How does this happen?

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Twice in the last week, Milo has come up to me and has not had a collar on. I keep finding it just laying on the floor somewhere...undone. Its not like he just slipped it off or anything, its actually been undone. Even worse is, its all frayed on the ends which makes it harder to get on and off.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was happening with me, and I found by snooping that Ferris' collar was actually a tad too loose, and when he was grooming himself, he'd get his jaw stuck under it, and in trying to unstick himself, the clasp would let go.

You might want to simply re-adjust the collar by a tiny bit.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlover19

Twice in the last week, Milo has come up to me and has not had a collar on. I keep finding it just laying on the floor somewhere...undone. Its not like he just slipped it off or anything, its actually been undone. Even worse is, its all frayed on the ends which makes it harder to get on and off.
Tiger does the SAME THING!
We have tried all different types of collars on him but he still manages to get them off. We have to leave it a little loose because he has a HUGE head and looks like he has a rubber band around his neck whenever he's wearing his collar... We are about to give up

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put it one hole tighter, but now it looks like its a little too tight. I can still fit fingers under it though. Zebras coller is always on but Milo hates wearing a collar so hes always trying to get it off.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my 2 are good for that. LuckyGirl has taught Louie how to get her collar off. He parades through the house like he's won a nobel peace prize, and she sits on the back of the couch like the queen of sheba! She never does return the favor and take his collar off though....

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sparkle did the same thing. She'd lose it outside, then a week or two later bring it back in, carrying it in her mouth.

My vet said it's too loose (as suggested already). She said to slip one finger between to tell but I do two 'cause I'm a softie.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prego used to wear breakaway collars and would always remove them. Now he wears a beastie band.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they look tight, too, but as long as I can slip two fingers under the collar easily, they are on loose enough, but not too loose than he can pop it off.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am still looking for a collar that Wellington lost in the house over three weeks ago - he is always getting them off. Ellie can break Beastie bands very easily, has a little more trouble (but not much) with a breakaway but usually keeps an elasticated buckled version on.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Sparkle did the same thing. She'd lose it outside, then a week or two later bring it back in, carrying it in her mouth.

My vet said it's too loose (as suggested already). She said to slip one finger between to tell but I do two 'cause I'm a softie.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch
Sounds like another thing that varies from vet to vet. Mine suggests two fingers as a rule.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats dont wear collars any more. But Lily used to wear one and kept getting them off and they would dissapear so now I use harnesses any time I might need to bring them any where. Other wise they are nakey kitties.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well my cats wear tags saying they are up to date on their shots, and another one for www.24petwatch.com with an id number incase they ever get out. I know they don't like their collars but I'd die if I lost them because they got out and then people couldnt find their homes.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spaldings favourite toy is a lost collar, he'll carry it around hissing and growling if the other cats get too close until I take it away and put it back on whoever lost it.
Usually once or twice a week I'll find one they seem to come off during vigorous play. At least I know the breakaway function works

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Luna lost her collars on a regular basis and one time we found 8 collars in the basement that were hers. What a pain! Rocket seems to loose them alot too, but they haven't lost them very recently. (oh great, now they will loose them all at once!) I have a drawer full of extra collars and ids for them now. I am a worry wart, and will not stand for my kitties having no id's on. I bet if we ever sell this house, the next owners will be finding cat collars up the ying yang!