Female Cat peeing on the bed

flinni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

I have a 16-week old female cat (Millie) that we have had now for about 1-month, so far everything has been great. We had some initial 'night crazy' problems, but she has settled now into a routine and only occasionally wakes us up at 4:00pm
Anyway, over the last week or two she has been peeing on our bed covers. The strange thing is, she uses the litter tray for Number two's and she uses the litter tray for peeing during the day. However, whenever we are getting ready for bed (between 10:45-11:45pm), she pee's on the bed covers/duvet which is very frustrating. We have washed the duvets, introduced citrus candles into our bedroom and have been keeping an eye on her during this time. We can't lock her out of the room, as she scratches the door and cries. She does sleep on the bottom of the bed with us, which is strange as I thought cats wouldn't pee and sleep in the same spot? Has anyone had this problem?

I am going to get some plug-ins to scent the room and we are going to get a plastic sheet to cover the bed to try and stop her from doing it. Does anyone have any quick/easy solutions?

Thx

Iain

kura

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe she is coming into heat? One of my friends kittens started do this before she came into heat. Sorry if I'm wrong.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has she been seen by a vet? Peeing outside the litterbox is often the sign of a urinary problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flinni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pleaseeeee HELP !!!!

I still have a problem

Update:- I've taken Millie to the vet (there is no urinary problem and she has a full bill of health). I've tried putting tinfoil on my bed, scented candles in the room, purchased an extra litter tray (which see does use, just not all the time), I've fully washed and cleaned my duvet set about ten times now and I've had to resort to putting a waterproof plastic sheet on my bed, which she now chews and plays with, then pees on.

The frustrating thing is that she will use the litter tray for number 1's and 2's most of the time, but at least 2-3 times per week, at different times of the day (usually evening), she will pee on the bed. I’ve tried everything I can think of……

1/ Is there a way to train and/or punish her for doing this, to help her learn?
2/ Why does she only pee on the bed we sleep in and not in the spare bedroom or anywhere else in the house?
3/ Could there be a ‘scent’ trace of urine that is attracting her back to the spot, can this be neutralized. I’ve already tried sprays and what-not, I’ve heard somewhere that Vodka works?

The only thing I can think of is to throw out the mattress (which is only about 12 months old anyway) and buy a new one, but this might not solve the problem and I can’t keep buying mattresses every time she wants a pee.

Yours frustrated

Iain

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried literally soaking the pee spots with an enzymatic cleaner (Simple Solution, available in Pets At Home and Jollyes) I have found this to work wonders on taking out any pee smell from matresses and duvets. (you need to literally soak the area so that it covers every level of the matress)

I would think that as Millie has a full clear bill of health and uses the tray for the majority of the time, there is more than likely scent remaining.

Another thing you might want to look into is Feliway Plug-ins and Sprays which will help create a calming feeling and the spray helps prevent marking (I know it's not quite the same as peeing, but I have found it to ve quite affective)

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In my opinion, it's time to ban her from the bedroom. Yes, she will cry and scratch, but not forever. Take it from me, (look at my screen name), pee problems will not resolve without drastic action.

Good luck!

Cally

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pee-cleaner

In my opinion, it's time to ban her from the bedroom. Yes, she will cry and scratch, but not forever. Take it from me, (look at my screen name), pee problems will not resolve without drastic action.

Good luck!

Cally
I agree here. If she is 'being bad' and peeing on the bed then she should not have the privelege to sleep on the bed.

Cats need discipline too!

cutie1515

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my cat emma started peeing on pillows and goose down feather blankets or basically anything that would be impossible to wash in a small apt washer/dryer.

she is 4 months old now and started doing it. then about 2 days later she went into heat.

we got her fixed up and shes been fine ever since.

also, you need to buy an enzyme cleaner that will totally get rid of the pee. just b/c you can't smell it doesn't mean the cat can't.