How often do you buy kitty litter???

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Kenzie is a little poo machine, so today I have to go and get her some more kitty litter. Oh Joy!
lol....it's sad when I go to the grocery store more for the animals than for people food
...ahh, i'm going to have to accept the fact that i'm a cat lady one of these days
.../ I was wondering how often everyone buys kitty litter, what brand you use, how often you change your pans, and what size bag you buy.

I use normally use Arm & Hammer Super Scoop for my adult kitties (but sometimes i'll use fresh step, tidy cats, or something else if it's good and on sale) and Swheat Scoop for my foster kittens (just in case they get curious and try to eat the litter...it's non toxic..)

I have 4 kitties that I use the litter for (not counting the foster kittens) Humm, I'm really not sure how often I buy litter....but i'm going today....I will be switching Kenzie to the Arm & Hammer Super Scoop today .
I will be purchasing the normal sized box (I think there is only one size for that but i could be wrong.). I scoop my litter pans 1-2x a day and completly dump and clean Kenzie's every other day....ther rest of the girls I scoop daily and dump and clean once a week thoroughly.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mum discovered a different way to clean the litter and it holds longer so she buys it once every 2 - 3 weeks.
But i used to buy it every 2 weeks to last for that amount.

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Arm and Hammer is the best !! and it lasts a good month!

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Everclear. Horribly dusty but it's the only thing I've found strong enough (clumpin-wise) to withstand my herd!! It depends, I usually buy a 28 pound tub every 3 weeks or so.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm using Tidy Cats Multiple cat (ya think?
) scoop and Scoop Away right now, I'm using up the rest of the Premium Choice as it was not cutting it on the odor control anymore.... I currently have 10 boxes, 8 in the spare room, 1 in the kitchen (will be moving that one shortly) and 1 in my bathroom. I usually buy litter as its on sale and I have a coupon, so, like right now I have four 25-31 lb containers waiting in the wings. I change my boxes when the litter gets low, or really nasty, then I just dump and scrub
I usually scoop once a day, when I get home in the evening, but sometimes I don't get around to it, but I NEVER go more than 1 day without scooping

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use World's Best, though I'm considering switching even though I LOVE it because Gracie (who is healthy and vet checked recently) started pooping on the floor every once in a while, which she never did before. She only does it after the litter has been there long than 2 weeks, but I don't think I can afford to switch out the litter weekly if I'm using World's Best (and by all accounts, it should last longer than that). So we'll see. But I love love LOVE World's Best...it is light and soft and controls odor and clumps so well and it doesn't make me cough

I get 2 17 pound bags every 3 weeks

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use chn feed with a layer of PPOD on the bottom.... I buy a 50lb of chn feed every 3-5 weeks ... have two large and one small boxes that are changed at least monthly more if nessasary....

missinthesouth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Feline Pine.

I change the box ever 2 weeks or so (sometimes it lasts longer), I buy the big 20 lb bag, and I go through 1 bad every 2 months or so (I think, b/c I am about half way through the bag and it's been a month). It's $10/bag.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
last time i bought fresh step, because i had a coupon. i prefer the container tidy cats comes in to the boxes that fresh step and arm & hammer come in. but working-wise, i think they're all 3 similar. that's the 3 i voted for.
i buy cat litter about once a month for my 4 cats & 3 boxes.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Arm & Hammer, comes in a 14 lb., 21 lb., and 35 lb. box in my area - I try to buy the 35 lb one when I can.

I tried the multi-cat kind, but didn't like it at ALL, thought it stunk up much faster than the regular, so I switched back.

LOVE the Arm & Hammer!!!

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
4 litter boxes here, Fresh Step and scoop once a day when I first get up. I no sooner get done, and Petals decided to do her thing in it.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was using Fresh Step litter, then saw Scoop Away at Costco on special - 90lbs for about $12!
So I got that.

It's really dusty though - even just scooping, I go away sneezing, and given that cat's eyes and noses are more sensitive, I can imagine they probably don't like it much, so I think I'll go back to the Fresh Step litter.

1 large tub of Fresh Step lasts the 2 big litter trays a month or so I think... I can't remember....

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use WBCL. I'm allergic either to clay dust or the scents in scented litter, or maybe both. But I want something I can flush. I also like the fact that WBCL is light because then I can carry it from the computer room to the bathroom easily. I change when the litter looks like it's getting dirty. Prego tends to pee down the back of one of the boxes, so that one gets dirty and has to be cleaned more often. I also smell test frequently. This is going to sound gross, but after I scoop, I stick my head in and take a big sniff. If it smells bad to me, I know it must smell bad to the kitties.

I scoop twice a day and when Prego plants a rose because it's really bad.

crystal211

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We use Fresh Step Crystals - the larger bag, not sure what size it is, I don't have one in the house. I get two uses out of the bag (I use half each time), and I change it once a week.

We have one box for five cats (we live in a two bedroom apartment right now and there's only room for one) so we go through it pretty quickly. When I move into a house in January, I'm going to look into getting two depending on space (it's a one floor house).

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I was using Fresh Step litter, then saw Scoop Away at Costco on special - 90lbs for about $12!
So I got that.

It's really dusty though - even just scooping, I go away sneezing, and given that cat's eyes and noses are more sensitive, I can imagine they probably don't like it much, so I think I'll go back to the Fresh Step litter.

1 large tub of Fresh Step lasts the 2 big litter trays a month or so I think... I can't remember....
I can't stand the Scoop Away smell either, but the cats don't seem to mind it as those 2 litter boxes are always FULL! Whatever the kitties want, the kitties get

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Tidy cats Multiple cats Hard clumping litter.It's a 35 pound bucket sort of container.I've had it for about 2 weeks and there is still a little over half of it left.
I scoop all 3 litter boxes out once in the evening and clean all 3 completly every other week.
I was using the Tidy Cats mulitple NON cluming kind and would have to replace the whole thing every 3-4 days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the responses everyone
/ I just got back from the store with a big box of Arm & Hammer Super Scoop