Jaundice Cat

russ0268

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My sister recently had to remove her cat's from her home. It was going to be a temporary situation. They were staying at a friends home, someone they knew. The younger of her cats started developing a jaundice appearance and losing weight. She when to the vet and was told she was having kidney failer. then she was told that wasn't the problem. Well needless to say the cat died. Now her other cat is starting to develop the same problem. She is very attached two these beautiful cats and just does not understand why this happened.

Can cat's die from being home sick? And has anyone heard of jaundice in cat's and why it might happen?

Thanks

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jaundice is an indication of liver failure. Liver failure usually happens when the cat stops eating. The cats may have stopped eating due to the stress of moving, the new environment, any number of things. We lost our Simba about 2 years ago to this and I kick myself for not having noticed that he wasn't eating until it was too late.

Thanks to this site I now am more educated on cats and hopefully won't make the same mistakes twice.

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I lost a cat in march 2005. The vet never could figure it out but he went from eating and being helathy to drooling over water bowl in a day or so. he was completly yellow. Only guess is he was abused fior first year and it caught up with him...he also got run over by previous "owner:...captor is more it" since its happening after a move is there anything they could get into at the new house? medication clkeaners car fluids(were they allowed in garage or outside(exposed to poison maybe even through eatinga dead/dying prey. also were they ever tested for felv/fiv. RJ

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

russ0268

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's for your input. They brought the cat home and she seems to be doing better. They have been force feeding her which she is really good about, and the yellow by her ears seems to be gone. She has even been eating some dry food when given to her by hand. Her mood is great, purrs all the time, rolling on carpet. So they are not getting there hopes up. I suspected that she might have gotten into something, but we'll never know. Thanks

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by russ0268

That's for your input. They brought the cat home and she seems to be doing better. They have been force feeding her which she is really good about, and the yellow by her ears seems to be gone. She has even been eating some dry food when given to her by hand. Her mood is great, purrs all the time, rolling on carpet. So they are not getting there hopes up. I suspected that she might have gotten into something, but we'll never know. Thanks
That's great news. With liver failure the cat loses the desire to eat and unless they eat the liver won't start to function properly again so it's a vicious circle. Force feeding gets the liver functioning again and once that happens the cat will start eating again. So keep up the force feeding to get her liver going and keep trying to entice her with food.

yorda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Rio was diagnosed with liver disease and became jaundice last year due to the stress of me leaving town for 3 days causing her not to eat, despite staying at my home in the care of someone she had known for years. We were able to get the necessary supplies from our vet to give her SubQ fluids at home (to help reduce her stress) in addition to force feeding her. One thing both of my vets suggested was to start her on the Sam-E supplement, which is supposed to help improve liver function if I can remember correctly. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m glad to hear your sisterâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s cat is starting to feel better but those are a few things you might want to look into or discuss with her vet if things stop improving.

I would also never hesitate to get a second opinion even if you generally trust the vet as the vet we started her treatment with suggested euthanasia because he was sure she was going to die after not seeing improvement for several weeks, and my other vet was able to figure out what wasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t working with the first vets plan and saved her life. Both are great vets, but one just had more experience with and saw hope when dealing with cats with advanced liver problems, despite the fact the other vet clinic sounded like they knew what they were talking about. (sorry if I rambled!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

russ0268

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you ever had a cat with urinary problems? My cat Simon is dealing with it right now. He is not eating as much as he usually does and has become very aggresive with me when I give him his pills. He seemed to be improving, but has had two accidents outside his pan, last night and this morning.

The only thing that has changed about his home life is that I put him on a diet, only feeding him twice a day instead of having food out all the time. I have been doing this for two weeks. My vet told me it is the only way to get him weight down, which is 17 lbs 6 oz he is a large cat and gained over a pound over the last year. A good weight for him would be around 14 lbs, so he is a big boy. My other cat Sofie is not even 8 lbs.

Starting Wednesday night when I put his dry down for him to eat he showed no interest in the food. I feed him some canned food in the morning before I leave for work, a normal routine and he ate it up. Got him to eat some dry food Thurday night, but Friday morning he again showed no interest in the dry but would eat the canned.

I'm worried about him and want to make sure I am doing everything I can to get him healthy again.

I appreciate any help you can offer.