Chip is having some poo issues

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Chip pooed on the bed again last night. at least, i think it was him... i never had anyone do it before he came.
this is my issue - prior to last night, he only did this when the litterbox containers needed emptying. but i emptied them monday morning, & they're nowhere near full. do y'all think he could be sick? the stool was well formed, not overly malodorous, & he acts like he feels just fine.
i'd add another box, but i've run out of places in my tiny house to put boxes...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
update: no poo yesterday on the bed. maybe both boxes needed to cycle just at the time he had to go? evidently none of y'all had any suggestions to offer

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I've just seen this, Laureen!

It does seem like an odd behaviour when the poo was well formed!
I wonder if it was just the chance that the box wasn't 'quite right' for him when nature called?!
Fussy boy!

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friends cat occasionally poos on the couch. Really weird.. he's fine though healthwise, so I think it could be a litterbox issue.

kmkelly127

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Vinny is having problems, too -- and has since July.

I've posted on here before about it, but more recently I've tried Cat Attract litter, which is supposed to help problem cats find their way back to the box. I've bought Simple Solution carpet cleaner to rid the smell from the carpet in front of the box (the only other place he'll go).

Since last Friday, when we put the Cat Attract litter in the one box that Vinny would go in (our other cat, Sherman, would use our other box and Vinny would not), he's only pooped outside the box twice, whereas it was either every day or every other day at a minimum. We're hoping with more time it'll help!

Good luck getting Chip on the right path! Maybe try the Cat Attract??

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kmkelly127

Good luck getting Chip on the right path! Maybe try the Cat Attract??
y'know, i think maybe the bedroom boxes were full [i.e. the cycle hadn't run since they had been used] & he doesn't like using the hall closet box, so he just went on the bed. he hasn't done it since, so i doubt it's a health issue. i just think he's very fussy about the state of his box. i wish i could add another box, but i don't even have wall space in the bedroom or den to put one - & i don't want to put one in the front rooms, where i would have company.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
ok, this morning someone had a liquid movement in the litterbox while i was still in bed. i know it wasn't Pixel, because she was in bed with me at the time. last week, someone [i strongly suspect Chip] had a semi-soft movement on the bed. i'm planning to serve pumpkin w/chicken tonight to try & stem this. this liquid one this morning was out of the blue, & i really don't know for sure who did it. i'm also going to try changing their wet food... Chip's problem seems to crop up every couple of weeks. i think maybe one of the MM tub flavors disagrees with him [he scarfs them all down, tho]. last night they had the beef flavor. any other suggestions? how can i determine who exactly is having the problem without being there to see who's doing it?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
just bumping to see if anyone has any other suggestions for me to try, especially ones to determine which kitty is having the problem. the weather's not good here, either... got snow already

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can tell who did what by size and amount ... but since you feed a like diet that may not be possible ... beef and tuna should actually be gentle on the tummy but some have beef issues... Do you still have bene bac around?? that would be a quick fix

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I can tell who did what by size and amount ... but since you feed a like diet that may not be possible ... beef and tuna should actually be gentle on the tummy but some have beef issues... Do you still have bene bac around?? that would be a quick fix
yeah, i just don't know who to give it to!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know how to tell who's the culprit. All I have to add is
& hope this all gets straightened out soon!!!

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats house, we just pay the mortgage..
I have no advice Laureen Im really sorry

I know how hard it is to check whos doing what. Normally I can tell but when its diarhhea it could be anybodies!
I really hope whoever it is, identifies themselves so you can get to the bottom of it.
Sorry you are going through this

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
well, it seems to have passed... i gave acidopholus in the wet food the past couple of nights. probably was either Cable or Chip, since it's not recurred. altho Chip did poo in a box yesterday morning, but it was solid.
so no issues at the present time! yay!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in the same boat kind of... so I didn't feel qualified to offer suggestions.
I hope everything has worked itself out in your neck of the woods!

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Fred has done this poo on the bed trick. I think it is related to him being mad at me for things like me going on vacation or working too much. He peed a few times too. this was awful, as I had to soak the mattress with Pet odour remover.
If the behaviour continues you may consider keeping your bedroom door closed when you are there.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since you can't add more boxes, can you afford and have you considered automatic boxes?

Here are several types:

http://www.litter-robot.com/default.aspx?ac=1 These are expensive, but they don't seem to break (we've had two for over two years), and they use garbage bags, not special things you have to buy for litter disposal.

There are other automatic boxes out there - the littermaid, the CatGenie - some people use them hassle-free for years - other people have trouble after two weeks.

There's also this: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...pc=1&N=0&Nty=1 It's not automatic - but you roll it instead of scooping it. Just roll them in the morning and roll them at night. Might be easier than scooping for you.

And if you want to put a litterbox in your living room, you can consider using something like this: http://www.catlitterfurniture.com/

If you do a search of "cat litter furniture" or "cat litter box furniture" you'll turn up lots of links for alternatives.

Laurie

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fred&Nermal

If the behaviour continues you may consider keeping your bedroom door closed when you are there.
actually, there isn't a door on my bedroom - & 2 of the boxes are in the bedroom closet, so they need access to the bedroom, anyway.
Originally Posted by LDG

Since you can't add more boxes, can you afford and have you considered automatic boxes?

Laurie
all 3 of my boxes are automated - littermaids.
the problems seems to have passed. no inappropriate pooing since my last post. thanks for all the ideas, tho!