Alright How do I do this?

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, we have a few strays in the area that I have seen and I have left food out, and its always been eaten.

Well there is one praticular stray, a momma cat shes a beauty a buff color, with points on her. Isis had her cornered one day, not trying to hurt her (isis loves kitties) but trying to alert mom. this was about 16weeks ago. well i got isis cause mom was obviously stressed. and than i heard a little mew. I knew it had to be a baby and i looked up and over and all around in our little bush area. found some interesting stuff, lol like an old shed. but no kitten. So i left ome food out and went in.

Since than I have seen mom cat a few times, and each time have ALMOST caught her. but something always startles her away. Well tonight on the way home from picking steve up from work she darted across the road infront of us, and right behind her was a little cutey in tow. I got out of the car bu they both darted off, the kitten curiously looked at me but than followed mom.

Its getting colder out, and i really cant bear them out in the winter...so my uestion is how do i go about trapping them? I am good at Socialzation done that before. And i may already have someone interested in taking the pair if i can get them inside.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, this is probably a case of trapping yes. But before you trap the mom you must know for sure where the kitten is, and immediately collect it. Otherwise it is horror...

Second possibility is, as they do eat of your food. Dont leave it everywhere, but in one place. Make they do see it is you who come with the food. Yes, perhaps even leave some cloth with your scent with the food?
The point is they will be accustomed to your scent and the sight of you as the food-bringer, friendly and docile human.

With a little luck there will not even be necessary with a trap.
Especially as it IS beginning to be more cold, and the mom cat knows this.

For mom cats it is more important with security for their kittens than "freedom".
As soon you convice her you are the secure and safe place - the chances will be excellent.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do only leave it in one place. and IHave left items out with my scent

Its getting cold fast and I worry poor dear. The little one sure is sweet looking. and is by guess the same age as some of my older ones, thanks for the tips tho
I have ben thinking about placing a box out with some nice warm blankets and putting the food in there and see if that helps. At least they would have a warm place to bunk until i get everone caught

Good tip on the baby thing tho. I wouldnt want the poor dear to be all alone.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ScamperFarms

I do only leave it in one place. and IHave left items out with my scent

Its getting cold fast and I worry poor dear. The little one sure is sweet looking. and is by guess the same age as some of my older ones, thanks for the tips tho
I have ben thinking about placing a box out with some nice warm blankets and putting the food in there and see if that helps. At least they would have a warm place to bunk until i get everone caught

Good tip on the baby thing tho. I wouldnt want the poor dear to be all alone.
Here's an idea if you can trap the mom and bring her back the same day:

I was there yesterday and she told me about the
tracking
device they use to track Momma ferals back to her
kittens. She says
she's used this method dozens of times and always with
success. DOZENS
OF TIMES!! When they trap a lactating female, they put
on a
transmitting collar, (made for use with housecats),
while she's under
for her spay. They release her early and track her
right back to her
babies! They round up the kittens into a carrier then
re-trap Momma,
using the kittens as bait, (you know, kittens in a
carrier, trap butted
against it all covered with a cloth). If the kittens
are old enough,
she and a helper pull the "break away" collar with the
tracking device
off of Momma through the trap and release her. If the
kittens still
need her, they bring them all home and release the
Momma later when the
kittens are weaned. I tell you, this lady and her
brilliant ideas get
me more excited than my husband ever did, (Don't tell
Bruce that!). I
usually dread it when I hear of, or see a new mom, now
I've got hope
that I'll be able to help every single one of them
/and/ tame her
kittens!! Here's the website for the tracking device
and collars:
http://www.thecatlocator.com/
Spread the word on this one!
Nina

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just want to update everyone on this situation. It turns out that the momma cat has a home. and its just across the street from me. with an older couple. The tom cat also lives there and she has 7 kittens and ot just the one i saw. They are all very cute, and sweet, and several are seal point.

Turns out they were just a little under educated and thought they were doing the ok thing by letting them all wander outside. Momma cat is well tamed when in her own yard. After some talking and giving them some materials on the pros of indoor cats (especially in this state brr) and some info on spaying and neutering. They took the cats inside.

They are also on a fixed income,making it hard for them to pay the Spay/Neuter cost. I took it on myself and took the mom and dad (kittens are old enough to be weaned) in and had them fixed for them and got their shots updated (they did have the paperwork showing their last shots. made me feel better) when i was paying for it and talking to the receptionist at my new vet about the issue (they knew tey werent one of my brood) the vet overheard and he offered to get shots, and Spays/Neuters for all the babies, and He would pay for it

What a wonderfull guy!

The couple has decided on their budjet they can keep two of the kittens and the parents, inside. And Me and the Vet will help them rehome the others.

Happy ending all the way around

And i have some new friends close by

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ScamperFarms

I just want to update everyone on this situation. It turns out that the momma cat has a home. and its just across the street from me. with an older couple. The tom cat also lives there and she has 7 kittens and ot just the one i saw. They are all very cute, and sweet, and several are seal point.

Turns out they were just a little under educated and thought they were doing the ok thing by letting them all wander outside. Momma cat is well tamed when in her own yard. After some talking and giving them some materials on the pros of indoor cats (especially in this state brr) and some info on spaying and neutering. They took the cats inside.

They are also on a fixed income,making it hard for them to pay the Spay/Neuter cost. I took it on myself and took the mom and dad (kittens are old enough to be weaned) in and had them fixed for them and got their shots updated (they did have the paperwork showing their last shots. made me feel better) when i was paying for it and talking to the receptionist at my new vet about the issue (they knew tey werent one of my brood) the vet overheard and he offered to get shots, and Spays/Neuters for all the babies, and He would pay for it

What a wonderfull guy!

The couple has decided on their budjet they can keep two of the kittens and the parents, inside. And Me and the Vet will help them rehome the others.

Happy ending all the way around

And i have some new friends close by
That's AWESOME...what a wonderful outcome for everyone.

Katie