Pineapple leaves

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I bought a pineapple at Wal-Mart. Yum! The kitties keep nibbling on the leaves of it. I put the pineapple on top of the fridge, but is there any harm in nibbling the leaves?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked it up on the net, and the Pineapple shrub is definitely toxic to cats, and the pineapple itself is poisonous when unripe.

Just to be on the safe side, please keep it in the fridge away from your furkids.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure how you feel about it, but I don't put fruit in the refrigerator - it's in a basket in the kitchen 24/7. If I were you, I would consider putting the pineapple on top of the stack of plates in the cupboard or something like that to just keep it away from the kitties (or the kitties away from the pineapple).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, will do! It's been sitting in a basket on top of the fridge.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why, I wonder, do they want to eat plants that are not good for them? Don't they have a warning, say a bad taste, that makes them stop?

coastal1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hmm thats really interesting! Is there a specific website that you can look up stuff like that? Or do you just do individual searches. I hope there's a database somewhere!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gizmocat

Why, I wonder, do they want to eat plants that are not good for them? Don't they have a warning, say a bad taste, that makes them stop?
For many things yes but for domestic kittys there senses are a bit duller than wild conterparts( just a theroy)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by PawPrinter

hmm thats really interesting! Is there a specific website that you can look up stuff like that? Or do you just do individual searches. I hope there's a database somewhere!!
I found a good list on the ASPCA web site, of course I wasnt smart enough to save the link

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
With some toxic plants, there is a bad taste or warning appearance. With others, I suspect the way the animal knows the plant is bad for it is when it throws the food up. When owners take the plant away before the cats eat enough to get sick on it, they don't learn the lesson.

Or it could be that pineapples are not indigenous to cats' native environment. The evolutionary adaptation only covers flora and fauna in the same habitat.

leahtate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten kept chewing on the top of the pineapple leaves while I was cutting up the pineapple.  I thought it was cute at the time but, now my kitty is acting very sick, won't eat and is lethargic.  Did the pineapple top poison my kitten?  And if so, what can I do to help her now?