Kitty litter for declawed cats

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In February I am adopting a two year old male Tonk who is front paw declawed. Is there a special kitty litter I need to switch to to make him more comfortable?

delilah_blue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The declawed cats I've had have always used regular clumping clay litter without a problem. I think it is usually just in the post-op period while the paws are healing from the declaw that you need to use special litter. Congrats on your new kitty!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Delilah_Blue

The declawed cats I've had have always used regular clumping clay litter without a problem. I think it is usually just in the post-op period while the paws are healing from the declaw that you need to use special litter. Congrats on your new kitty!
Mouse was declawed, Pixel is & Chip is - they all use the same litter as Java & Cable. i usually use Tidy Cats, because i prefer the container, altho i did buy some Fresh Step since i had a coupon. i also like Arm & Hammer. all clumping - unless the declaw is new [just post-surgery] he should be able to use any litter without a problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He was declawed over a year ago so he isn't post op. Thanks so much for the advice. I've never had a declawed kitty before!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for adopting the declawed cats rather then do it on purpose

As far as litter, IMO any of the scoopable litters should be fine - they are about the "softest" kind of litter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Thanks for adopting the declawed cats rather then do it on purpose

As far as litter, IMO any of the scoopable litters should be fine - they are about the "softest" kind of litter.
My boys aren't declawed, so this is going to be an adjustment.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

My boys aren't declawed, so this is going to be an adjustment.
i don't think there'll be an issue - Pixel & Chip are declawed, Java & Cable are not. Cable never seems to use her claws towards any of them, altho she does sometimes bite Pixel [usually during a grooming session
]. i keep soft paws on the clawed cats, but that's for me & the furniture, not for the other cats' protection!

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my guys are all front declawed (they were done by previous owners) and they most definitely prefer sandy soft scooping litter. and it must be unscented. mostly we use a grocery store brand that is similar in texture to Arm&Hammer unscented scoop. we've used some unscented litters with bigger pieces but they didn't like them as much.

they will tolerate petsmart brand unscented scoop, but it's really dusty. and they prefer the grocery store litter to Dr Elsey's Precious Cat scoop.

i think of it as the equivalent of walking barefoot on a gravel road, so you want the softest feeling litter. (i think of it that way because of declawing makes them walk on their pads, rather than their toes like they are supposed to)

there shouldn't be an issue because your other 2 kitties aren't declawed. my mom had a 4-paw declawed cat (he came to us that way, he was adopted at 8 yrs old by the family) and he ruled the roost, over the clawed cats.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My previous cat was front declawed (by her previous owners, they did it when they got her spayed right before we adopted her :/ ) and she never had a problem with any kind of litter...
We never had a problem with her being declawed and my foster cats not being, or with my dogs-- she could swat the dogs/cats into submission no problem without claws! She had a really strong "swing" and if she gave you a swat you really felt it...she actually terrorized my terrier (she would chase him swatting all the way--he's lucky she was declawed) and she also still sharpened her "claws" even though they were not there anymore.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gizmo was declawed by her original owner. She likes the Nature's Miracle, which has a very light and easily-dissipated scent, and a good light gravel texture. It's also flushable, etc.

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gizmocat

Gizmo was declawed by her original owner. She likes the Nature's Miracle, which has a very light and easily-dissipated scent, and a good light gravel texture. It's also flushable, etc.
Our last kitty was declawed and he also used regular litter with no problem.