I got the feral!!

fishtreatsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mr. semi-Feral is sitting in a trap in my spare bedroom right now. He's nice and quite so I'm wondering if he's sick?? I got the trap set on newspapers on top of waterproof padding, it'll all have to go after he's back. I got a vet appt. tomorrow morning, I'll be sitting on pins and needles. I'm not feeling too hot myself, fighting a cold/sinus probl. all due to stress.

I hope everything turns out ok and his tests are neg and surgery goes well.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you it's a tough job and alot of effort, I have 6 that I got and kept, Sissy, Zinger and dunkin are in my siggy, I also have Ziggy, Zazzy, Miniman, plus 2 that I have had for years, I hope all goes well for you and
to you for careing

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well
to you!
I recently had a similar episode with my escaped semi-feral so I can understand what you are going through!
Fingers and paws crossed that your boy ends up healthy and happy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fishtreatsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow Halfpint! These are all ferals you've trapped and kept? Are they all inside cats now? How do you get them to all get along?

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well I had 2 older cats then I brought Dunkin and Miniman home, then I got sissy who had 5 baby girls of witch I kept 3, Ziggy, Zazzy,Zinger
I was trying to make it easy. My 2 older cats didn't really bat an eye and all the others basically are related except for the big handson boy Dunkin, Moma cat & minman are brother & sister and the girls are all hers, so we didn't had a time at all, all 8 get along really good, there's pictures of all of them in the fur pictures thread, I just Love them to death

naomih

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by halfpint

well I had 2 older cats then I brought Dunkin and Miniman home, then I got sissy who had 5 baby girls of witch I kept 3, Ziggy, Zazzy,Zinger
I was trying to make it easy. My 2 older cats didn't really bat an eye and all the others basically are related except for the big handson boy Dunkin, Moma cat & minman are brother & sister and the girls are all hers, so we didn't had a time at all, all 8 get along really good, there's pictures of all of them in the fur pictures thread, I just Love them to death
I have a similar situation...have 8 in here, all either feral from the street, or kittens of ferals, and they all get along famously. I find "street cats" get along better with each other than domestic cats, maybe because they are used to sharing turf and used to having relationships with other cats rather than humans.

fishtreatsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got the feral in a separate room...all night long one of my other cats have been at the door scratching it trying to get inside the room. My other cat basically ignores whats going on. At what point do I introduce the newcome to the cats? We didn't get much sleep last night and it may be scaring the feral also.

syrisisabully

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think you should wait a while before doing introductions. How feral is this cat? Is it an adult? You may want to test for diseases and get the cat desexed before introducing them. Once you do that, the feral cat may find some comfort in having a friend. Unless, they fight.

fishtreatsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He has been desexed on Friday, given rabies and distemper shots. He tested neg. for FIV and FeL, Revolution for fleas/ear mites . My other cats are strictly indoor, they have nothing contagious.

syrisisabully

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You have got it all covered!!!! I would leave the door open and watch then, see their reactions. Maybe try your more curious cat first? It might go easier one at a time. Since they've already been sniffing at the door for a couple days, thats the first step. If there's a bad reaction between the two, you could switch cats, get the less-interested cat out and put curious guy in a room. They could get along, maybe not. If they do, the new cat might come out and check the rest of the house out.
OR
You could put both cats in a room, and let the new cat out first to check the house out before meeting any cats. Maybe try this for a couple hours in the evening for a couple days in a row. Once the new cat is more comfortable in your home, it could help them get along. Also he'll have smelt them already, and left his scent around too, so they might be more accepting of him.

Thats what I do with my fosters. It varies from different cats, and their sexes. Hope I helped a little bit!

syrisisabully

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot!! When you let new cat out, you can also put your resident cats in HIS room, to aid in getting them used to his scent.