...and these are our friends!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When we moved into the house, we made friends with the couple down at the main corner - they own a furniture store. We became friends with everyone who works there, because it's a small community and a really friendly family-owned shop.

So we walk in the door late this afternoon and the phone's ringing. One of the movers calls to tell Gary that one of the girls who worked there found five kittens this morning - two of them were dead - attacked by something. One looks like it's dying, can we do something? (He'd just finished deliveries for the day and called the minute he found out about the kittens).

Gary rushes over there. Two kittens are in a box that has cheerios and pizza in it. The other kitty is in a separate box - it was clearly bitten by something. The owner, his wife, and the two women that work there are all there. The kittens' eyes are open but still deep blue - they're the size of a hand. He YELLS at them "What the hell is the matter with you people? ALL of you KNOW we rescue cats - and you wait until a kitten is almost dead before you do ANYTHING?" He rushes out and speeds to the vet.

They tried to safe the life of the one kitten, but it did die.

The other two are complete parasite ridden - and haven't eaten for at least 48 hours. They're systems are completely empty, top to bottom. They're freezing cold. They too have puncture wounds. The vet is completely amazed that they're alive.

Gary called our mover friend at home to give him an update. Turns out the store owner, Jim, knew the cat family was there. He hadn't seen the mom cat for "maybe a couple of days."

Gary asked them all if they were out of their minds: 1) to not have done anything once they found them - especially since Jim hadn't seen the mom cat; 2) to not have called us immediately since they weren't going to take them to the vet in the first place; 3) to not have called us to let us know there was a feral cat on his property to begin with - they KNOW we rescue cats - and that we practice TNR!

What is WRONG with people?

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those poor little babies...I can't beleive they KNOW you rescue kits, and they didn't tell you sooner?

Really, I would be super upset at them...

Unfortunately, some people don't care for animals the way we do. Its sad in these situations as lives could have been saved.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMGoodness!! Those poor babies.I'm so glad you have them now.They are in good hands.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those Poor Kittens! I hope something can be done for the last 2. Bagheera was starving when he showed up here. He was weak and cold. But he ate after we forced him to at first and hasnt stopped eating since. The vet said that he wouldnt have survived the night most likely if he hadnt been rescued. He was sooo weak and you could feel every bone in his tiny body. The vet said it looked like probably hadnt eaten in at least 2 days.
Heres him about 3 days after he came here. He was still really weak.

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

What is WRONG with people?
IMO,
#1. They are ignorant.
#2. They don't care.

These people live everywhere, not just down the street from you.

How are the remaining kittens doing?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

He YELLS at them "What the hell is the matter with you people? ALL of you KNOW we rescue cats - and you wait until a kitten is almost dead before you do ANYTHING?" He rushes out and speeds to the vet.

Gary asked them all if they were out of their minds: 1) to not have done anything once they found them - especially since Jim hadn't seen the mom cat; 2) to not have called us immediately since they weren't going to take them to the vet in the first place; 3) to not have called us to let us know there was a feral cat on his property to begin with - they KNOW we rescue cats - and that we practice TNR!
What a shame for those babies and the Mother cat, too. Maybe there is hope left for the 2 remaining babies.

I just have to say you must be so very proud of Gary. He sounds like a wonderful man to stand up to his "friends" for those precious babies.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Laurie, I'm so sorry that the one little kitten couldn't be saved.
But I am holding out much hope for the two that are in your care can live long and happy and healthy lives after such a rough start.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Laurie i would have knocked doors through windows with them as well

Sending ((((((mega healthy vibes)))))) over for the other two babies and hopefully we can see them thrive as you keep us updated on them

lovinmom828

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
that is so sad,
Them people should of known better.
I hope the 2 other kittys get better and find loving homes. So sorry you had to go threw that with them people. I am glad you do what you do to stand up for kittys everywhere they really need someone like you to care about them you need a big
for all that you do.

Oh and 4crazycats I still love Bagheera ADORABLE one of the cuties kittys ever on my list. SO glad you took him into your heart.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

1.-Really, I would be super upset at them...

2.-Unfortunately, some people don't care for animals the way we do. Its sad in these situations as lives could have been saved.
1.-

2.-..

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These people are a prime example of "The more I get to know people, the more I love my cat." Ignorance is bliss I guess...
I hope the remaining kittens are ok!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The two little kitties are doing fine this morning. Apart from being starved, parasite-ridden and slightly wounded, they're in good shape, and they're going to do just great. The vet called late last night and this morning to give us updates.

The mover and two of the people from the store called to check in on them - and the mover, Bob, is going to adopt one of them.
His family had a kitty, but she died on mother's day - she was 18 years old. They weren't ready to get a new cat so didn't replace her...and now fate has stepped in. Their daughter Casey is going to be SOOOOO happy! We see her at least once a week, and every time she mentions that her kitty died and she really misses her (Casey is 8).

And.... guess where Gary is again? On his way to the vet with another kitten. They found another one in a totally different location. We don't know yet if mom was actually around and moving the kittens - or had started moving them when something happened to her (because the one kitten was attacked and the others bitten, perhaps she was in the process of moving the litter when something attacked, and she fought it off - and lost her life in the process? Don't know if we'll ever know).

Anyway, Gary rushed over there again. He called on the cell to let me know this one looks in much better shape than the others. He also suggested they totally search the property (it has three buildings, their home, two sheds and a warehouse). They're going to start putting food out at 7:00pm and take it up at 8:30pm. They feel so guilty, they're going to keep watch and let us know over the next few days if any - or how many - cats turn up, and we'll get to trapping them.

But what bugs me is we do this all over town for people we don't know, and...

I just feel so strange.... I mean - these are people that yesterday morning I would have described as really wonderful people. I mean -good friends - people I trust and respect. And I still like them - I mean - whatever made us become friends in the first place hasn't changed. But - I feel creepy now, and I feel like I've lost all respect for them. How could someone I've come to care about so much be so - thoughtless - or the word that comes to my mind is - cruel. In their minds they picked up the kittens and tried to do something (by feeding them cheerios and pizza). And when one kitty was at death's door, they finally thought to call us.

Meanwhile, in my mind they're stupid and thoughtless - and I'm just feeling very conflicted about the situation. "Wonderful" people that I think are great and totally respect would either call us immediately or grab the kittens and rush to the vet with them. I mean - the little kitty died in Gary's arms (for which he is both totally distressed and grateful that little kitty didn't die alone and cold) - and he is FURIOUS. If they weren't friends, I believe he would have called the SPCA (which here has the authority to prosecute/fine for animal cruelty). That may be over the top in a situation like this, where they at least didn't leave all the kittens there to die. But how does putting them in a box and giving them cheerios and pizza help? Gary said he asked - didn't it occur to any of them to give them WATER?

Anyway, I just needed to blab and blah blah blah. It's one thing to respond to call from people referred to us by the vet or something and we don't know them - but to have something like this happen with people from which you would have expected something totally different.... I'm having trouble with it.

Sometimes you just really have to hate people.

But the two kitties are going to be great - and I'm pretty sure the 3rd addition is going to be fine, too. And we've already found a home for one of them. So that's good.