New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Your Feral???

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Do feral kittens/ cats meow like they are barking or howling normally?
Before you say about the howling bit Quicksilver is only 3 1/2 months so she can't be nutared or in heat.
Because when Quicksilver wants something she meow/barks and holds it as if she is howling, at you. Other times if she has just woken up up or notist you come threw the door she will meow/bark at you. Sound like "ow"
My older cat Creep doesn't do it. She just cutely meows at you or head butts you.
post #2 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kura View Post
Do feral kittens/ cats meow like they are barking or howling normally?
Before you say about the howling bit Quicksilver is only 3 1/2 months so she can't be nutared or in heat.
Because when Quicksilver wants something she meow/barks and holds it as if she is howling, at you. Other times if she has just woken up up or notist you come threw the door she will meow/bark at you. Sound like "ow"
My older cat Creep doesn't do it. She just cutely meows at you or head butts you.
Are you certain of her age?? Kittens can become pregnant as early as 4 months of age. Some kittens are naturally more vocal than others...it may have nothing to do with her status as a former feral.

Katie
post #3 of 18
Ferris is a feral rescue, and he makes the teensiest little mews you've ever heard, and he's 5 months old now.

Every cat is different, just like people have different voices, so do cats.
post #4 of 18
Here is my feral girl.
She was trapped at 7 months of age and gave birth shortly thereafter.
She chirps, sings and trills.
post #5 of 18
Thread Starter 
I'm sure that she is 3 1/2 months. I think because she is part feral that her sex organs are developing more quicker than a normal domestics. Thats just what I think. I would post pic of her back area to show you why I think this but I'm not should if I would be allowed. I know she's not in heat because she would be howling non stop, plus she would be peeing every where and would smell. (which she doesn't)
I talked to the vet about nutering her, when she was being treated for cat flu. She said that Quicksilver couldn't be nutered until she was 5 1/2 months, as thats when her sex organs would be mature enough, to be removed and it would stunt her growth. But looking on this site and reading all of you happy and sad storys, has made me think, that maybe I should get her nutered sooner than 5 1/2 months.
I live in England and I'm not sure if the regulations are different about nutering than in other countrys or not. If it is possable to have her nutered at 4 months and there will be no bad repercussions, then I will definaty nuter her.
post #6 of 18
If your cat is a female, her sex organs are on the INSIDE, not the outside. If you are seeing things growing on the outside, you just might have a boy!

Please post the pic of your kitty's behind, and we can let you know what you are seeing there.
post #7 of 18
I don't know where in the UK you are, but I'm in London and none of the vets near me do neuters or spays before 6 months old. Early neutering is certainly not the norm in the UK, if it is available at all!
post #8 of 18
Thread Starter 
Nearly lost me hand but here



I don't think it is balls growing. To me it looks like her privet area is swollen. Also the vet told me she was a girl. Every so often she pays alot of attion to her privet area. I'm not sure if this is an indcation that she will soon have fully developed sex organs.

P.S
I know that female sex organs grow on the inside.
post #9 of 18
I wonder why the vets in the UK don't neuter the cats earlier?? Seems like your girl may be growing up faster than expected.
I hope this doesn't go over the line, but if she does go into heat, you might be able to find a "teaser" male (such as is done for high-dollar mares, such as racehorses) who will "cover" her [not necessarily penetrate] and her body will be fooled into going out of estrus, and she will be able to be spayed. If she doesn't , she will go in and out of season with frustrating, frequent and unpredictable regularity. Maybe you could post in the Breeders Forum, and see how they handle these situations. My suggestion was by my vet, a country vet who has a very practical attitude, and it worked enough to get a rescue I had, over a skin infection on her abdomen so that she could be spayed.
Better yet, find a vet who will spay her soon, and at a reasonable price, or give hormones or something, to help her get out of heat, cuz it seems that time is indeed approaching
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kura View Post
I'm sure that she is 3 1/2 months. I think because she is part feral that her sex organs are developing more quicker than a normal domestics. Thats just what I think. I would post pic of her back area to show you why I think this but I'm not should if I would be allowed. I know she's not in heat because she would be howling non stop, plus she would be peeing every where and would smell. (which she doesn't)
I talked to the vet about nutering her, when she was being treated for cat flu. She said that Quicksilver couldn't be nutered until she was 5 1/2 months, as thats when her sex organs would be mature enough, to be removed and it would stunt her growth. But looking on this site and reading all of you happy and sad storys, has made me think, that maybe I should get her nutered sooner than 5 1/2 months.
I live in England and I'm not sure if the regulations are different about nutering than in other countrys or not. If it is possable to have her nutered at 4 months and there will be no bad repercussions, then I will definaty nuter her.

There is an excellent study put out by the Winn Foundation regarding pediatric spay/neuter...you may want to share it with your vet:

http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/repo...ly-neuter.html

That being said....just make sure you keep your cat indoors only until she has been spayed.

Katie
post #11 of 18
Thread Starter 
Awww my little girl is growing up
Am I right in assuming that the reason she is developing quicker than normal is because she is feral? Ist this also the reason that shes being acting more aggrive toward me and Creep lately? (I had a period 2 weeks ago and she would stop attacking me)
I'm gonna call the vet tomorrow morning and ask how soon I can nuter her, as she is coming into heat soon. The vet I go to in my area told me that it would cost around £38 to nuter her last month. Not sure if thats a good price or not.
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kura View Post
Awww my little girl is growing up
Am I right in assuming that the reason she is developing quicker than normal is because she is feral? Ist this also the reason that shes being acting more aggrive toward me and Creep lately? (I had a period 2 weeks ago and she would stop attacking me)
I'm gonna call the vet tomorrow morning and ask how soon I can nuter her, as she is coming into heat soon. The vet I go to in my area told me that it would cost around £38 to nuter her last month. Not sure if thats a good price or not.
That seems like a really good price! It's going to cost me £70 to have my boy neutered and get his umbilical hernia fixed (but the hernia is only an incision and repair I think, so much of the cost is the neutering including anaesthesia)
post #13 of 18
I honestly do not believe it has anything to do with her being feral - cats are all different, just like people are, and some go into puberty earlier than do others. It has nothing to do with where they were born.
post #14 of 18
Thread Starter 
The vet told me for a boy to be nutered would cost around £45.
TNR1 thanks for the link just red it and I think I will get her nutered as quick as possable.
Thanks to everyones help in this thread.
I'll let you know how she gets on at the vets.
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kura View Post
The vet told me for a boy to be nutered would cost around £45.
TNR1 thanks for the link just red it and I think I will get her nutered as quick as possable.
Thanks to everyones help in this thread.
I'll let you know how she gets on at the vets.
I'm still getting confused by your posts - you are quoting the cost to neuter a BOY cat, yet you keep saying its a SHE, which means you'd want her to be spayed, not neutered - they are two very different surgeries. You cannot neuter a girl cat, you can only spay her, which is called an oviohysterectomy.

The two different surgeries also have different costs - you should ask your vet what the cost of a spay is.
post #16 of 18
Thread Starter 
I was reply to Epona as she told me how much it would cost for her boy to be nutered. I was just saying how much it would cost at my vets thats all.
I thought nurtering was a two way of expression of both oporations. Sorry if I got it wrong. If I did I'll go and slap her for fibbing. (she went to vet school)
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kura View Post
I was reply to Epona as she told me how much it would cost for her boy to be nutered. I was just saying how much it would cost at my vets thats all.
I thought nurtering was a two way of expression of both oporations. Sorry if I got it wrong. If I did I'll go and slap her for fibbing. (she went to vet school)
Oh, ok, I'm sorry. I was sitting here like:

post #18 of 18
Thread Starter 
I called vet this morning and they still insised that she should be 5 months. When I said about why you guys had said and showed me, they said to book her in so they could see her for themselves. I've booked her in for next wedensday, to be looked at not done. Its gonna cost me around £20 for them just to see her @_@
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Caring for Strays and Ferals