Phantom Pregnancy?

minxie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back in July/August my vet confirmed that Tinkerbelle was pregnant (she has managed to get out of the house before her spay appointment). Over the weeks she developed enlarged nipples, sweeter temperament, a slightly bigger tummy and even started looking for nesting places.

I was expecting the kittens in September....

September has come and gone. No kittens. No large tummy. Nipples are enlarged a little but she is still as sweet and affectionate as ever. Confused? I was. You know how it is when you are expecting kittens...the excitement, the staying up at night to see if 'tonight's the night', the endless reading about pregnant cat and kitten care....all to no avail it seems.

She went back into heat a week ago...so I'm now assuming she is not pregnant and have booked her to be spayed on Monday.

There has been no bleeding or discharge from her so I don't think she had a miscarriage. She is healthy, eating well and lively. Can cats have a phantom pregnancy?
My vet said he can't comment without seeing her.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard of false pregnancys! I would say that's what happened.But,that being said,I would DEFINATLY keep the spay appt. so you don't have to go through the merry go round ride of --she's gonna have babies--she's not---she is.Plus, it's ALOT heathier for her!!!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by minxie

Back in July/August my vet confirmed that Tinkerbelle was pregnant (she has managed to get out of the house before her spay appointment). Over the weeks she developed enlarged nipples, sweeter temperament, a slightly bigger tummy and even started looking for nesting places.

I was expecting the kittens in September....

September has come and gone. No kittens. No large tummy. Nipples are enlarged a little but she is still as sweet and affectionate as ever. Confused? I was. You know how it is when you are expecting kittens...the excitement, the staying up at night to see if 'tonight's the night', the endless reading about pregnant cat and kitten care....all to no avail it seems.

She went back into heat a week ago...so I'm now assuming she is not pregnant and have booked her to be spayed on Monday.

There has been no bleeding or discharge from her so I don't think she had a miscarriage. She is healthy, eating well and lively. Can cats have a phantom pregnancy?
My vet said he can't comment without seeing her.
Yes...they can definately have a false or phantom pregnancy. I'm glad you are planning to have her spayed...let us know what your vet tells you.

Katie

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so grateful that you posted this. My Tammy-Timmy went through the same thing. I thought I had lost my mind. Tammy is going in Tuesday to be spayed.

Same symptoms, big belly, crazy antics, enlarged nipples, wanting hugs and loves.....and then "pouff" everything has changed an NO KITS!!!!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes they can. But its more common for false pregnancies in dogs then in cats. But it can happen. At least she will be spayed now and you won't have to worry about kittens