Black, flaky chin

mommyofmanypets

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My one-year-old cat has developed a flakiness on his chin. It is black and looks like dirt. It is similar to flea dirt but he does not have fleas or the flakiness on any other part of his body. It does not seem to bother him in any way other than he just looks dirty. I remember reading several years ago something about cats having allergies to their food dishes that were made of plastic. I use plastic dishes with mine. Do you think this could be the problem or something else?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feline acne.
Yes, the plastic causes it.
Use stainless steel or glass and wash them daily.
If the acne does not appear infected, you can treat it by scrubbing 2-3 times a day with Phisoderm, or similar acne cleanser and rinse thoroughly.

If it does appear infected, a vet visit may be in order.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abigail

It is chin acne ( diagnosed by my vet) and could be due to an allergy to plastic dishes but my cat gets ceramic dishes and still has it. Ii have begun putting stridex on it and occasionally benadryl. will keep you posted.
Just so that you are aware...ceramic works fine, but over time the glaze developes cracks that hold bacteria just like plastic does.
If your kitty is still getting acne, get a magnifying glass and check the glaze on the dishes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommyofmanypets

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Arlyn and Abigail. Your advice soothes my curiosity. Petey is such an adorable kitty. He is a mixed breed but similar to a Maine Coon. He is orange tabby and white with a fluffy tail. His chin is white and that is how I noticed the black flakiness. I will certainly use ceramic or stainless bowls and see if it goes away. I have five cats so the plastic bowls were easiest to use since I have so many to wash and rotate. They were inexpensive so no matter how little time I had to clean them up I always had a fresh bowl on hand. I will just have to learn to wash ceramic ones more often! Thank you!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Read my above post

Also, if you like having many dishes to rotate (as I do with six cats), the best place to buy them is thrift stores.
I usually by pyrex or stainless mixing bowls (various sizes) under $1 each.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ceramic dishes can get cracks in the glaze and be as bad as plastic (as mentioned above). Stainless steel really are the best. I got about 8 of them so that I always have clean ones for each feeding. 3 or 4 of them came free with WBC litter and the others were very inexpensive at the pet store. The nice thing is they'll last for a very long time.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good question...
You might try looking at an outdoor/camping outfitter like REI or Cabela's

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Little glass dessert dishes purchased at yard sales for a quarter are the perfect catfood dish. I have a ton of them for three cats. Also, what are the dishes sitting on. I found that a plastic matt, even with the glass dishes, caused the acne.

chaoran22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
is chin acne always black and flakey? my kitten currently has what looks like human zit and then on the side what looks like raw flesh (no redness but the flesh is white and mangled looking) and i assumed it was acne but now i'm not sure. here's a picture below: the zit is on the left and the mangled looking area is right to the right of it - it's kind of hard to see but if you look carefully, you can see the white area. i have an arrow pointing to the area, it has several white splotches just below his hair on his lip.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chaoran22

is chin acne always black and flakey? my kitten currently has what looks like human zit and then on the side what looks like raw flesh (no redness but the flesh is white and mangled looking) and i assumed it was acne but now i'm not sure. here's a picture below: the zit is on the left and the mangled looking area is right to the right of it - it's kind of hard to see but if you look carefully, you can see the white area. i have an arrow pointing to the area, it has several white splotches just below his hair on his lip.
Pixel's is sometimes black, & sometimes more like a waxy exudate. i use saucers rather than bowls, & ceramic at that. since she's basically a dry only eater, i don't worry as much about cracks in the glazing. the glass dessert dish suggestion is a good one - i think the flatter dish keeps the bacteria or whatever away from the chin better.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've always seen the stainless pet food bowls in pretty much every pet supply store I've visited. They should be relatively easy to find. The ones I have also have a rubber grip around the bottom edge to prevent slipping or moving while they are eating.

crazy4cats28

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mommyofmanypets

I will certainly use ceramic or stainless bowls and see if it goes away. I have five cats so the plastic bowls were easiest to use since I have so many to wash and rotate. They were inexpensive so no matter how little time I had to clean them up I always had a fresh bowl on hand. I will just have to learn to wash ceramic ones more often! Thank you!
A few months ago my Princess went through a REALLY SEVERE case of acne. Her entire chin swelled up to double its size overnight (she gets sick really easy and anything turns into a major illness with her). We already used glass bowls but when I was talking to my vet she mentioned that some cats are allergic to the dye used in ceramic bowls. I just thought I would mention that possibility before you go out and buy a bunch of ceramic bowls and still have a problem.

I hope your kitty feels better!!!!

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

. Also, what are the dishes sitting on. I found that a plastic matt, even with the glass dishes, caused the acne.
yes before I buy a new set of dishes, I removed the plastic mat as it could have been the culprit. if she doesn't improve ina week I will ditch the ceramic and invest in glass. I bet petri dishes would be perfect.

kittycorner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Uno too gets the occasional acne and I use ceramic bowls, I have found that they seems to be the best for mine. I also treat him with Stridex pads when he gets a flare up, its quick, cheap and user friendly, he fought me at first, but now he seems to enjoy it. Give them a try and it may burn at first if the chin is really red and sore but this has been what clears it up the fastest.

chaoran22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
eeks - milo's acne is getting worse and worse. his left upper lip is actually swollen so that it sticks out from his mouth, like a mini sneer
are people acne products (like stridex wipes) safe to use on cats? I have a 2% salicylic acid gel i use on myself for the occasional breakout, would it be safe if i put a very very VERY thin layer of that on him (after he eats so as to minimize the amount he'll injest)? i don't want it to keep swelling and get too out of control...poor baby - i didn't even know about the bowl situation, i use stainless steel but i wash them once a week when i wash my dog's bowls too but obviously i need to wash every day for the kitten.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chaoran22

eeks - milo's acne is getting worse and worse. his left upper lip is actually swollen so that it sticks out from his mouth, like a mini sneer
are people acne products (like stridex wipes) safe to use on cats? I have a 2% salicylic acid gel i use on myself for the occasional breakout, would it be safe if i put a very very VERY thin layer of that on him (after he eats so as to minimize the amount he'll injest)? i don't want it to keep swelling and get too out of control...poor baby - i didn't even know about the bowl situation, i use stainless steel but i wash them once a week when i wash my dog's bowls too but obviously i need to wash every day for the kitten.
i wouldn't use the salicylic gel - that what's in aspirin that's deadly to cats.

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there something else that can bring on cat acne?

Because my Portia has it, and we don't use any plastic bowls or ceramic ones!

And it is only her and not Diesel as well

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To lauren

The kitty acne I have seen is always on the chin and looks like blackheads but longer, not a circle. I don't think that is what your cat has.