NEVER have a gun without the proper storage area for it....ever. I am SUPER responsible with it) Also, I train only at the range (never hunt or anything like that.) / So anyways, I was just curious how many of you out there know how to use a shotgun, or pistol, what brand you like the best? I use a Mosseberg Maverick (12 gauge shotgun...with low recoil shells so that the recoil isn't too bad...I really love it and feel very comfortable with it should I ever need to defend myself. Especially since my little scare a few nights ago. What do you use???

(Here's what happened with the whole garage thing a few nights ago
)

when I was sitting down in the living room on the couch around 4am, the garage door opened. Nobody has the garage door openers- there is one in my car and one in Colins. Also, nobody has the code to the garage door to open it. At first I thought maybe Colin flew home early...but then I was like "wait"...it's almost 4:00 in the morning, no way that's Colin and beside, his truck is in the garage-he couldn't have come home from the airport. At that point I started to flip out. I called Colin in tears and then I went on telling him that the garage door was open and that nobody has access to open it except us. The thing that freaked me out is that Colin is a cop and has arrested a lot of ppl- if someone has an agenda against him...the squad car in front of the house is like a big red target. Colin asked me if i saw or heard anyone outside and I told him that I didn't, but that didn't mean they couldn't be there....so at this point I was crying hysterically and having a hard time breathing (I was already sick and crying before this, so that definitely didn't help.) Colin told me to go in the closet and get the shotgun and the pistol....so I ran in the bedroom closet, go get them and ran back into the kitchen by the garage door and looked out the window...at this point I ran into the kitchen (out of sight of the window, flipped the garage light on, and turned off all of the lights inside the house-that way if there were someone in the garage, I could see them and take aim, but they couldn't see me...the door is a choke point....they have to go through it,and if they do- they will make themselves acquainted with the barrel of a shotgun and a nice little buckshot
)...I ran into the living room and picked out a good shot and had the shotgun cocked and ready to fire. Colin convienced me to get off the phone for 2 seconds so he could call his police friends and have them check out the house. Thankfully, they showed up not even 2 minutes later (Anytime they get a call that a fellow officer's house has something going on- they show up in no time flat- they're good about taking care of their own- i'm definitely greatful for that.) Well, two of his police friends came over and searched the outside of the house as well as every nook and craney of the whole house, including the attic? lol. They assured me that it was safe and said that what likely happened was someone was driving by the house, and the radiowaves interfeared with the garage's frequency...that or another person tried to use their garage door opener, and it accidently set off ours (I live in a very poor part of town...i've never had a garage in my life- so i've never had anything like this happen- which is what i explained to them...Colin lives in a really good neighborhood, with a garage...so even though i'm somewhat used to it, i still know nothing about garage doors.) - the guys were really supportive and assured me i was ok.....so after that they left and told me to call if i needed anything else. They were really sweet. Thankfully after that night I didn't have any more issues with the garage after that- it sure did scare me though- I left all of the security lights on and slept with a shotgun right beside me and a pistol under my pillow. Thankfully though everything as far as that goes is ok now."

(Please no negative gun comments anyone.
)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Well, living in Canada, i have never even seen a gun
lol, my best friend is the same way!
She wants to learn though, just in case she ever needs to know how (but she doesn't own one), so she is planning on signing up for a class specifically for women at the local range when the time is convient for her
(Her father is Canadian as well!) I'm partial to Canadians

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

Does this answer your question?

It's a Mossberg 12 guage... I have shot it MANY times and I'm WELL prepared to use it if I have to!
lol, I think it's safe to say that us two southern belles can hold our own if anybody ever tries anything lol! That picture is awesome

Mine & Colin's is a Mossberg Maverick 12 gauge - I love it, and the recoil isn't bad at all. (looks pretty similar to the one your shooting in the pic
)

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Well, living in Canada, i have never even seen a gun
lol were so funny!!, I've only seen one on a police officer's belt!

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My grandfather taught me how to shoot and handle guns when I was eight. I don't have any shotguns,but I do have 22 Mag Winchester bolt action rifle and a 38 Smith and Wesson Military Police pistol. I love to target practice and have also taught my daughters the proper way of handling firearms. Lack of knowledge is too dangerous!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

lol, I think it's safe to say that us two southern belles can hold our own if anybody ever tries anything lol! That picture is awesome

Mine & Colin's is a Mossberg Maverick 12 gauge - I love it, and the recoil isn't bad at all. (looks pretty similar to the one your shooting in the pic
)
That's what we have!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I learned to shoot 22s - rifle and pistol - at targets. A fav Sunday activity was to go to the old landfill and shoot cans.

My dad had several rifles but my nephew has them now. Nephew has a gun safe for them and his own.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have shot competitively since I was 13 years old I tried out for the Olympic team and came in 7th. I am a range officer and safty officer at the local shooting club. I am certified on 410, 28, 20, 12 guages. Almost All calibers of handguns and rifles from a 22 to a heavy rifle. I don't hunt I only target shoot and keep my guns at my parents house in a huge safe. Ammo is store seperate from that and all guns have trigger locks as is is Canadian law that you do so.

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can use a shotgun, but I've always been more of a handgun girl myself. Growing up in Georgia my dad taught me all about shooting and guns when I was big enough to hold one properly.

Here in Los Angeles its impossible to get a permit and I'm not really sure my husband is comfortable with guns so we don't have one. I do like to shoot for fun whenever I go home though.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I own a 20-guage JC Higgins pump shotgun. Pops gave it to me, when I moved into my own place and YES I DO know how to use it. Being raised by a Marine, I was thoroughly trained in handling weapons responsibly. I AM going to trade the shotgun for a .38 though - easier to conceal and carry, when I'm out on the road.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Advid hunting family (not me though), all of us were required by my folks to learn safe gun handling and firing.
Side arms and long arms.
I do have guns, but none that have been fired in the last 50 years

I have a small hunting rifle and a .45 owned by my grandfather locked in the gunsafe at my brother's house.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
been around firearms my whole life.also was on the shooting teams in school.
but for the home, i much perfer the shot gun over a hand gun any day of the week

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

been around firearms my whole life.also was on the shooting teams in school.
but for the home, i much perfer the shot gun over a hand gun any day of the week
I definitely second you on that. To me, shotguns are easier to deal with (once you get used to them) and also, ....while you might miss with a hand gun....you're definitely gonna hit someone with a shotgun .....and those bullets spread
I feel sorry for any individual if they ever try to break in while i'm here....they're gonna get a nice buck shot to the center of their body

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No guns here...no guns here EVER, actually. My opinions on gun ownership would actually be better suited for IMO, in fact, so I'm going to stop typing now

In fact, after reading this thread, I realize that I don't even know the difference between a shotgun and a handgun.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...are there not guns in Canada? Somehow that rings a bell, I went through Canada on a trip a long time ago...

Anyway...I chose other because I learned how to shoot a long time ago, but it was for hunting. I've never really owned a gun. I used a rifle for hunting - I've been sheep hunting in Alaska.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know how to handle one. My dad had/has one. But my mom wouldnt let him show us how to use it because she said that all of us kids take after her and are to clumsy to handle a gun. So he never taught any of us because she wouldnt let him.