Is my cat neutered or not?

vinnyzcrx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im watching my friends cat who is defidently a boy, and i want to know if he has been neutered or not. the owner dosent know, so im hopeing that there is some way to differentiate.

delilah_blue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If he's not neutered, he'll have testicles. If he is neutered, he won't. Feel around!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well he could have small or flat testicles. My boy was neutered at like 9 weeks and he has little ones that are sort of flattened against his body if that makes sense. Can you snap a picture of his behind and maybe we can tell?

Also if he isn't neutered, he would probably spray and just generally stink especially when he goes to the bathroom. Unneutered male urine is just horrific.

delilah_blue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you mean his scrotum? My understanding of the neuter procedure in males is that the testicles themselves are completely removed, although the skin covering them (the scrotum) would still be present (although empty!). Am I incorrect?

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And after a neuter,for some time, there will be some swelling.Which could look as if he hasn't been neutered unless you look REAL close.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Delilah_Blue

Do you mean his scrotum? My understanding of the neuter procedure in males is that the testicles themselves are completely removed, although the skin covering them (the scrotum) would still be present (although empty!). Am I incorrect?
I think it depends on the vet, all my males still have their sacs but my sisters cats in Australia have nothing there, just like my male dog.

chaunte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
all the cats I've seen that hadn't been fixed, have an obvious set of balls.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Delilah_Blue

I meant like the sac. Usually there is something there, it's not like it is just compeltely flat where a neutered male could be mistaken for a female. You can still definately see the sac but it is just not as full I guess you could say.

girlieq

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A vet can easily tell if a male cat has been neutered (unless, of course, you're cursed like me and find one who is bilatarally cryptorchid). Just looking, it'd be impossible to tell if a male has been neutered, you'd need to feel around.

And, if you don't feel like getting all up close and personal, Jen's absolutely right. There isn't a litter on earth that can hide the smell of tomcat.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just looking, it'd be impossible to tell if a male has been neutered, you'd need to feel around.
If the sac is flat,then you KNOW it has been neutered...........or both the testicles haven't dropped,which is rare,I've heard.
I can definatly tell by looking that Corwin has been neutered!